View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 65  Next
 DarkStorm Military Technologies -- Updated 12/20/09 

Post Re: DarkStorm Military Technologies -- Updated 11/29/09
Metal Meltdown wrote:
Darlos9D wrote:
Next update will have both pre-equipped and unequipped versions

Will they still have awesome colored edges on their armors?
Uh, yeah, they already do.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:53 pm
Profile YIM

I enjoy the new update but I do have one issue with it. The new standard melee button is M, with previous versions being X. I found that it requires me to take my hand off the mouse just so I can use it, thus heavily limiting it's effectiveness. While I know you can change the key for the secondary fire and the melee, which I've done, I'd simply suggest having the default be closer to the standard WASD keys that most people use to make melee easier to use

Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:52 pm

Another thing, the Yatagarasu's engine speed needs tuning down, it travels up all the time, it stays level with several trooops in but you never drop that many off.
I know I've mentioned the concrete sprayer before, but how about using secondary to switch between concrete, some form of metal for reinforceing and a post? Some kind of temporary wall to build concrete onto, maby a way of staying in place whilst creating a concrete base?

Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:53 pm

Just finished testing this. It's review time, then!

- The tengu is great. absolutely awesome. I have to give you an A++ on this one.

- The Yuurei... Yes, it is very effective and cool to use, but there are some serious issues with it. First, the before-mentioned endless stealth thing. Second, the unit gets completely invincible while in stealth mode. I know this is a side effect of reducing the scale variable, but wouldn't there be a way to circumvent it? Third, I found jumping extremely awkward. The wall kick and climbpaths do help a lot, but it is still very difficult to jump forward or make the crouch-jump dashes.

- The Oni is very cool, specially with the charged punches that send people flying and the grabbing feature. It is so much fun throwing clones at each other's head. :twisted: But again, it is not perfect. A general strength boost would be nice, as it tends to explode from impact way too easily. Being able to shoot while holding someone would also make meat shields so much more effective. I also thought that it would be nice to have a wider selection of heavy weapons for them, since the normal version can only use the light assault rifles and laserguns.

- The ships, as a whole, were really good. I have to congratulate you specially for the yatagarasu, it was really darned great, though it is kind of hard to reduce height when carrying a lighter cargo. Might I suggest you to increase it's weight slightly?

- The ballistic weapons were good, but seemed a bit weak when compared to the lasers you could buy for a similar price. Perhaps they should be granted some kind of advantage over energy weapons, such as higher armor penetration? Just sayin'.

- The laser guns are perfect. Beautifully done, and the laser aim was a great finishing touch. They are something all of us modders should inspire our future energy gun projects on and bask upon their greatness.

- The coilgun was great, but maybe it lacked impact damage. Once again, just sayin'.

- The cryogun was very good, but I found the flamer a bit unbalanced, as it does the same amount of damage on everything, be it a skellie or a MPAM.

- The flying drone. Oh, I had such a great time with this one. Did you know that firing a cryogun at one of these for long enough transforms it into a super-heavy flying controlled projectile? Man, it is fun.

- The turrets. Hmm. I hate to admit this, but I preferred the old versions. Not only are these really overpowered, having to wait for them to deploy and then having to bring the weapons all the way to them is just not worth the effort. Maybe you should make the turrets come pre-equipped with some lighter weapon, that would be discarded upon heavier armaments being mounted.

- The grenades had a great effect, but their proximity trigger was way too sensitive, making them explode long before the target had got close enough to suffer more serious damage.

...And that's all. A lot of criticism, I know, but that's only because I like this faction enough to want to see it getting better and better with each release. You did a great job, and it'll be a permanent addition to my mod lybrary, but I do hope that you release some bugfixes soon.

Also, I've just read that all your clones are females. Tee hee hee...
(I intended to put some kind of red-cheeked, rolling-eyed and arrogant-smiled simlie here, but I could find none. If anyone could help with that, I would appreciate it. Until then, I guess I'll have to stay with the pipe-smoking "That's what we call puberty, children" smilie: :pipe: )

Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:39 pm
Profile WWW

Question: Is the Gatling cannon and laser cannon all we get to choose from on the turret, or will we get a missile launcher at some point. Also, when I put a gatling and laser gun on one, only one weapon actually fired as far as I could tell.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:31 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: Yes. I feel bad because I have all of this criticism... but the sheer awesomeness of this cancels that out.
RIP: Nano Key, Turrets, Carbine sprite, Stun Pistol, Shock Mortar, Battle Rifle, . . .

On the subject of secondary fire, it would be great if you put the marksman's rifle back in, and you could have the three-shot burst as the alt-fire.
I miss the nano key, and the stealth aspect of it. There is a good feeling about breaking down a steel door with your bare hands, but IMO it was much more fun to press a few buttons on a little cell phone and then be able to slip inside a base without having to "stealthily" spray the door with bullets.
I agree, the old turrets seemed better.
The old Tengu had the same jetpack thing, but the newer version has the "wings" always out, rather than having them come out only when the jetpack is used. I liked the "wings" better when they flared out when you used the jetpack.
Other than that, FUDGE AWESOME. Keep up the amazing work.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:40 pm
Profile YIM

Areku wrote:
- The Yuurei... Yes, it is very effective and cool to use, but there are some serious issues with it. First, the before-mentioned endless stealth thing. Second, the unit gets completely invincible while in stealth mode. I know this is a side effect of reducing the scale variable, but wouldn't there be a way to circumvent it? Third, I found jumping extremely awkward. The wall kick and climbpaths do help a lot, but it is still very difficult to jump forward or make the crouch-jump dashes.
Hey, let's stop pointing out the same two bugs every other post, alright guys? I'm not retarded, and I read every single thing in this thread. I KNOW THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH THE CLOAKING. I already have it fixed and it will be in the next release, which hopefully will be before this weekend. As for the stealth mode invincibility, the only possible solution is to make it so it deactivates briefly whenever it detects an incoming projectile. Problem is, this would require the same code as the old point defense system. Even in my new re-written code (the PDS will be in the next release) it's still incredibly laggy. I don't want people to have to worry about crippling the game play every time they cloak. So for now it stays invincible.

Also, I'm not entirely certain I follow your complaints with the jumping.

Areku wrote:
- The Oni is very cool, specially with the charged punches that send people flying and the grabbing feature. It is so much fun throwing clones at each other's head. :twisted: But again, it is not perfect. A general strength boost would be nice, as it tends to explode from impact way too easily. Being able to shoot while holding someone would also make meat shields so much more effective. I also thought that it would be nice to have a wider selection of heavy weapons for them, since the normal version can only use the light assault rifles and laserguns.
Again, I know the Oni are weak, I'll address it, so stop telling me. As for the meatshield thing, I didn't really want to make it so they can hold a person AND fire a gatling gun or something. Maybe I'll set it up so they can hold a person and fire if they're not using a heavy weapon. This would make the idea of equipping them with a lighter weapon more attractive.

I wish I could do stuff like let them dual-wield all non-heavy weapons, since it'd be awesome and hilarious, but I can't imagine how I'd get that to work. I mean, I'd want them to be able to do it with weapons outside of the DarkStorm arsenal.

Areku wrote:
- The ballistic weapons were good, but seemed a bit weak when compared to the lasers you could buy for a similar price. Perhaps they should be granted some kind of advantage over energy weapons, such as higher armor penetration? Just sayin'.
Well, first of all they DO have higher armor penetration. The assault laser is pretty weak. And secondly the lasers have lower ammo, fire slower, and are thwarted by even the most minor obstruction. I feel that they balance out.

Areku wrote:
- The coilgun was great, but maybe it lacked impact damage. Once again, just sayin'.
I guess you're asking for more than one wound per hit, but I felt that might be too overpowering, plus it would easily double its penetration through terrain, which is already ridiculous. I figured the ridiculous impact force would make it powerful enough in most circumstances. Try to shoot a rocket at its very top or bottom, the results are typically entertaining.

Areku wrote:
- The cryogun was very good, but I found the flamer a bit unbalanced, as it does the same amount of damage on everything, be it a skellie or a MPAM.
Hm... it shouldn't. It does the same amount of damage per tick, but ticks more slowly on larger actors. Maybe I need to rebalance it.

Areku wrote:
- The flying drone. Oh, I had such a great time with this one. Did you know that firing a cryogun at one of these for long enough transforms it into a super-heavy flying controlled projectile? Man, it is fun.
Maybe it should get a maximum weight limit.

Areku wrote:
- The turrets. Hmm. I hate to admit this, but I preferred the old versions. Not only are these really overpowered, having to wait for them to deploy and then having to bring the weapons all the way to them is just not worth the effort.
... does not compute. They're overpowered but not worth it?

I will say this though: if I'm gonna make versions of the Oni that come pre-loaded with weapons, I guess I could do it with the Shishi as well, when you order a Higo.

Ingoguy15 wrote:
Question: Is the Gatling cannon and laser cannon all we get to choose from on the turret, or will we get a missile launcher at some point. Also, when I put a gatling and laser gun on one, only one weapon actually fired as far as I could tell.
Were you firing it manually? You need to use secondary fire for the background weapon. Also, I'll add some new weapon to it.

Pyrokinesis1019 wrote:
The old Tengu had the same jetpack thing, but the newer version has the "wings" always out, rather than having them come out only when the jetpack is used. I liked the "wings" better when they flared out when you used the jetpack.
Well, the old "Shinobi Tengu" was intended to be the stealth unit, and I felt it was retarded to have a stealth guy with stuff sticking out of his back, so I did that retractable jetpack thing. Now the Tengu is a general purpose combat unit, not a stealth unit, so always having something there isn't so bad. Plus it completes the "birdman" ensemble with a visible pair of wings and a tail of sorts.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:06 am
Profile YIM

Overall its pretty good. The spin up on the rotary weapons seems little slow but its liveable.

I also liked that you changed the explosions for the RPG type weapon to a cone effect instead of the circular pattern. I remember mentioning it once under a different user name before I vanished for life stuff.

The Homing function doesn't always work properly. At longer ranges it will pass lower or higher then the aim point and not at the actor you have painted with the laser site, but you can easily adjust and peg enemies with it so its not that big a deal.

The lasers all rock i have great fun sniping heads off of clones and bots. The coil gun has some overkill penetration like as in it punches clean through a drop ships middle. Ive even shot it through end to end. Other then that I like it.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:24 am

Darlos9D wrote:
I KNOW THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH THE CLOAKING STOP TELLING ME RAARGH

...I kind of knew pointing that out again was gonna generate this kind of answer. :P I just wanted to express the fact that I agreed with the previous posts, that's all.

Darlos9D wrote:
make it so it deactivates briefly whenever it detects an incoming projectile

Or you could just, y'know, give it two frames for the body, keeping the second one null. As far as I remember, the game calculates hitboxes based on the first frame, so you could just change to the secoond frame and let CC's engine do the work for you. If that doesn't work, just add one or two black pixels around the where the torso's edge will be, and let bullets collide with that.

Darlos9D wrote:
Also, I'm not entirely certain I follow your complaints with the jumping.

Well, the thing is, since you've used Lua for the jumping, the actor always goes directly upwards, while normal CC jumpers go slightly towards the direction they are looking at. This makes it much harder to reach places ahead of the actor, and totally keeps it from dashing.

Darlos9D wrote:
Maybe I'll set it up so they can hold a person and fire if they're not using a heavy weapon. This would make the idea of equipping them with a lighter weapon more attractive.

Quite that. You could just do a simple attachable hack to check if the weapon they are using has OneHanded = 1.

Darlos9D wrote:
Well, first of all they DO have higher armor penetration. The assault laser is pretty weak. And secondly the lasers have lower ammo, fire slower, and are thwarted by even the most minor obstruction. I feel that they balance out.

Wel, that makes sense. Awrite, people, move on, there's nothing to see here.

Darlos9D wrote:
I guess you're asking for more than one wound per hit

Nope. I was just pointing out that, if you hit an actor with a low GIL with the coilgun, it will suffer much less damage than it should, 'cause the bullet will just go straight through it. Maybe you should make it fire two rounds, but one of them with zero sharpness. Once again (again), just sayin'.

Darlos9D wrote:
does not compute. They're overpowered but not worth it?

Hmm, yeah, I think I didn't express myself clearly there. What I meant is that, once the turrets are functional they get all "BOOM YA SUCKAH FEEL MY POWAH IM GONNA FIRE OVER 9000 ROUNDS PER SECOND AND ITS GONNA BE THE ****", what is clearly overpowered, but to do so you need to first deploy the turret, then wait for it to build itself, then order a dude with the turret gun, then carry it all the way to the turret, and the whole process is too expensive/unreliable, as there is a good chance that the dude, the turret, or both, are going to get killed while you are not looking, and you'll have to order them all over again.

Also, I've decided that a :3 face works just as well as the whole rolly-eyed thing. So,

Female clones. Tee hee hee. :3

Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:07 am
Profile WWW

I just made an amazing discovery: MOPixels always overlay an MO that there on top of with there color. That means when the MOPixel's color is the null color (255,0,255), that spot turns into the background color!

Edit: In other words, you can cloak an actor completely with null-colored MOPixels. A bit laggy though, but they remain hittable.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:05 am

First off: there's a problem with making it so you can fire while holding onto something. The problem is that, great, you can fire, but the bullets all hit the thing you're holding :/

Not sure how to get around this. It's kinda awesomely brutal though as you pump bullets into your enemy's stomach.

CaveCricket48 wrote:
I just made an amazing discovery: MOPixels always overlay an MO that there on top of with there color. That means when the MOPixel's color is the null color (255,0,255), that spot turns into the background color!

Edit: In other words, you can cloak an actor completely with null-colored MOPixels. A bit laggy though, but they remain hittable.
I... thought we knew this already.

Areku wrote:
...I kind of knew pointing that out again was gonna generate this kind of answer. :P I just wanted to express the fact that I agreed with the previous posts, that's all.
It's not an opinion, it's a fact. It doesn't need agreement.

Areku wrote:
Or you could just, y'know, give it two frames for the body, keeping the second one null.
While I didn't think of this, the problem here is that it doesn't really do anything for limbs. Limbs have multiple frames that get cycled through as the actor takes various actions. I can't tell it to use different frames, since it always uses all of them. I could make one null and force it to always use that one when cloaked (maybe), but unfortunately that null frame would show up normally as well, and would look kinda weird.

Areku wrote:
Well, the thing is, since you've used Lua for the jumping, the actor always goes directly upwards, while normal CC jumpers go slightly towards the direction they are looking at. This makes it much harder to reach places ahead of the actor, and totally keeps it from dashing.
Uh... you can hold left and right as you press the jump button to jump in those directions. You can also quickly tap the jump button to get a shorter jump.

Areku wrote:
Nope. I was just pointing out that, if you hit an actor with a low GIL with the coilgun, it will suffer much less damage than it should, 'cause the bullet will just go straight through it. Maybe you should make it fire two rounds, but one of them with zero sharpness. Once again (again), just sayin'.
If I did that, I could just increase the force of the bullet itself. I'll try to give it more force, but not "knock thrusters off of dropships" force, since I feel like that's overpowered. I don't want that rifle to be a one-shot-one-kill weapon on everything. That's more the missile launcher's job.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:28 am
Profile YIM

Darlos9D wrote:
First off: there's a problem with making it so you can fire while holding onto something. The problem is that, great, you can fire, but the bullets all hit the thing you're holding :/

Not sure how to get around this. It's kinda awesomely brutal though as you pump bullets into your enemy's stomach.
Try making the held actor be held a bit closer? Use a longer gun? As long as the muzzle is beyond the enemy you're fine.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:36 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

Darlos9D wrote:
That's more the missile launcher's job.

Speaking of the missile launcher, why did you change it from shaped charges? It was much better that way, it differentiated it from the thousand other blegh missile lawnchairs.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:41 am
Profile WWW

ooh, stealth would be cooler if the actor had like, outlines in a barely visible blue, and the one eye glowing like splinter cell, and a seethrough body. Make it hard to see, aside from the eye, and this will also help with jumping and stuff, which is hard when cloaked.

Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:48 am

Further playing:

Electro shock does not work for me.
The stealth suit's jump is WEIRD. If you could explain it to me? I wall jumped somehow the other day, but couldn't do it again.
And just hitting jump will often not work. I am sure the system works, but how do you operate it?

specialised Oni should be pre-equipped, POSSIBLY more durable too.

Weapons are all awesome, although flamethrower kills anti-climatically quickly and 'lags like a ♥♥♥♥♥'

I stand by my comment earlier that the revolver laser is in the top 10 best weapons for cortex command ever list. (Laser sight is neat, and I like how little damage it does per wound. Is their Lua involved there, or just REALLY good use of Mopixels?)

Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 65  Next