View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Realistic C4, Better Skirmishes, Quinta Explosives 

Post Realistic C4, Better Skirmishes, Quinta Explosives
These are patches designed to fix some flaws in Cortex Command, namely, that grenades aren't worth it to take, that the AI kills itself before it kills you, and that C4 is flamey and laggy.

So, without further ado,

Author: NanoBitSplit

Subject: [none]

I found a way to deactivate the limiters on the grenades that our forces carry around. It's actually pretty simple. Just add this patch I cooked up, confirm all the overrides, and it's done. For those of you wondering how it works, ehh, ask me later. Basically, the grenades will now emit five times the particles of the standard one, leading to more bang for your buck!

Power to the troopers!
NanoBitSplit out!

Cookie to whoever gets the reference.

So basically, Quinta Explosives multiplies most particles in the existing explosives by 5, the exceptions being any fire (lag) and the dummy grenades (already effective.)

Quinta Fragments is similar, but only multiplies Grenade Fragment Gray, Yellow and Air Blast particles, so there's not so much lag.

Realistic C4 is included with both Quinta patches, and makes C4 less firey and more break-down-walls-y. You can also get it on its own.

No Collide AI modifies all AHumans found in the Skirmish Activities.rte file so that they don't
collide with MOs, meaning the AI doesn't trample itself to death. Odd consequences may occur from using this patch, such as enemies passing through MO-based walls (windows, etc.) but the AI should make it to your base in larger quantities. Their compulsion to shoot all doors before they pass them prevents serious base intrusion trouble.

All patches modify vanilla content, so compatibility with other mods may vary.

Reversions to vanilla are also available.

Credits: Grif for the original idea for no collide AI, used in Robot Defense.

Attachments:
Quinta Explosives.zip [8.05 KiB]
Downloaded 331 times
Quinta Fragments.zip [8.07 KiB]
Downloaded 287 times
Realistic C4.zip [4.13 KiB]
Downloaded 402 times
Explosives Reversion.zip [8.11 KiB]
Downloaded 216 times
Real C4.rte.zip [1.7 KiB]
Downloaded 287 times
NoCollideAI.rte.zip [13.27 KiB]
Downloaded 249 times
Quinta Explosives.rte.zip [5.31 KiB]
Downloaded 250 times
Quinta Fragments.zip [8.07 KiB]
Downloaded 237 times
Quinta Fragments.rte.zip [5.34 KiB]
Downloaded 258 times

Last edited by firecrystal on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:08 am, edited 8 times in total.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:36 am

Post Re: Realistic C4, Better Skirmishes, Quinta Explosives
Hot diggety damn, I think you're referencing IJI. Good game, that. Just installed it yesterday, and finished it this noon-ish.

And BTW, please put these in its own .rte, even though they're supposed cracks...
but well, testing mode on!

power to the troopers!

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:49 am
Profile YIM WWW

As soon as I figure out how to change Base.rte definitions with other .rtes, I will do that. Most of these change existing TDExplosives, AHumans, etc.

-hands carriontrooper his cookie-

Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:15 am

Example.rte

Contains Index.ini
references
example.ini

All file paths modified to fit Example.rte rather than base.rte

it's easy if you look.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:09 am

Love Iji, great game!
I won't try these, not only because I don't own the game so skirmishes are pointless, but I'm just uneasy about modifying base.rte.

CraxMasta out.

*edit*
I was actually thinking today about doing an Iji mod, with Tasen and Komato units and weapons.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:28 am

Guys, what opinion are you about these tweaks if they were official?
Mainly the jetpack is non-harmful, and the actor not colliding with other actors, just like the crobos are.

I agree that sometimes its pretty annoying when you've build a massive base with big guns and you're prepared for bring down anything is throwed at you, but in the end the AI just screws up itself before they even come near you and thus making their whole invasion feel lame.

Also I do agree about those grenades, might actually use that shockwave effect I did for the explosion in my BW mod. Should make them more pretty/effective.

Btw IJI reference ftw. :D
I've beat it and found all the hidden posters.
The boss fights were really satisfying, especially TOR.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:50 am

EDIT: Are the reversion files the backup files?

These should definitely be tested out. Needs numerous testings to see if they improve the game. The no collision AI will definitely improve AI survivability though.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:07 pm

Sucks that the only thing that stops the AI from passing right through doors is their urge to shoot them.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:17 pm
Profile WWW

Still pretty lulzy though.

For those of you who wanted separate .rtes, I might just have to make copies of this stuff and put those in the same category.

On the subject of the tweaks being official, I think the AI needs actual improvement, not just workarounds, come next build. These I made so that those waiting around for B24 and B25 wouldn't have boring skirmishes. When those builds actually arrive, I do hope to see more powerful explosives and better AI, but in a less hacky way than I've done here.

EDIT: Made rtes for explosives, working on skirmishes.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:27 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

numgun wrote:
Guys, what opinion are you about these tweaks if they were official?
Mainly the jetpack is non-harmful, and the actor not colliding with other actors, just like the crobos are.

I agree that sometimes its pretty annoying when you've build a massive base with big guns and you're prepared for bring down anything is throwed at you, but in the end the AI just screws up itself before they even come near you and thus making their whole invasion feel lame.

Also I do agree about those grenades, might actually use that shockwave effect I did for the explosion in my BW mod. Should make them more pretty/effective.

Btw IJI reference ftw. :D
I've beat it and found all the hidden posters.
The boss fights were really satisfying, especially TOR.

How about you fix the AI rather than making unrealistic workarounds?

Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:05 pm

the jetpack and tackling are good melee weapons so unless you give actors official melee attacks keep it lethal. also i like actors not colliding with actors... can we get a lack of friendly fire or is it already included??

also you might be able to illustrate packs of multiple explosives if its possible. grenades with a magazine

Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:00 pm

I think that no friendly fire, or having the actors only pass people of the same team, would require lua, which I'm none too good with yet (unless Grif wants to help).

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:16 pm

Friendly fire would be laggy.

Sure, you can have HitsMOs disable when a CastMO ray hits somethign with the same team as the parent actor, but when the particle count get higher, all those ray casts will add up.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:36 pm

I uploaded a NoCollideAI.rte, which is actually better than the base mod ones, because it makes new versions of the actors for the skirmish, which use the safepacks, and your units can still kill people with their ordinary jetpacks.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:01 pm

Hey, two suggestions. I used these in my old mod "Deadly Cortex Command" and they worked very well.

Replace all the diggers with heavy diggers or a new very heavy digger. It takes them forever to get anything done with the AI they have. Makes a possibility of them digging into the base more viable and varies gameplay.

Also, give all the actors in skirmishes.ini a slightly more powerful jetpack. They can never fly more than two feet. They can never reach bases high in the air, or fly over walls. They always fall short. Giving them a stronger jetpack really does wonders with the AI all around. Playtest it and you'll see what I mean.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next