View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 They hunger/FD's Guns 

Post Re: They hunger/FD's Guns
Flammablezombie wrote:
You know what this needs? A brain actor. Just make it a massive scrapheap pinned in place in a bunker module which is basically a cave made of a hollowed-out pile of scrap, which would be the ZombBot's one weakness: Their brain.

The Zombiebot king perhaps?

Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:39 pm

Location: In between your sister's legs, showing her how to use a... PS3 controller!
I was thinking more just the Mind. With a capital M. It would be a blatant reference to the Culture novels and sound cool at the same time!

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:12 am

Zeranual wrote:

This f**ker right here.

Anyways, as previously hinted, I am planning on extending the zombiebot faction.
This won't happen in a week or so tough, exams week and whatnot.

dragonxp wrote:
The only thing i really think doesn't make sense is the Shields Armory..
There isn't even a shield there, more like, Off hand Weapons.

That's why it's on quotes.

Flammablezombie wrote:
the ZombBot's one weakness

Stronger. Faster. Relentless. There is no weakness. Only extermination. Absolute extermination.

Err excuse me. That wasn't too cheesy now was it?

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:27 pm

After playing extensively with the ZombBots, I'd say they regenerate way too fast and you cant hit their heads unless you gib the torso first.

It makes fighting against them very frustrating because trying to take out the floating head that is about to regenerate while having a whole bunch his friends closing in on you with their super claws can get really frustrating.

If you're planning a faction or just an expansion, I can give some ideas:

Flying zombbot:

Has no legs, but a helicopter system that keeps him midair.
As weapons, tiny fast rate claws and a mounted arcing grenade launcher.
Very similar to this guy from oddworld:

Carrier zombBot:

Since the main zombots cant fly, this unit could help the problem by pickin up zombots on the ground by letting them grab the handles underneath the unit or alternatively the unit has a magnet that can tractor beam the units under it.

Now this is not a dropship, but the carrier magnet is powered with Lua to make it pickup units and they will hang under the carrier and the carrier may drop its passengers at any moment.

It flies by using 2 powerful rotors and has 2 rivet gun turrets as its defence.

Heres a super ultra fast concept I made in a minute or so:

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:28 pm

I couldn't think of any decent way of having them headshottable but not ending up ridiculous.
What kind of wounds would the head have? How many hits could it take? How on earth do you balance such an enormous weakspot?
I ended up taking the easy way out, and just making the head HitsMOs = 0 and giving the bots a rare brain tumor condition that causes them to blow up at certain health.

Originally the rezzing was supposed to happen from bits and pieces and dust which counted down the bot's "lives"
But the heads seemed to work out well enough.

---

(Mind you that actual skirmish bots are different from the ones you play with.)

The skirmish bots especially are a bit of an overkill in every field.
Except rez time, compare it to the player bot.
The whole skirmish thing was added in a hurry and wasn't really polished.

I'd imagine I could make the regeneration base on how long ago was the bot damaged.

---

I've already got the main lines down, altough that dropship idea is a good one.
Oddworld was/is still awesome though.

If I ever get to doing this, it will be a darn big project.

(Also they're zombiebots, zombbot is just an abbreviation )

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:48 pm

I always thought the general idea was that if you gib the torso, the bot will rez. If you gibbed the head instead, the bot wont rez. To make this balanced, the head should be stronger than the torso to gib.

The main goal of the player is to shoot his head clean off while trying to avoid hitting his torso. This should make the player think carefully and aim better for the head because if he slips and blows up the torso, the bot will rez. It would work pretty well and be still a challenge since the head would be stronger than the torso.

Also the overall HP regeneration rate would be 3-4 times slower than it is now, as an alternative way of killing the bot by draining the HP down to zero.
But in order to do that, the player must hit the bot wide and fast so it could happen.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:01 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Have them just die when the green bulb is shot and the green bulb only, or else they regen.

EDIT: Regen would be as it is now, except maybe a bit longer becasuse they regenerate nearly instantly.

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:36 pm

findude wrote:
Zeranual wrote:

This f**ker right here.

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System...I AM NOT ALONE!!! If I ever talk about this game to anybody they have never heard of the game and if they have they never played it...wich is why there will never be a sequel :-|
I thought they looked like the ones from that game but due to the "no ones ever played the damn game syndrome" I just thought it was a couencadence

you are the man! and this makes the mod even better :bow: (now I want to make that dummy car-ish thing of a mod into the RAT Hmmm)

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:15 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

gtaiiic, let it be, you know you don't want a fan sequel, and you also know that it's been too long for there to be a sequel...

Anyways, it usually take 3-7 seconds for them to morph back together.
You kill them by gibbing their torso, track down the green bulb and shot it, and you usually have 5 seconds to do it.

I'd like amalgamating.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:08 am

Foa, I'm sure he doesn't want a fan sequel, but you have to consider how great Metal Arms was (is?). It is really an excellent game, one that I would use as a model to compare many more mainstream games to. The only reason it didn't become hailed as the a game of the year is because the company went under immediately after release, so there was next to no press coverage.

Back on topic, amalgamation would be cool, but it seems like it would be brutal to code. Also, how do you disable weapons in the zombie activities file? I want to face hordes of melee undead, but the damn rocket launchers kinda break the flow. Just deleting the lines from the activities.ini threw errors.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:07 pm

The skirmish bots specifically rez randomly with weapons.
Check their Lua script.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:32 am

This is beyond constructive criticism. I love it. All I could really wish for, is them being able to grapple/grab onto actors/dropships, and claw away. YGMDL.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:02 pm

Grapling hooks and other rope based weapons would go really well with these guys. Both for moving around the level, carrying/manipulating things and killing people.

Like scorpion from mortal combat.

GET OVER HERE *harpoons*

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:10 pm

Location: In between your sister's legs, showing her how to use a... PS3 controller!
I think we should steal the wall grab code for Darkstorm. Like, if the claw hits terrain then pinstrength=whatevuh.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:16 pm

VladDracul wrote:
being able to grapple onto dropships, and claw away.

Another class, my friend. These are just plain grunts you're fighting. :mrgreen:

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next