View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Mod Contest Voter Poll 05/09 - 06/09 

Which mod is best?
Poll ended at Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:18 am
Nuclear Pumped Laser 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Bunker Blaster 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Zero Point Well Gun 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
The Explosive Company 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
MineField Deployer 21%  21%  [ 12 ]
Plasmagun 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Flak Cannon & Flak Spray Cannon 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Instability Inc. 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
Armouries Extended 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Banana 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Crabomb 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Heavy Incinerator 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 58

Mod Contest Voter Poll 05/09 - 06/09 

Post Re: Mod Contest Voter Poll 05/09 - 06/09
Hahah, the contest fudged up anyways. :lol:
Its pretty funny to see how retarded the people are to base their opinions on presentations.

I have suggestion though: Instead of having to download each seperately, zip all the mods in a single pack in their own rte's and have only the names of the mods visible on the topic itself. Leave the presentation to the mods themselves within the game. The module icon, descriptions and visual appearance of the objects will work much better than any presentation you can make. And it will give an honest and straigth picture about the mod.

By having them to download the whole pack, they will be forced to test every mod which is the point.

But thats next time guys, this was a good experiment though and some really great and original mods showed up.

Fri May 29, 2009 11:53 am

I always wondered why we never had any mod contests.
Now my question has been answered.

Fri May 29, 2009 12:31 pm
happy carebear mom

numgun wrote:
The module icon, descriptions and visual appearance of the objects will work much better than any presentation you can make.

Sounds like a plan. Easier for me too :grin:

Roy-G-Biv wrote:

Well, this got a little bit farther than the last one I remember, which I believe was hosted by CherryT.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm thinking the 3rd of June for the start of the next contest. Any opinions on that?

Fri May 29, 2009 1:26 pm

Depends on the concept... I'll be having semester tests so I'll probably won't enter the next one.

Fri May 29, 2009 2:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I'll enter the next one.

My course just finished so I'll have time to make an effort instead of making it in a single evening :)

Also I completely agree with Numgun, the mods should be bundled together and left to sell themselves. Presentation is just as important a part of a mod as anything else.

Fri May 29, 2009 3:50 pm

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
Exalion wrote:
FLAME WARS.

Most of these mods are terrible, they're are a few exceptions. (the minelayer is not one of them).

Miles, WATCH YOUR EGO SON

Its not a matter of ego at this point, I've lost and admit that, but someone said that X mod had the most DLs with 32, which 32 was NOT the highest, 38 was, which was mine and it surprised me. Also 32 wasn't the 'most DLs' it was TIED, there are multiples at 32.

All I was saying is that someone conveniently ignored my mod.

For the record, I downloaded all of them to test them out. Pictures mean nothing if it's not entertaining to use, so I tried them all out and voted for the one I used the most.

The mine layer was the most hassle-free one to use. You just point, stack up your bombs in a wall so they block your enemy, plant some C4, get away, wait for enemies to pile up, detonate and repeat the process. Plus, it was fun to get tangled up in them and try and escape before an enemy blew it up in my face. It's simplistic and easy to use without killing the game play.

For a review on a few others...

The ZPW was a little confusing because it didn't always work. I'd fire the thing right over the head of my enemy and sometimes they would get sucked in, sometimes they wouldn't. Plus, when it exploded, it didn't necessarily kill anything. I would have to give it a good grade for visual appeal, though. It looks really cool when it starts spinning.

The EX Laser lagged the heck out of my computer, so I discarded it. The effect was alright, though.

I liked the mushroom nuke's explosion and charred victim.

I don't remembe much about instability, but it reminded me of a missile launcher pack. Nice sprites and stuff, but it wasn't anything that I didn't already have a bunch of. Maybe I missed something about it, but that's all I got about it.

The rest I didn't really try because of how the pictures gave it a slightly bad review. The laser one just told me that it was a definite suicide weapon. The Flak one was apparently incompatible so I didn't try it either. The bunker clearer looked cool, but it was just way too overpowered and seemed like it wouldn't be fun to use.

As for the rest, I don't remember much about them, but I remembered the mine layer well. Next topic should be better.

Fri May 29, 2009 4:53 pm

Duh102 wrote:
numgun wrote:
The module icon, descriptions and visual appearance of the objects will work much better than any presentation you can make.

Sounds like a plan. Easier for me too :grin:

Roy-G-Biv wrote:

Well, this got a little bit farther than the last one I remember, which I believe was hosted by CherryT.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm thinking the 3rd of June for the start of the next contest. Any opinions on that?

That sounds like a good idea, but my participation depends purely on what the theme is, and what is or isn't aloud. What will the theme be, what will the time constraint be, will we use bunker pieces, and will we use Lua?

Lua, Optional lua, lua only?

Ultric wrote:
The ZPW was a little confusing because it didn't always work. I'd fire the thing right over the head of my enemy and sometimes they would get sucked in, sometimes they wouldn't. Plus, when it exploded, it didn't necessarily kill anything. I would have to give it a good grade for visual appeal, though. It looks really cool when it starts spinning.

You have to actually hit, its a projectile that when it actually hits something it turns into a gravity well. its not actually spinning, it just looks like that, that was a total accident. for most actors just a single shot to the torso will typically explode them, dreadnoughts you can unload into the top of them and they implode, same with dropships and rockets. If your in a hallway, aim for the enemy's feet or the spot on the ceiling above there head. Unfortunately it doesn't work on doors or brains. Also if you want to increase the strength of it manually you can tweak the mass/sharpness of "LadyLightning" in codex.ini if you increase the velocity it just shreds actors and increases the area. If you make it heavy enough to pull dreadnoughts you will start to unhinge doors.

Fri May 29, 2009 8:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Actually, im glad i didnt enter this one, seeing as there would have been no point to it. I just think next time, one .rte should be posted, with nothing else, and posting just isnt allowed, you can only vote in the topic. Just my opinion.

Fri May 29, 2009 9:24 pm
happy carebear mom

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
That sounds like a good idea, but my participation depends purely on what the theme is, and what is or isn't aloud. What will the theme be, what will the time constraint be, will we use bunker pieces, and will we use Lua?

Bunker pieces? I have no idea where that came from.
The theme will be decided by the 1st place winner, which looks like it will be the minelayer.
Time constraint will be two weeks modding, one week voting again, and Lua will be optional.

The Mind wrote:
I just think next time, one .rte should be posted, with nothing else, and posting just isnt allowed, you can only vote in the topic.

The mods tried the voting only thing, but the forum software doesn't allow it right now (I'm sure WJ could get it going if he really worked at it). One .rte would be doable, but is it really necessary? If I packaged all the .rte's into one .rar, wouldn't people just dump them in their directory to the same effect?

Fri May 29, 2009 10:09 pm

Duh102 wrote:
Miles_T3hR4t wrote:

Bunker pieces? I have no idea where that came from.
The theme will be decided by the 1st place winner, which looks like it will be the minelayer.
Time constraint will be two weeks modding, one week voting again, and Lua will be optional.

The Mind wrote:
I just think next time, one .rte should be posted, with nothing else, and posting just isnt allowed, you can only vote in the topic.

The mods tried the voting only thing, but the forum software doesn't allow it right now (I'm sure WJ could get it going if he really worked at it). One .rte would be doable, but is it really necessary? If I packaged all the .rte's into one .rar, wouldn't people just dump them in their directory to the same effect?

I mean personally, i didnt bother trying all the mods because of so many rte's, so i mean id really support the one rte thing

on the other note, i mean that the topic is open to posting, just nobody is allowed. This could prevent byast in my opinion.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:25 pm
happy carebear mom

The Mind wrote:
I mean personally, i didnt bother trying all the mods because of so many rte's, so i mean id really support the one rte thing

Shame on thee :roll:

But really, if all the .rtes were posted in the same .rar, wouldn't the effect be the same? Dropping them all into your cortex directory like that would be exactly the same as having them all in one .rte, but for neatness of your folder.

The Mind wrote:
on the other note, i mean that the topic is open to posting, just nobody is allowed. This could prevent bias in my opinion.

Nah, we need some discussion, like criticism, and posting another topic just for criticism is a bit silly.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
I love it how you think 32 > 38
At the time of writing, zalo's was the highest, at 32 downloads.

I agree with numgun on the one zip thing though. it would make it easier and would mean the lazier people on the forum would still be able to try out all the mods, and that all the mods got the same amount of downloads.

Sun May 31, 2009 12:49 am
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

Last day to vote, if anyone hasn't and wants to.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:41 pm

I'm unstickying this, so it can be down with the standard topics, and more people will see it.

There has been a problem where very few people have actually managed to see the topic, thus limiting the voting range.

Duh, for the next one, you want to put this in Cortex Command General.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:27 pm
Profile WWW

hey waidaminute... how come the poll's re-opened?!?

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next