View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Phoenix VTOL fighter + AA armor 

Phoenix VTOL fighter + AA armor
We present Coalitions new units to counter the lately dummy assaults that uses heavy armor like the dummy APC, dummy gunship, and the feared behemoth.

The first unit is the Phoenix (the VTOL in the middle).

This flying beast can fly faster than any other unit and can go in hover mode for precision movement (and landing).

It's designed to drop powerful payload like the firebombs. Scientist's found out that the dummy plastic is highly flammable. So we have designed these bombs to deliver a deadly rain of napalm that can burn the poor dummies alive (and ronins if necessary). The Phoenix can carry 10 of these at the time. These bombs have also proved very effective against a stationary APC (One bomb would likely blow it in half, but it needs to be completely stationary for some seconds before this tactic works).

We have also made it possible to switch the firebombs to HE missiles (and opposite). The HE missiles are very affective against all thick armored targets you can find. It can shred the test bunker (the enemy bunker in the tutorial) in with a few missiles. These missiles have also proved powerful against APCs, Behemoths and unaware gunships/dropships (the missile will normally destroy these in one shot if it is a direct hit). It costs 750 oz.

The Phoenix is also armed with a powerful MG that is very useful for a longterm air control (a small air strike here and there). Try flying fast and shooting it as a air strike for maximum efficiency.

Also to refill ammo you need to land by the landing pad (can also use abdul's landing pads from gunship.rte)

We have also designed anti-air in case we meet a dummy gunship or the pesky ronins steal one of our phoenixes. We call it the manticore (the 3 wheeled vehicle). The manticore has a dual-twin-flak cannon that can shread any greater target on the sky (note the flaks don't have friendly fire and are lua'ed to explode in front of the dropship). Also when damaged you can drive it out of combat and it will heal over time. It costs 420 oz.

We've also made a stationary anti-air. It's called the thunderfire. It has a dual minigun with 250 rounds in each that shoots 3400 high caliper rounds per minute. This one can shred everything above it and actually also usefull against large numbers of infantry. It costs 500 oz.

We suggest that you have both a manticore and a thunderfire in your defence since the manticore's flaks will also push the dropships and rockets away making it nearly impossible for the dropships to gib over your base.

If you are in a money need you can buy our handheld flak cannon Version 2.0. It uses same technology as the manticores flaks for only 130 oz.

This mod also include a skirmish map named sea (even through it has no water (I have made some awesome lag light water, but it will lag heavy with these amount of combat going on)). It includes a randomly flying hangar ship with 4 thunderfires, a phoenix and a hangar were the phoenix is safe from dropship gibs. Open it in skirmish.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?cppvph584uicgkc

This is my third mod for CC and I hope you will enjoy the mod. :)

Update:

Fixed the missing weapons folder

Fixed for Build 24

Credits:
Abdul Alhazred: because the mod is based upon his gunship mod and his EDV. (I got permission)
Darlos9D: because I borrowed his flame script.

Last edited by akblabla on Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:48 pm
Loose Canon

Post Re: Phoenix
You asked Abdul to use the gunship, right?
Aside from that, this looks pretty good. Vehicles are always welcome in CC.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:52 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
You asked Abdul to use the gunship, right?

I have just asked some hours ago.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:53 pm

We appear to be missing a weapons folder?
If you could re-upload with that included, it'd be great.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:04 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
We appear to be missing a weapons folder?
If you could re-upload with that included, it'd be great.

Ups i think i canceled the zipping before it was done and it uploaded the half zipped version. I'll update it in a couple of minutes.

Edit: Updated

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:38 pm

These are awesome man, had a blast playing with these. I take it the Sea map is an aircraft carrier surrounded by water? You should totally include a version with water and make a buyable water bunkermodule so players can place water where they want.

If its too laggy, maybe you should try making it only affect actors and items, but no gibs/particles. Swimming is really fun in the water you made for the exodus campaign missions.

I really like vehicles in this mod, the vtol fighter works very well, much better than the original when flying.
The flak tank is just badass, the cannons work well and driving over troops is fun as hell!
The turret is also excellent, not overpowered and works great for both the player and the AI.
Good sprites too, keep it up!

I might suggest making the thread title a bit more describing like "Phoenix VTOL fighter + AA armor", since just "phoenix" doesnt tell much to the forum user what to expect.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Post Re: Phoenix VTOL fighter + AA armor
I have to agree with you on this one, nummy. Both the vehicles look great and work great. A+.

THe turret, on the other hand, felt quite unpolished for me, and usually crashes the game when destroyed.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:01 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
These are awesome man, had a blast playing with these. I take it the Sea map is an aircraft carrier surrounded by water? You should totally include a version with water and make a buyable water bunkermodule so players can place water where they want.

If its too laggy, maybe you should try making it only affect actors and items, but no gibs/particles. Swimming is really fun in the water you made for the exodus campaign missions.

I really like vehicles in this mod, the vtol fighter works very well, much better than the original when flying.
The flak tank is just badass, the cannons work well and driving over troops is fun as hell!
The turret is also excellent, not overpowered and works great for both the player and the AI.
Good sprites too, keep it up!

I might suggest making the thread title a bit more describing like "Phoenix VTOL fighter + AA armor", since just "phoenix" doesnt tell much to the forum user what to expect.

Thanks man. I really appreciate comments like these. And the title is changed. Might be the reason why there isn't that many downloaders. I was thinking of making the water but it takes its time when it is a mirrored map (precision spriting D:). Might make it anyway.

My only problem now is that i'm out of ideas for a new mod. I'm thinking zombies (missions), but I also want to link it together with the exodus campaign. Have you guys even met the last wave in the exodus boss. The robots are like zombies combined with terminators. It's pretty awesome.

Quote:
I have to agree with you on this one, nummy. Both the vehicles look great and work great. A+.

THe turret, on the other hand, felt quite unpolished for me, and usually crashes the game when destroyed.

Don't know why it should crash the game when destroyed. The only thing it does (in lua) is gibing when health reaches 0.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:09 pm

Is it just me or is the chin-mounted MG fixed forward? Or does it use different controls to Abdul's gunship?

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:00 pm

Quote:
Is it just me or is the chin-mounted MG fixed forward? Or does it use different controls to Abdul's gunship?

It is fixed forward. It is a Jet fighter with hover capabilities and not a gunship after all. But try flying forward using speed (Up) and shoot it in burst (3 or 4 sec's between them) and you will find out how powerful it is.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:15 pm

I went to see how you did the water and only now I realised how it works; you used one big sprite for all water and then build the bunkers around them, clever. Would it be possible to make small modules that you can use like as if you're building a bunker piece by piece?

Make these modules come with an invisible pinned MOSRotating that has the script attached to it that would run the water system:

This piece is 96x96 px square of water fill. You could place lots of these next to each other to create a big sea.
While inside actors would behave like underwater. And with this kind of system you could make any size of water area easily.

This part is optional and can be placed at the surface of water that would do the splashing script.

akblabla wrote:
Have you guys even met the last wave in the exodus boss. The robots are like zombies combined with terminators. It's pretty awesome.

Those guy were so hard to kill, most of the time I could not stop them from reaching the console for the generators as they just came at me like tanks and kept resetting the whole thing over and over again. : /
Personally I hated those bastards for how tough they are, but they are cool, I agree.

I would defenetly want to see more missions from you, the Exodus campaign is the best mission experience CC ever had so far. I was amazed the whole time I played it. It could be cool if there were some puzzles in the missions or something interesting the player can interact with besides pure combat. Like in half life where you could use the physics to your advantage to get over an obstacle or something like that.

Btw the boss fight in exodus really reminded me of portal and glados, especially the entrance, I really liked that detail.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:41 pm

Above:

It could work nicely even though I haven't any problems with the water modules. Thanks anyway.

And for the boss. I was very inspired by the presentation of glados (that big huge room inside a even bigger room) and the brain it self.

For puzzles it would be very hard since you can always "dig" your way though the map. Cortex command has in general to much freedom for puzzles (at least it is very hard). I could always make some deployable blocks that you can use to climb high platforms but it would still be very hard to make something interesting.You could add a timer to prevent "digging" though the puzzle with your crowbar/shotgun.

Puzzle ideas are very welcome.

Actually the primary reason why i have added all these cut scenes (other than that cut scenes haven't been seen that often in cortex command) is because i wanted to give the player a break from the action. Puzzles are a good idea for breaks but do you have any other idea. Maybe exploration (but that would require a lot of sprites D:).

Other than a zombie map i have bin thinking about making a map more similar to the helicopter maps in the first half-life 2 chapter. A gunship or something that shoots in bursts and you need to go from cover to cover while fighting some coalition dudes.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:57 pm

wow! very cool. i like how its a UAV and a Gunship in one. and is it just me or does it look like the gunship from C&C renagade?

Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Quote:
and is it just me or does it look like the gunship from C&C renagade?

I was actually inspired by the Orca bomber from tiberian sun (great game btw). If you look closely you can see that it has 2 tails. It isn't very noticeable because if I made more noticeable it would look weird and wouldn't fit the CC style.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:16 pm

I found the VTOLs are pretty good at totally owning the enemy with bombs of doom! Unfortunately, the AA tank is kinda weak, sometimes the flak bomb will pass through actors and doors before blowing up and is only really good for disarming lighter actors before you run them over with the tank.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next