View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Manhack Productions *Update (8-18-09) Manhack Nest 

Post Re: Manhack Productions *Update (8-18-09) Manhack Nest
duo9ace wrote:
Ok if they are going to have HP then I demand that they move faster. A lot faster.

actually, they don't need to be any faster, because you can just build multiple hives. they can only shoot so many... Manhacks in HL2 where not a threat, unless there was more than 6 of them, Harmless until you can't keep track, and then poof your dead.

Much Like this.
Attachment:
screendump033.png
screendump033.png [ 125.18 KiB | Viewed 4676 times ]

Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Location: In between your sister's legs, showing her how to use a... PS3 controller!
Indeed, a conveyer and multiple hives can be fatal. The conveyer moves them slowly while they're shredded. Also, I have an idea for a lua throwable manhack which identifies the thrower using a distance check, and if it's red, it gibs into a red-allied manhack, and vice versa.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:08 pm

Dude which module is that? I want it!

Anyways, I just have a hard time setting up the hives since they are actors and stick in place. Any ideas?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:15 pm

duo9ace, what do you mean the hives stay in place?

EDIT: Also, there could be some problems if the Manhacks become hittable. Such as ripping eachother apart by accident.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:32 pm

By staying place I mean that when I order them on a ship and unload it, it sticks in midair.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:00 am

Umm... The Hive is a craft. The Nest is the pinned ACrab that you're suppose to deploy from the bunker building phase.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:02 am

Oh right the nest is what I meant.

Anyways I asked because I was playing missions and so I tried to use the hive which didn't work too well.

Nvm then.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:35 am

CaveCricket48 wrote:
duo9ace, what do you mean the hives stay in place?

EDIT: Also, there could be some problems if the Manhacks become hittable. Such as ripping eachother apart by accident.

1) the hives are pinned.

2) add lua to the damaging particles, to make them avoid friendly units, or specifically, not hit other manhacks.

Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:30 am
Profile YIM WWW

Making manhacks produce nests results in insanity.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:14 pm

I have an idea that might be interesting.

Make a scanner (The little hovering bastard that flashes you in HL2) and have it hover about 80px over the ground (Some fancy lua to always keep it at the same altitude) and have it scan for enemy units.
When a unit is found, have it decend about 30px and flash the actor, then after a short delay have some (5 to 10) manhacks spawned at the top of the scene (At the same X position of the scanner) and have them decend upon the enemy.
Once the enemy is dead, have them go back to the top of the scene and dissapear.

It can be a pretty cool automated defence system.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:31 pm

So its just a moving nest right?
I like the stun idea though. Maybe it can like shoot out a stun gernade and then release the man hacks.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:12 pm

MaximDude wrote:
I have an idea that might be interesting.

Make a scanner (The little hovering bastard that flashes you in HL2) and have it hover about 80px over the ground (Some fancy lua to always keep it at the same altitude) and have it scan for enemy units.
When a unit is found, have it decend about 30px and flash the actor, then after a short delay have some (5 to 10) manhacks spawned at the top of the scene (At the same X position of the scanner) and have them decend upon the enemy.
Once the enemy is dead, have them go back to the top of the scene and dissapear.

It can be a pretty cool automated defence system.

Staying at a fixed height is easy, Staying at a fixed height in relation to terrain is nigh impossible. scanning for enemy units would either require it be an actor, otherwise it will generate an ungodly amount of lag. the flash, and spawning of manhacks would be easy to do as a HDevice, as for making the manhacks spawned, only attack the pre-targeted unit, and nothing else, would also both lag, and be a pain.

The solution. the scanner is an actor of some kind with an HDevice. the HDevice causes the flash, and fires an invisible lua bullet. that lua bullet would use lua to create a manhack pod above and to the left.

The result is the manhack pod is right there, nearly on top of the target, spewing out manhacks.

ON THAT NOTE! BUG-REPORT!

Manhack pods do not always release the manhacks and scuttle first.
Manhack pods do not settle as terrain but blink out of existence.
manhack pods take entirely to long to release manhacks, upwards of 30 seconds, thats crazy.
Manhack pods sometimes fall on there side, and then try to release INTO THE GROUND.
If a manhack pod is ordered to scuttle, the manhacks themselves get assigned to team 2, IE blue, and will attack both the player and AI.

Manhack Hives need to be made of something that the manhacks can't destroy, it just makes no logical sense, that if a box of spinning blades, touches a spinning blade it gets hurt.

I suggest you do this by making the manhack weaker, so that it wont be as deadly to browncoats and dreadnoughts. this might also solve the next bug/feature as well...

IS THIS A BUG OR A FEATURE?

If you are above an enemy base, within the range for a manhack to spot an enemy, but there is terrain in the way, the manhack will fly streight at it, and DIG THROUGH THE TERRAIN UNTILL IT GETS THERE!. It will dig through megametal, it will destroy doors. I beat every mission i have except zombie cave and that crab mission, using NOTHING but the manhack gun. the manhacks wouldn't target any of the non actor objects in zombie cave, and i didn't buy a digger on the crab mission.

I usually did so by standing above where it said the enemy brain was, and just started firing blind untill I had an ant collony shaped hole going down into the brain. Is that supposed to happen? i dont remember the manhacks being able to burrow, in fact, they had a hard time getting past wooden crates.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
Staying at a fixed height is easy, Staying at a fixed height in relation to terrain is nigh impossible.\

self:GetAltitude(maxhieght,precision)

You have no idea what your talking about.

Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:56 pm

mail2345 wrote:
Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
Staying at a fixed height is easy, Staying at a fixed height in relation to terrain is nigh impossible.\

self:GetAltitude(maxhieght,precision)

You have no idea what your talking about.

Exactly what I would have said.
There also seems to be a 'FindAltitude' function, but judgeing by the wiki, there doesn't seem to be any difference between the two.

Miles, you need to explore the world of CC moding before you jump out and say 'IMPOSSIBLE'.
With enough skill, luck and hackyness, you can pull nearly anything off in CC.
It's been like that forver, and in each new build the hackyness gets better and more advanced, while old hackyness becomes something more and more common.

Also, it doesn't have to be an actor. CC doesn't make actors magically lag less, it all depends on the script.
If you have some bigass complicated proximity check, then it would obviously lag, but if you have something simple and fast like the '(blah.Pos - blah2.Pos).Magnitude < distance' proximity check, lag wouldn't be a problem.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4