View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Crab Hammer V 1.1 (edited May 23) - shockwave of death! 

Post Crab Hammer V 1.1 (edited May 23) - shockwave of death!
Was thinking about whether to post or not, but decided to anyways...
--Description--
I saw a youtube video about a crab-loaded rocket (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6eZ7mAiFOI) and decided to do the same, but have the rocket gib them instead of adding them to the inventory, so you can also use it as a normal rocket. Basically what this mod of the rocket MK I does is gib 50 crabs on destruction in a small confined space via teleporter and concentrator units inside the rocket, hence the additional cost. The crabs instantly die, sending a shock wave that randomly damages most weak-medium actors, but doesn't harm the brain, unless the shrapnel from the various crab shells actually hit the brain. Damages range from 1 limb lost, to instant death. An organic fuselage gives it improved suspension, and it uses the same teleporter that transports crabs to transport troops and equipment to the battlefield.
Here's a demonstration of the Crab Hammer's abilities:
-The Crab Hammer:
-Unloading a dummy:
-Before the explosion:
-After the explosion (the dummy on the left is untouched, and both brains are un-damaged):
--Explanation--
It seems that some people misunderstood the principles of the Crab hammer, so I will attempt to explain it here. The rocket is NOT filled with crabs the same way your would buy them; The rocket gibs them upon the rocket's destruction, which is why it doesn't drop crabs when you open the doors, and why you can still load/unload buy-able items. When the rocket does get destroyed, whether it be scuttle, or shot, or simply destroyed by another crab hammer, the crabs tend to spawn in a relatively confined space. This overlapping causes them to instantaneously die, and the force of the explosions of multiple crabs sends the shell fragments and organs in a rather deadly shower of crab shrapnel. Although I'm not sure why, the side-effect of all those crabs (or any other actors, I think) dying is that the pressure from it is so great that it tends to gib weaker actors, because the gib impulse limit (or impulse damage threshold, I'm not sure either) is not high enough to withstand it. Why it kills some actors that are really far away, or why it barely affects some actors underneath them (assuming an anti-shrapnel cover is above them) is still unknown to me. The reason why it gibs crabs instead of something more deadly, or more crabs, is because it is meant for fair play (no insta-gib brains, or kill everything on map).

Damages pretty much everything except doors, celing-mounted brains (rare but possible), etc.
Does damage actors, crafts, devices, etc.
Get yours Today!

EDIT: Next version (V 1.1) out. Some noticable changes are:
-new sprite (made of crab sprites)
-sounds, gibs and wounds modded to sound more organic (bones cracking, ughs, gahs, and hwehs)

--Version History--
V 1.0 (May 22): Initial release
V 1.1 (May 23): Organic version replaces metal version

Attachments:
File comment: Version 1.1, essentially a crab-themed rocket that gibs crabs when dead.
Crab Hammer.rte.rar [1.18 MiB]
Downloaded 664 times

Last edited by Point.blank on Sat May 23, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 23, 2009 12:28 am

Post Re: Crab Hammer - shockwave of death!
Interesting?

Sat May 23, 2009 12:56 am
Profile WWW

Location: Standing on the edge of a large pit of lava facing away from it.
So does it propel the crab bits away or does it just gib and it pushes itself away like the original crab bomb like thing.

Sat May 23, 2009 1:00 am

Good idea, but what you should do is have the sprite be a Mother Crab with a rocket engine strapped to the bottom of it and on top, the carapace stretched up to rocket height. Have the "door open" noise be BoneCrack1 or whatever it is that sounds when a crab gibs.

Sat May 23, 2009 1:11 am

@ JJA79: The force of the explosion sends the various gibs flying towards anyone who actually survived it. It still functions as a normal rocket though.
@ Fredrick: Actually, that's a better idea than a modded rocket sprite, I'll see what will become of it.
@ Contrary: Not sure about that, but I think that is what this craft is supposed to achieve; the exact mechanics of this phenomenon have yet to be explained...
@ Saint: Not just a crab bomb, it also doubles as a troop transport, if a bit more fragile.
@ Miles_T3hR4t: That would not be fair play (this is fair, more or less), and that's why I had it gib crabs; it does more or less random damage to both (or all)forces, and doesn't damage stationary brains as a bonus.

Last edited by Point.blank on Sat May 23, 2009 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 23, 2009 1:40 am

I thought crab bombs worked by overloading CC with too many actors.

Sat May 23, 2009 2:50 am

So it is just a crab bomb in craft form?
Cool I guess.
Not that I can do much better, sorry.

Sat May 23, 2009 3:46 am

set it to gib into 255 Dreadnoughts. the result will be it hits the MOID max and gibs everything down to 255. If your UNlucky, it will gib your brain. If your lucky, it will gib your enemy's brain first.

considering things die before the bits and pieces hit, I think stuff dies from the MOID limit.

Sat May 23, 2009 4:07 am
Profile YIM WWW

Miles, the bomb currently works by breaking the MOID limit. You don't need 255 dreadnoughts. Dreads have about 7 MOIDs.

Sat May 23, 2009 10:35 pm

Location: In between your sister's legs, showing her how to use a... PS3 controller!
I think this one is better. The crab bomb is not a good tactic.

Sat May 23, 2009 10:36 pm

Post Re: Crab Hammer V 1.1 (edited May 23) - shockwave of death!
Bwahahaha, lovin' the new sprite.

Sun May 24, 2009 9:25 am

Post Re: Crab Hammer V 1.1 (edited May 23) - shockwave of death!
New sprite: YGMDL.

Thank you for being open to suggestion.

Mon May 25, 2009 4:05 am

Fredrick wrote:
Good idea, but what you should do is have the sprite be a Mother Crab with a rocket engine strapped to the bottom of it and on top, the carapace stretched up to rocket height. Have the "door open" noise be BoneCrack1 or whatever it is that sounds when a crab gibs.

oooooo this is a great idea.

crab bombs are FTW!

Tue May 26, 2009 1:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]