View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 ASHPD (Portal Gun!) 

Post ASHPD (Portal Gun!)
RoboLee here and proud to present the one and only... ASHPD (AKA the Portal Gun, full name: Aperture Science Hand-held Portal Device)

above you can see that in the first portal jump he goes in a portal and comes out the other with his momentum conserved, but his velocity in the Y direction is reversed (unfortunately I captured this after I thought I got cos and sin mixed up, so the X and Y values effectively got swapped, gif below shows how it should work). In the second portal jump his momentum and direction is conserved (this is the default portal behaviour, press X to swap to the previous behaviour and press Z to change back to this behaviour)

(note all the gifs loop, and I'm too lazy to make them loop nicely, so it jumps at the end of the gif to the start)
here's a better gif of the old portal algorithm:

when you press the R key both portals disappear:
and when you shoot a new portal the old one of the same type will disappear:

featuring:
portal goodness on any map
and portal everything and anything from any mod
relative portal enter/exit positions
momentum conserved
when you fire new portals, old portals are removed from the scene
press R to remove both portals
two portal modes, the default new one which does not change direction of the portal-ing objects and the old one which was based on the line/surface momentum changing, change with Z (new) and X (old) keys.
buy from the "Tools" tab in the buy menu.

Attachments:
File comment: update 1
ASHPD.rte.rar [369.7 KiB]
Downloaded 1238 times

Last edited by robolee on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:22 am

Post Re: ASHPD
I'll make a gif in a few mins...

EDIT:
Nice job.

I found the firing to be a bit finicky, ex at the tutorial obstacle course, I tried fireing down, it spawned at portal at the floor below.

I would have also like some way to chose which portal.

Anyway, here's your gif.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:24 am

Could you add a timer delay to the portals so you don't end up continually going between them rapidly?

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:56 am
Profile WWW

Yeah, that and maybe a basic portal navigation map would be nice.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 am

Nice mod.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:56 am

Image Image

The second most fun thing after the psy abilities.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:39 am

Well done. But veeery laggy.

But I don't like how these new portals aren't directional. That really takes away from them in my opinion. I think it's even more important than conserving the relative position of the object with the entrance portal on the exit. Although having both would be ideal, and entirely possible, I suspect.

I still think you should handle directions of the portals manually, based on the operator's aim angle.

Did you ever try out the other alignment method I suggested to you in a PM a long time ago?
Where you shoot parallel objects, and the portal is placed at the midpoint between their gibbing positions and angled from the relative position of the two?

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:47 am

Azukki wrote:
Well done. But veeery laggy.

But I don't like how these new portals aren't directional. That really takes away from them in my opinion. I think it's even more important than conserving the relative position of the object with the entrance portal on the exit. Although having both would be ideal, and entirely possible, I suspect.

I still think you should handle directions of the portals manually, based on the operator's aim angle.

Did you ever try out the other alignment method I suggested to you in a PM a long time ago?
Where you shoot parallel objects, and the portal is placed at the midpoint between their gibbing positions and angled from the relative position of the two?

You mean the rotation of the object or the momentum of the object? Coz my bullets come of of whatever direction I shot into the portal.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:20 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

The rotation of the PORTALS.

Portals are not circles on the x/y plane they are circles on the z plane.

That said it's of course still neat tech.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:43 am

Oh! The portals' direction.

I don't have a problem with it :)

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:51 am

If the portals are able to be made flat to the terrain it hits and not as an orb, maybe just like 1cm think glow. Although hopefully it wont damage on impact (although the thought of slicing a dropship in half...)
I imagine it will probably be hard to get the rotations (unless you use like 8 45degrees angles where it selects the closest on impact)

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:43 am

you can change it back to the old way it works by pressing the X key, this makes it use the direction altering algorithm that was present on the line/plane version of the mod I released in scenes last build. If you prefer the old version you can set it to the default value by editing the lua file. But it won't make any sense now because the sprite is a circular object instead of a line.

Also there is a timer delay. it makes it so that the portal you are going to can't portal anything back until after a certain time, so you can send lots of things through, but then you have to wait for anything to portal back.

And you need to be going a certain velocity to go through the portals, however I lowered this so that walking enemies would go through the portals as well, the downside is that you may find that it portals too readily.

If it's laggy there's nothing I can do about that, if you want it to portal everything then you have to check everything on the scene, I could upload a version that doesn't portal either particles or items then it would do less checks and be a little less laggy I suppose. Also I could make the script/certain parts of the script only run at intervals.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:28 pm

Post Re: ASHPD (Portal Gun!)
updated the code to be more efficient, removing a lot of for loops and if statements and replacing with "self" and better structure, not sure if it will make it much less laggy but it should make it a little less laggy, but I never really noticed any lag in the first place though (should have done FPS check, oh well).

for e-peen the original version had 48 downloads.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:54 pm

Post Re: ASHPD (Portal Gun!)
Also, could you please include the portal map? The one without the enemies and wraps around.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]