View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 65  Next
 DarkStorm Military Technologies -- Updated 12/20/09 
Loose Canon

Post Re: DarkStorm Military Technologies -- Updated 11/29/09
Why must I be at school. Darlos, until I've seen that this new version is significantly better, I'm keeping my old version of Darkstorms around too.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:20 pm
Profile WWW

Why? With a few filepath changes you can use both!

Oh and to get camo working you need:

for i = 0, MovableMan:GetMOIDCount() do
if MovableMan:GetRootMOID(i) == self.ID and MovableMan:GetMOFromID(i).Scale ~= nil then
local object = MovableMan:GetMOFromID(i);
if not(object:IsDevice()) or (object:IsDevice() and (object.PresetName == "D35-S Assault Rifle" or object.PresetName == "D37-S Pistol")) then
object.Scale = 1;
end
end
end

In the part of the script after it turns off camo but before the last 3 lines.
Sadly the person I play CC with is firmly stuck to the old DarkStorm and won't use the new version, forcing be to turn one into DarkStorm 2 and change filepaths.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:38 pm

Samohan, look at the bottom of the first post to see some of my future plans.

Yes, the PDS will probably be making a comeback, and hopefully I can get it to lag less. Also I'll probably have its power meter drop by a preset amount for every projectile it stops, rather than being based on how much kinetic energy the projectile has.

The Oni has many of the same statistics as the heavy browncoat. I'm not sure why its weak. Try that out on a browncoat and tell me what happens.

Not sure about the malfunctioning melee. A problem might be that you're accidentally double-tapping left or right though. That'll cancel the punch and the oni will try to grapple. Though maybe I should set it up so if there's nothing to grapple, it just punches.

The door tool was a tad overpowered in that it could be used indefinitely. I might come out with a more general "hacking" grenade that can switch the team of any actor, though perhaps it takes time to work based on actor mass, and maybe there's some way to counter it if the other player acts fast enough (maybe simply by switching control to the actor before it finishes).

I don't really have a reason to make a concrete sprayer or anything at the moment, since I'm not really sure how to improve/change it significantly. Just use a cryo gun, or an actual concrete gun. As I explained at the top of my first post, DarkStorm products are supplimentary. DarkStorm units don't have to use DarkStorm weapons and tools, and DarkStorm weapons and tools don't have to be used by DarkStorm units (unless specifically made that way, like the heavy weapons).

Regarding unit names and pronunciations:

"Kotei", the brain unit, just means "Emperor." It's pronounced "KO-tay"
"Bushi", the base clone, means "Warrior." It's pronounced "BOO-she"
"Tengu" has been explained. I don't know if its specifically a crow-person though. I just know it refers to supernatural bird men. Pronounced "TEN-goo"
"Yuurei", the stealth armor, means "Ghost". Pronounced "YOU-ray"
"Oni" means "Demon" or "Ogre." Pronounced "OH-knee"
"Akateko" means, literally, "red hand child." It's a minor ghost that shows up as a red child's hand hanging from a tree. Pronounced "ah-kah-TEH-ko"
"Yosei" is basically a japanese fairy. Pronounced "YO-say"
"Shishi" is those big fierce lion statues you'll see sitting near the entrance of shinto shrines. Pronounced "SHE-she"
"Raiju" is the pet bird of the thunder god Raiden, which falls to the earth via lightning bolts. Pronounced "RAI-jew" (lol)
"Yatagarasu" is the three-legged crow pet of Ametarasu, the sun goddess (I think). Pronounced "yah-tah-gah-RAH-sue"
"Higo" refers to an old legend of a tree with a female spirit that falls in love with a man, but then the tree is cut down by the government in order to make a bridge, effectively killing her. Pronounced "HE-go"

DarkStorm itself actually has a japanese name, with "dark storm" as its literal translation. I can't remember it right now, but the kanji for "dark" can also be translated as "secret" or "hidden," which I thought was appropriate.

Also, regarding the Yuurei's design: I wanted to go for more "creepy" than "cool" with it. So it has a face plate that is blank except for a single ominous eye, and it has no feet and instead hovers above the ground slightly by its ankle stumps. Yes, Bushi feet (and probably hands) are removable and interchangeable.

Bushi may basically be females, but they have a lot of their estrogen replaced with testosterone, are probably sterile, and have interchangeable body parts. They aren't made to be pretty or cute.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:02 pm
Profile YIM

Thanks for all of that, will the camo fix be put in soon then? And the camo weapon changing, will that still work the way it was meant to with weapons "hovering" or just not firing?
It would be briliant to infiltrate bases cloaked, it just dosen't last long enough, though you've probably got a variable for that.

EDIT:
Bomb test: All failed, not even the heavy browncoat survived picking up a lit grenade, it's a shame the're not a tad more explosion-resistant.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:27 pm

Location: In between your sister's legs, showing her how to use a... PS3 controller!
Holy ♥♥♥♥, holy ♥♥♥♥, holy ♥♥♥♥...
*Jizzes*
Trying out, will give crit tomorrow. As for now, I'll just jizz for a bit.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:35 pm

damn, got in there before me on the translation of the Bushi, as the art of Bushido literaly translates to "Way of the Warrior". Just an interesting nugget I thought I'd share.

On topic, I am really likeing the new and improved DarkStorm. How about a short ranged door hacker for the Yuurei so it can more effectivly infiltrate bases? (apologies if theres already one in there, havent had a chance to try all the weapons and tools out)

Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:39 pm

fylth wrote:
damn, got in there before me on the translation of the Bushi, as the art of Bushido literaly translates to "Way of the Warrior". Just an interesting nugget I thought I'd share.

On topic, I am really likeing the new and improved DarkStorm. How about a short ranged door hacker for the Yuurei so it can more effectivly infiltrate bases? (apologies if theres already one in there, havent had a chance to try all the weapons and tools out)

Like I said, I'm thinking of making nano grenades that hack stuff, more than just doors. But doors would be the easiest thing to hack since the opponent couldn't really switch to it and stop you or anything.

Also, Bushi goes together well with the armor names. You end up with "Birdman Warrior," "Demon Warrior," and "Ghost Warrior."

You know, if there were water in CC I'd make some kind of Kappa (mischevious frog/turtle-like water spirits) Armor... but there isn't.

Last edited by Darlos9D on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:32 pm
Profile YIM
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

The irony is, in the last edition of these, there was a door hack tool.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:33 pm

Wow, you sprited it! Haven't had a chance to play, but it looks great, man. Now that it's released is it cool if i put up the concept art? i've sort of been holding onto it for a while.

I'm so stoked to utterly pulverize that dropship.

Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

Darlos9D wrote:
You know, if there were water in CC I'd make some kind of Kappa (mischevious frog/turtle-like water spirits) Armor... but there isn't.

Rectangle water?
Best water simulation we have currently :???:

Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:58 pm

Allen wrote:
Wow, you sprited it! Haven't had a chance to play, but it looks great, man. Now that it's released is it cool if i put up the concept art? i've sort of been holding onto it for a while.

Go for it. And I hope its close to what you imagined.

Now, time to fix some problems.

Duh102 wrote:
Darlos9D wrote:

Rectangle water?
Best water simulation we have currently :???:

Until it becomes vanilla or widely used in mods, I'm not gonna commit any time to it.

... but dear god after spriting the Yatagarasu just about anything else feels like it would just take a minute.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:14 am
Profile YIM

I love the Enterprise... I mean the Yatagarasu dropship :D

Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:13 am
Profile WWW

One note: silenced assault rifle can shoot through doors if you stand close enough. Change the offset thingy at which the bullets are emitted?

Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:27 am
Profile WWW

I think I just cried. *Tissue*. Can't really offer criticism. DarkStorm does handle like some freaky-future-fangled-epicness, as everyone says. Insta DLed.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:46 am

Oh please dont make no weapon available in cloak, they already DO notice the floating weapons, and destroy them on sight. In seconds I'm usually left weaponless. One thing you could do is allow weapons to fire, but cause the unit to go out of cloak for the duration, of weapon fire. About the door hacks, you could make them take awhile to set up, and return to original control after awhile. This would give the Dark storm a clear trail from human players, and balance the idea of the Nanokey.

The turret sprite I dont particularly like, . I would wonder if you would consider adding a new shotgun, I dont know why but it feels Dark storm requires some sort of shotgun. Possibly cloakable aswell, since the shotgun is for close quarters, and do I really need to explain the rest?

Anyways, I love everything else, and I expect the best from future versions.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 65  Next