View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Just some Power - Now with a Template! 

Post Re: Just some Power - Now with a Template!
Ultric wrote:
Duh102 wrote:
Darlos9D wrote:
and then you actually have to connect your bunker modules in such a way that the power can reach your brain and any other systems you want to run.

I suppose you could most easily do this with Lua-connected MOSRotatings pinned into the walls of tunnels that look for other connectors with power within a very short distance (if object.isPowered == true then).

Hm, I think that could be possible. Have it search the table of IDs and compare it with the actors in a short distance. That would improve this, but it would be more complicated because you'd need to make them invincible or something so they could be put across corridors/walkways. It would be cooler if you could shoot it and get a power overload and watch it explode...

Actually, I'm pretty sure you could just put the conduits inside the walls, floors, and ceilings to where they'd have to dig through a bit to get to them. The only problem is that they couldn't pass through the empty space of the corridors themselves. Then again, you could just make special endpoints that see each other and assume that the conduit is snaking around behind or in front of the corridor where you can't see it. It'd be just as easy to dig to and destroy those endpoints.

You wouldn't even have to make these conduits part of the actual corridor bunker modules. The could just be their own bunker modules that are pinned objects set inside their own little cookie cutout, so you could set them in the walls.

Sun May 31, 2009 5:03 pm
Profile YIM
happy carebear mom

Darlos9D wrote:
The could just be their own bunker modules that are pinned objects set inside their own little cookie cutout, so you could set them in the walls.

This is what I was thinking. You can easily make "cables" with BG data for the conduit bunkermodule.
(forgive my horrible drawing skills) The light grey box is the actual Lua'd-up MOSRotting, and the light blue are the "cables", red boxes being the connecting points for other bunkermodule power transferring modules.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:54 am

OR OR OR!!!

This: Image

[I had to resize it, but you get the idea]

Take a set of bunkers, normal average bunkers, and add in two gaps, with a special "plug". The plug connects between modules and has an on or off state. Its on if the light blue wire you see is touching it and a power source/on plug. This way, it forms a relay over long distance, and if a plug is down, the system is down. Simple. You can get fancy with 4-way hubs, batteries/surge protectors, half on/powered states, ect. It will take fancy code and Data's help, but I think true power is the coolest element we can realistically add to CC.

Some diagrams:

In this, you see the wires [I called them beams, but wires would be easier/realistic] Form a relay from generator, plug set, plug/door set. I don't know much about Lua, but maybe it could check if there is a path from the wire to the plug or something. Also, the wires could both be vital. The top wire could control the motor, while the bottom controls locking. If the top was destroyed, the door would no longer open. If the bottom was destroyed, the door would no longer close/open/open for both teams.

Here someone has bombed/dug/something-ed through the connection. This means the next plug in the relay has no connection, and is turned off. If this was the above diagram, the plug/door combo would be missing power, meaning the motor it was connected to is no longer functioning.

If we wanted to get really serious, the brain could also require power. If the power to the brain was cut, the brain would no longer be able to switch between actors/be stuck on the current actor/start to die.

Interesting situations, no?

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:38 am
Profile WWW

I was thinking, that there should be power cascades(overloads) to make things interesting and to add another danger of building cheap.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:05 am

You should have levels of generators, ones for so and so watts, etc etc.
And it should be able to not have enough power.

You could have a door on the generator that opens when a robot comes by, and the robot can walk in and make the generator output more. But the robot couldn't get back out.

Or maybe expensive robots that sit by the generator somehow making it work better, but if they leave the area or die, the bonus stops.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:38 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

In the future we haven't perfected magnetic induction power?

Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:00 am

Well, we haven't mastered magnetic lobsters, so no!

Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:11 am
Profile WWW

Holy...
What did I start here?

Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:49 pm

Post Re: Just some Power
Lizard wrote:
Offical contest anyone?

Someone should atleast make a mission where one would have to protect the generator with the generator making the doors invulnerable and other things.

PROBLEM!
Then the enemy will fire into the door like the stupid ♥♥♥♥ they are, because they know it is a door.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:11 pm

Too many MOSRs, it would lag to all hell.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:17 pm
A HUMAN BRAIN, SAFELY INSULATED FROM THE TERRORS OF HYPERSPACE

Location: Somewhere beyond the endless sea of hyperspace, fighting for your right to call a planet home.
Post Re: Just some Power
Saint wrote:
Lizard wrote:
Offical contest anyone?

Someone should atleast make a mission where one would have to protect the generator with the generator making the doors invulnerable and other things.

PROBLEM!
Then the enemy will fire into the door like the stupid ♥♥♥♥ they are, because they know it is a door.

Solution: Make the doors on team 2, and only open when the power is cut. : |

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:17 pm
happy carebear mom

HappyBirthday wrote:
Too many MOSRs, it would lag to all hell.

Not really. Pinned MOSRots are relatively low in resource usage. Plus, you wouldn't be using them all over your base, only where you need the power to go. Plus you can combine them into longer versions too, for long tunnels or shafts.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:20 pm

mail2345 wrote:
I was thinking, that there should be power cascades(overloads) to make things interesting and to add another danger of building cheap.

My house doesn't explode when a fuse goes out. I would hope that future buildings wouldn't have this problem.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:48 pm
Profile YIM

Grif wrote:
In the future we haven't perfected magnetic induction power?

Maybe, but how fun would that be in a game? It's like saying "In the future wouldn't we have settled international conflict/brainwashed the people?" Then where would the game be?

Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Falcon X wrote:
Maybe, but how fun would that be in a game? It's like saying "In the future wouldn't we have settled international conflict/brainwashed the people?" Then where would the game be?

We did brainwash the people! See: ronin!

Also forgive me for quoting cracked.com but:

Quote:
Yes, we realize that even today's plane vs. plane dogfights take place with the aircraft miles apart, and doing it realistically on film wouldn't be all that much fun to watch. But that's the point; your sci-fi battle shouldn't be recycling either classic war movies or modern war footage. You should be giving us something new.

Isn't that what it's all supposed to be about? It's sci-fi, guys. Stop recycling The Longest Day and give us something that will blow our minds.

Why bother sticking to reality when we're obviously far into the future? Do something interesting; new; DIFFERENT.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next