View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Black lands Armys 

Post Re: Black lands Armys
<demetrius> and tell those ♥♥♥♥♥♥s to start being constructive or stop posting
<demetrius> posting literally the same thing over and over again with nothing to improve it doesn't help anybody

sounds pretty simple

Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:50 am

As much as I agree that these sprites are ♥♥♥♥, and that his grammar is not perfect, I think his code is sound, and he's doing well for a new modder. Stop ripping on him for things that even the most experienced of modders leave out.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:54 am

Solid blocks of pixels are not attractive. If you want to convey a solid color, you can still add detail with shading and, well, detailing. At least try to give the illusion of detail. This goes for a lot of your sprites. Your rocket, for example, is flat grey. Not appealing at all, to be honest. Sprites should convey the third dimension, not just two-dimensional outlines. Take a look at the vanilla sprites and how they're detailed and shaded. Also, some of these are obviously resprites, as the gibs are the same. Resprites are fine if done properly, but not in this case.

As for coding, it's not the best. Gameplay with these is not that fun, although it's not like you've been receiving too much feedback on it. There's no real creativity in the weapons, at least not as far as actual gameplay is concerned. Most of them are just generic SMGs and stuff. Also, the healing effect on your soldier is bugged a little and can heal him beyond 100. Fix? The Guardian is really the only thing I can see worth using in a game, if only for the shield, which hasn't been done too often. Otherwise, the snipers and MGs are not at all that fun to use.

On the mod as a whole, none of it feels very coherent. I can see that you tried to slap some BLA labels onto some weapons, but there's no actual theme to the entire mod. Color-wise, sure, everything's blackish, but the outlines aren't consistent in color and the colors themselves vary from white and black to blue and white. The shapes of the guns and actors don't impart a general theme, either.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:49 am
Profile WWW

Lafe, if you need a spriter, I could do it. If you need to contact me about this; check my account for info (This also goes out to anyone else in need of a spriter).

Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:21 am

well this turned out decently, sprites aside its not that bad. also i helped him with some of the grammer stuff, remember lafe if you need any help with your grammer and spelling, just send it over to me and i can fix it up!

also i can help with sprites.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:33 am

Ha, this is so ♥♥♥♥ and I can't criticise constructively either.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:33 pm

tea wrote:
"this is so crap". [/color]
:grin:

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:15 pm

I would like to add that anhalator is actually spelt Annihilator in english.

Unless of course it's the language of this mystical 2D race

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:44 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

The main problem with this, aside from sprites, is that is very overpowered. Other mods out there that are overpowered do so in a pretty way, or in a way that is interesting to use. On the other hand, these just fling a lot of bullets and have a lot of recoil.
Another glaring problem is the Lua scripts. They don't work the way they should. I looked at some of the files you have, and... Well, you just took the Lua scripts from the Medic Drone, copied them, and changed the comments. One of them seems to be changed to always heal your brain, even if that's not the actor it's applied to. I would suggest that you either get somebody to do the Lua scripts for you, or leave them out until you're comfortable enough with the language to get them working.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:11 pm
Profile WWW

*Opens God.lua*

TLB is right, clean your lua.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2