View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:10 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Online Play - Yes this is a joke 

Post Re: Online Play - Yes I did get it working
Hmm... If this is real, I'm excited to see what the future holds. If this is fake, well....

Let's just say there are hunter-killer bots on standby. Just in case.... :x

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:25 am

Looks legit, but still rather suspicious...
Couldn't you just release it on the 2nd so all this 'hurr fake' bs could be avoided and everybody could enjoy some 'not sure if real' online play?

god I hate April 1st.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:29 am

Grif wrote:
Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
uh, it's april first you guys. I'm not even bothering, it's an obvious fake.

It's 10:14 PM march 31st, but, uh, did you try looking at the video? The five minute long video?

Videos can be faked, easily I might add. and you people are just the ones to do it.

dragonxp wrote:
Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
uh, it's april first you guys. I'm not even bothering, it's an obvious fake.

If this is real, you really chose a bad date to do it.
And if it is true, this is one small step for TLB and ONE LARGE LEAP FOR CC!

These people are smart enough to know that they shouldn't release anything major on April first, for fear of it being a joke... and as for the time?

10:pm march 31st when it was posted... wow, 2 hours before april first, while everyone's asleep so the first time anyone sees it is, first thing april 1st... By the way, its april 1st, 1:26 AM where I am. I know grif and TLB well enough that they aren't idiots. they wouldn't release ANYTHING major, just hours before april fools. ever. unless it where a joke.

Also, you want technical?

it loads a .dll file.
cortex command can not do this, even with lua, and is intentionally like that, to help prevent viruses, registration theft, etc. CC can not load non-vanilla compiled code. ever.
I DL'd it, and i'm deleting it because it has an unknown DLL.

The only reason I'm pointing out this as a joke, is because it would be the biggest letdown in CC history, and would result in the most unchill the forum has seen. I'd rather this explodes and gets deleted now, than later today when about 100 people think its actually real. do you know how many people could ragequit?

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
A HUMAN BRAIN, SAFELY INSULATED FROM THE TERRORS OF HYPERSPACE

Location: Somewhere beyond the endless sea of hyperspace, fighting for your right to call a planet home.
MaximDude wrote:
Couldn't you just release it on the 2nd so all this 'hurr fake' bs could be avoided?

god I hate April 1st.

Actually in our timezone we released it on March 31st, we didn't even think the date would be an issue, I can see how this would be a problem now.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:31 am

Dauss wrote:
MaximDude wrote:
Couldn't you just release it on the 2nd so all this 'hurr fake' bs could be avoided?

god I hate April 1st.

Actually in our timezone we released it on March 31st, we didn't even think the date would be an issue, I can see how this would be a problem now.

since only having 2 people playing online, world wide at any given time, isn't a joke either.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 am
Profile YIM WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:

it loads a .dll file.
cortex command can not do this, even with lua, and is intentionally like that, to help prevent viruses, registration theft, etc. CC can not load non-vanilla compiled code. ever.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12079
That is all.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:32 am
Profile WWW

Well, this could be solved with DLs, and confirmed-by-player tests. I have too much work to do, currently, so I'm not testing it. Still, the video looked pretty real to me, so when it's confirmed, I'll take a look at it.

I hate the April 1st suspicions... But once they're in your head, you can't ignore it. If this is real, then kudos for one of the greatest creations this game has ever seen.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:35 am

TheLastBanana wrote:
Miles_T3hR4t wrote:

it loads a .dll file.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12079
That is all.

touche, thats 1 for you, but thats only 1 of what, 4 or 5 things i've pointed out?

When you have this working so that there can be multiple servers you can connect to, or 1 server hosting several games, or even do peer to peer / IP based connections, I might actually believe it, because having only 2 people playing at any given time, is retarded...

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:36 am
Profile YIM WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

This IS an IP based connection, but I only have enough cash to run one server, and it's not a very good one either. If you don't want to try this, then go ahead and don't. I'm not going to stop you.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:40 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Quote:
When you have this working so that there can be multiple servers you can connect to, or 1 server hosting several games, or even do peer to peer / IP based connections, I might actually believe it, because having only 2 people playing at any given time, is retarded...

Multiple servers: Involves distributing our horrible gimped, barely working, cobbled together server code to other people. Not gonna happen; we want to preserve what we've done, at minimum, for a while, but we also want to ensure the best experience possible.

One server hosting multiple games? How? This is still CC; you can't play two skirmish matches at once, can you? Our server has to run all the data involved, in an actual cortex command window. We're not magicians.

IP to IP connections is both unfeasible and an unreasonable security risk. We're transferring files here, and neither TLB nor I are nearly competent enough to work up a decent network security system. For several reasons we decided on servers, and they're the best solution overall. Usability is a minor concern to getting this working, which we've accomplished, so now we can work on the less important details.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:41 am

Look, I don't want to get in the way, but honestly, if it's that big a deal to you, Miles, just don't believe it.
Especially if it's a hoax, wouldn't you feel better if all the folks who supposedly dogmatically followed it to its spectacular letdown found out what's up the hard way? If you think we're all a bunch of idiots, don't bother trying to warn us. Dauss is right; just let things go their course, and if you're right, well, ♥♥♥♥ us sideways. Honestly, though, let's keep this thread to actually helpful stuff. Such as, are any of the devs Mac users? Or any other CC programming wizards? I'd love to do the conversion myself, but I sure don't have the skill necessary.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:42 am

TheLastBanana wrote:
This IS an IP based connection, but I only have enough cash to run one server, and it's not a very good one either. If you don't want to try this, then go ahead and don't. I'm not going to stop you.

I meant 2 people contact eachother, trade IP's, and directly connect to eachother. you know, TCP/IP where 1 player hosts the game and acts as the server, and gives out the 'server IP' to potential players.

When you have it set to work that way, I'll believe it.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:44 am
Profile YIM WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Then you're not going to believe it, because it's not going to happen. You'd need one hell of a computer to run the server software and a copy of the game at the same time.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:46 am
Profile WWW

It keep's "server occupied". more server?

EDIT:
And, there are'nt Online Play Protect? So, it can save for Online, many hacker hang out there.

Last edited by JangkrikBusterII on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:50 am
Profile WWW

This works brilliantly. I can't seem to make heads nor tails out of the code(socket stuff is way over my head).

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:54 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next