View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 ISME "Bindweed" [WIP] 

Post Re: ISME "Bindweed" [WIP]
note to self - do NOT use whip with an infinte mag. Not good.

Regardless, the best first mod, and one of the best standalone mods, I've ever seen. Just perfection.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:51 am

I finally got time to play with it... This is epic in a can!
The mod should also have an infinite-round version, it's just too fun to play with.
Perhaps it overheats?

Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:42 am

i like the shield!!! doesnt kill terrain too!!!

Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:34 am

I have a suggestion. Replace G, H and S keys with something like tapping the pie menu to scroll though modes.
That way your mod will be much more multiplayer and keyboard friendly.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:30 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Have the combo be like duck X2 then pie menu.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:32 am

Update 2 download added.

Sorry, there was an error in Update 2. Fixed 2:49 pm. Please download again

It should now cause a lot less lag but may have slightly different "feel". I would like to know if this difference is noticeable and uncomfortable, I left update 1 download active if this is the case.

Infinite ammo version included. Have fun! :wink:

Working on further optimisation and self destruction/binding functions. I think it will take several days for the next update to be ready.

Areku wrote:
This mod is amazingly awesometastic. For real. If every first mod was like this, the world would be a much better place. My only complaint is the excessively high reload time, that makes it difficult to play around with this in bigger battles.

Reloading time slightly decreased in this update, lets see if this is enough.

Exalion wrote:
I have a suggestion. Replace G, H and S keys with something like tapping the pie menu to scroll though modes.

Lizard wrote:
Have the combo be like duck X2 then pie menu.

Probably everyone has their own opinion on controls so i would rather think of some easy way to customize them (anything from detailed readme to special installer will do) than changing the whole mod every time. Maybe with the next update.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:05 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

You could just add a guide in.rte like darlos9D did with the tengu punch.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:59 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Probably everyone has their own opinion on controls so i would rather think of some easy way to customize them (anything from detailed readme to special installer will do) than changing the whole mod every time. Maybe with the next update.

This is true, but setting non-specific controls is generally the favoured approach, as it works for everyone.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:55 am

This is exactly what I like in a weapon- an unstoppable wave of face-melting ownage! :twisted:

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:57 pm

Warning Massive walls of somewhat important text!!!

For some strange reason I keep thinking to myself that this would go great with some rouge badass trench coat actor guy, you know an actor like the main character from the new red faction game (the guy that looks like a fire fighter but instead of an axe he has a hammer) I dont know maybe not I'm full of ♥♥♥♥ today.

anyways ontopic:
I like almost everything except for one thing and that "thing" is the shield. For only one reason and one reason only "You cant tell if it's working or not". Because there is no effect that lets you know "Hey these bullets don't worry about em they wont getch ya" I'm just saying the shield needs some kind of impact effect cause I went through the whole zombie cave mission wonder weather or not that blue bomb was gonna frag my brave little soldier.

Bug I think:
I found a strange bug on zombie cave after a zombie nocked off the little thing that makes the weapon screw up. Except I was using a nearly invincible actor so the gun wouldn't kill me. After a while of flipping through the the air like flipping Jack Sparrow killing everything insight with my defective weapon. I lost control of my actor of a second and went flipping and flopping onto the ground (Please note I was still fireing the weapon). The gun was face down in the dirt as a held down the fire button causing massive particle build up and the destruction of a whole layer of cave floor. This is when I noticed something "I COULD CONTROL THE POWER...... AGAIN" after a few test fires at different power setting I had regained control over the fire modes once more. I not sure if this would classify as a bug or a feature cause in my theory I suspect that the weapon somehow used the dirt plus it's own energy to welded and repaired it'self to perfect condition. :geek:

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:14 am

zeno39 wrote:
I like almost everything except for one thing and that "thing" is the shield. For only one reason and one reason only "You cant tell if it's working or not". Because there is no effect that lets you know "Hey these bullets don't worry about em they wont getch ya" I'm just saying the shield needs some kind of impact effect cause I went through the whole zombie cave mission wonder weather or not that blue bomb was gonna frag my brave little soldier.

The shield is protecting you only when it exists but protection is not perfect, ie if you see a plasma ring around you - you are somewhat protected but not nearly enough to stop a bullet of a Heavy Sniper or shrapnel of most grenades. You see, this shield gradually slows down and melts away incoming particles, it dose not stop or just destroy them. I assume you tested the infinite ammo version (which only only for fun and not ballanced at all) and with it, when you can hold the shield for as long as you like, this mechanic may actually be less obvious. I'll try adding impact effect and see how would it affect the performance.

zeno39 wrote:
Bug I think:
I found a strange bug on zombie cave after a zombie nocked off the little thing that makes the weapon screw up. Except I was using a nearly invincible actor so the gun wouldn't kill me. After a while of flipping through the the air like flipping Jack Sparrow killing everything insight with my defective weapon. I lost control of my actor of a second and went flipping and flopping onto the ground (Please note I was still fireing the weapon). The gun was face down in the dirt as a held down the fire button causing massive particle build up and the destruction of a whole layer of cave floor. This is when I noticed something "I COULD CONTROL THE POWER...... AGAIN" after a few test fires at different power setting I had regained control over the fire modes once more. I not sure if this would classify as a bug or a feature cause in my theory I suspect that the weapon somehow used the dirt plus it's own energy to welded and repaired it'self to perfect condition. :geek:

Definitely a bug. Thanks for reporting it.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:00 am

This weapon is Excellent! Although, Whip mode is kinda hard to control, Half the time I kill myself with it.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:08 am

Quote:

Agreed. Keyboard controls means you can really only use it in single player. I mean, how else are you supposed to have epic lightsaber-whip battles? 0o

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:08 am

Update 3 download added.

Indeed the best is oftentimes the enemy of the good. While trying to fix some problems I found myself thinking of rewriting most of the code from scratch. This would definitely help fix these problems and increase performance BUT to do this I need time so I took some features compatible with previous update and added them to #3.

Important changes:

1. All controls and some default settings are now in separate, properly commented (at least i think it is) ,easy to understand and edit script /Scripts/BindweedSettings.lua. It effects both normal and infinite ammo versions.

Default controls are now as follows:
Increase/Decrease Power - Scroll Up/Down
Set modes, as before: F,G,H
Reload: R
Set next mode: pie menu + right
Set previous mode: pie menu + left
Force decompression: down

2. Added auto-reload function. You can just hold "fire" and never again get stuck with 0 ammo. Usually this is not a problem but if you are in the shield mode you probably do not want to release "fire". This feature may cause some confusion when reloading from pie menu so you can disable it from BindweedSettings if you like. (By the way, dose anyone know how to intercept pie menu commands? GetController():IsState(Controller.WEAPON_RELOAD) dose not seem to help)

3. Fixed possibility of "self repairing".

4. Finally I fixed weapon position in hand.

5. Minor changes to weapon behaviour and performance.

The next update will be last before final release and i think it will be ready in a week or two.

Siric wrote:
This weapon is Excellent! Although, Whip mode is kinda hard to control, Half the time I kill myself with it.

Thanks :) . Thats the point - power for skill. But if you don't like it or just want to practice you can now easely disable damage to yourself in BindweedSettings.lua.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:40 am

Sunrise wrote:
Thanks :) . Thats the point - power for skill. But if you don't like it or just want to practice you can now easely disable damage to yourself in BindweedSettings.lua.

Thats a pretty cool option, Although I actually find killing myself in the heat of battle quite hilarious so I'm probably not changing it. :D

Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next