View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Particle Accelerator v3.5 

Particle Accelerator v3.5
Hand-held Particle Accelerator Mk 3

The Particle Accelerator is a weapon that sucks in particles and blasts them out at high speeds. When the trigger is pressed, the accelerator creates an inverse gravitational* field in front of the user. Air particles are drawn to the epicenter of the orb, forming a plasmatic orb.

As the trigger is held, the field grows stronger and the orb increases in size. Eventually, smaller particles start to break away from the orb and orbit it. Any nearby particles are sucked up and orbit the orb as well.

Upon releasing the trigger, the field collapses and the compressed plasmatic air in the orb rapidly decompresses. The orbiting particles are then launched with deadly velocity.

*Not to be confused with anti-gravity. In a normal gravitational field, the closer the two objects are, the stronger the field becomes. The force in an inverse gravitation field grows stronger the further away the two objects are. Somewhat like a bungee cord effect. However, this type of field is only sustainable within a certain radius.

Instructions:
-Do:
    Hold the trigger to charge the accelerator.
    Allow particles around the orb to collect and accumulate.
    Release the trigger to launch the particles.
-Do not:
    Try to touch the orb. Doing so may cause you to loose more than just a few fingers.
    Try to touch other people or robots with the orb.
    Bring the orb close to drop ships and rockets. The friction between the fuel particles within the tanks of these vehicles will produce extreme heat and quickly ignite the tanks.

NOTICE
Sales reports have indicated that a modified version of the Hand-held Particle Accelerator has been circulating though the black market. The Energy Delimiter, which prevents overcharging, on these illegally-modified accelerators has been either tampered with or completely bypassed. We are not liable for any harm that these accelerators may cause to the user.

An overcharged Particle Accelerator:
-----------------------

Dev Team:
    Numgun - All sprites, effects, and sounds. Also for catching my mistakes and helping with sprite offsets.
    Kyred (me) - Original concept and Lua script.

This mod has evolved into a creation that I'm very proud of. And I could not have done it without the help of these people:

Contributors:
    Numgun - Just the same as above. He also created the cool Overcharge effect.
    mail2345 - Fixing gamepad and multiplayer compatibility issue.
    411570N3 - Fixing issue with some particles (such as dirt) not causing damage.
    LowestFormOfWit - Close range Insta-Gib idea

I'd also like to thank everyone who has giving me feedback and support while I was developing this weapon. Otherwise, I'd probably wouldn't of had the motivation to finish it :P.

Attachment:
File comment: 1611 Downloads.
Improved Lua code. Much less lag.
Orb spins and pulsates.

ParticleAcceleratorV3.5.rte.rar [154.88 KiB]
Downloaded 4787 times

Features: Version 3.2+
    New weapon sprite.
    SOUND!
    Added glows and effects.
    No more annihilating yourself =D [except when using overcharge].
    Illegally-Modified Particle Accelerator added. Works just like the normal Particle Accelerator, expect it becomes 'overcharged' after roughly 15 seconds of charging.
    The accelerator instantly dischages itself if you die or the accelerator is dropped the accelerator.
    Game no longer crashes if the gun is destroyed while charging. [This may need to be tested further]

Overcharge:
The Illegally-Modified Particle Accelerator is able to be overcharged. To use it, charge the accelerator like normal, but wait a while longer (a long while at that) before shooting. There will be a noticeable increase in blue particles and the orb will start flashing. The transition to overcharge starts at around 10 secs, finishes at 13 secs, and becomes nearly suicidal at around 15 seconds (All of this was Numgun's creation and idea). When shooting an overcharged PA, you have a high chance of killing yourself. Just like old times :P

This here is the original first release of the mod.
Attachment:
File comment: Older release.
ParticleAccelerator.rte.rar [14.87 KiB]
Downloaded 1346 times

Early Pics:
More can be find at this thread http://www.datarealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15405

Version 1.0:
Test shooting on dummies. Before Numgun revised some of the code, I used an invisible emitter a little bit in front of the orb to generate the particles. This emitter had its own Lua script, which caused a slightly larger drain on system resouces. Numgun changed this and made the orb emit the particles. I had to tweak this change a bit, because the particles didn't orbit the orb very well (ie. not fast enough).

An insta-gib example on the third dummy. Version 3.2 still does this as well. The only difference is that you have to charge the accelerator a little bit before it will work (1 sec at least). Also notice how the soldier hurts himself a little when firing? This used to be a problem with the accelerator, because particles would pass behind your guy and get launched though you. This is now fixed in version 3.2 thanks to the SetWhichMOToNotHit(); function.

Here's an example of killing yourself. Also, in Version 3.2, a dropped accelerator will no longer keep charging itself.

Pre-release pictures:

This is the test that made me want to build a cooler weapon. At this point, the particles fired outward instead of in the direction you were looking. Also, the blue particles were harmless.

Insta-gib in action =D

Last edited by Kyred on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:44 am

Post Re: Particle Accelerator v1.0
This looks fun. I will test this immediately.

Tried it. Loved it. Its fun to use.

Last edited by Phatmonkey on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:50 am

Also seems fun.

BTW, replace
Code:
UInputMan:MouseButtonHeld(0)

with
Code:
self.owner:GetController():IsState(Controller.WEAPON_FIRE)

before the people with gamepads yell at you.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:01 am

mail2345 wrote:
Also seems fun.

BTW, replace
Code:
UInputMan:MouseButtonHeld(0)

with
Code:
self.owner:GetController():IsState(Controller.WEAPON_FIRE)

before the people with gamepads yell at you.

Thanks =P. Added.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:19 am

Can you make the particles gyrate vertical to the gun instead of horizantal?

Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:50 am

This has to be one of the best mods out there. This is just simply amazing. Wonderful job.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:51 am

Wow, looks amazing!
Any chance of a release of the one that shoots outward in all directions as well?

Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:44 am

make it a bomb

Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:49 am

Looks a little more powerful than your development versions, is it or is it just the gifs?
(Haven't tested yet, just downloaded it).

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:21 am

NeoSeeker wrote:
make it a bomb

I suggested a Grenadelaunchertype in the mod-making section. Seriously. A Grenade that once lying still and activated that releases some kind of whirlwind that rips, shrips and tears Soil, Flora and Fauna apart to add it to the deadly vortex rising above the Grenade-generator...

...I would call that a god-weapon.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:29 am

A grenade launcher wouldn't be so dangerous. In my testings, I've fired... 2? out of about 15 shots that haven't killed me.

Edit: ok I've got the hang of it now. Brilliant weapon. I suggest you remove the magazine, it gets sucked up every time and is a bit heavy and boring. I want to be able to kill someone with nothing but grass.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:46 am

Exalion wrote:
A grenade launcher wouldn't be so dangerous. In my testings, I've fired... 2? out of about 15 shots that haven't killed me.

Edit: ok I've got the hang of it now. Brilliant weapon. I suggest you remove the magazine, it gets sucked up every time and is a bit heavy and boring. I want to be able to kill someone with nothing but grass.

A nade creating a whirlwind of supersped particles whirling around or creating an orb of superdense material out of the surroundings to explode violently and send zillions of splinters nearly fast-as-light in every direction being not so dangerous? Sure?

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:57 am

I love the effect. More-so I love the fact that a complete mistake lead to this mod.

I do have problems though. The gun sprite is lacking a little for a gun of this calibur. Also, the muzzle flash sprite for then the energy ball explodes could use either more detail or a couple more frames. It's a little out of place.

The function of the gun is awesome though. Could LUA be utilized to make the wielder and the gun immune to the harmful effects? It could lead to some really fun results I imagine if you can avoid walking the tightrope of super-gravitational forces ripping you apart.

Glad it's no longer in the Mod Making forum. :grin:

audiopulse wrote:
A nade creating a whirlwind of supersped particles whirling around or creating an orb of superdense material out of the surroundings to explode violently and send zillions of splinters nearly fast-as-light in every direction being not so dangerous? Sure?

I think he means not so dangerous on the user of said whirlwinds.

EDIT: Oh sh**. I'm in the credits. Thanks!

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:17 am

Ah, that couldve been the point - I see.

Well - about that hes right then. Probably less dangerous than the gun - on the other hand - theres always a way to make it more dangerous. The Nade could be made into some kind of dropable object. That way itd be even more fun I think.

Imagine playing against your friend - while he tries to get you with some kind of uber-sword youd just simply drop something big and grey that starts to lift some pixels next to that weird thing. And while youre running away, laughing crazily, your opponen would just be swallowed by the whirlwind that slowly grows into a whirlwind that eats your face.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:54 am

Great job on this, although I get a crash if I'm crushed while using it.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next