View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:29 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next
 Online Play - Yes this is a joke 

Post Re: Online Play - Yes I did get it working
TheLastBanana wrote:
Then you're not going to believe it, because it's not going to happen. You'd need one hell of a computer to run the server software and a copy of the game at the same time.

bull♥♥♥♥, I can host a GMod server and run GMod, on the same machine, with about 4 people connected, On my shitty 512mb ram desktop. thats a private server, Steam, and GMod.

In this case, it's a lite server, presumably made by you guys, with bare-F-ing-bones functionality, and CC. -edit-
correction, not the default server inside GMod, but the older source server stuff -end edit-

and @grif

Not releasing the source code for bare bones software, to a community where at least some individuals know how to code in the same languages, is a bad idea. After all, If you release it, Someone, Somewhere down the line is going to make some improvements. Things you might not think to do.

releasing your server code has more pro's than con's. thats another reason to call bull♥♥♥♥ on this.

So far i've made 4 valid arguments, and you've collectively only given a good counter-argument to one of them.

But fine, I'll let this thread "run it's course" I'll let you guys have your fun. and if I'm wrong, and this is still here on the 2nd or 3rd, and you guys release your server code so we can have multiple servers, then I might take some interest in this. otherwise I'm leaving. and if i'm right... well... then I was right, and you'll just all have to accept that, and I'll be happy.

also on another note, Jee, what's with all these people posting who I've never heard of...? :roll:

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:58 am
Profile YIM WWW
A HUMAN BRAIN, SAFELY INSULATED FROM THE TERRORS OF HYPERSPACE

Location: Somewhere beyond the endless sea of hyperspace, fighting for your right to call a planet home.
People are excited about CC multiplayer maybe?

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:59 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Yes, clearly, the announcement of online multiplayer in CC is so boring that we're drumming up alt accounts to artificially generate interest.

Miles, you've seen right through us.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:00 am
happy carebear mom

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:
I can host a GMod server and run GMod, on the same machine, with about 4 people connected, On my shitty 512mb ram desktop.

I know next to nothing about GMod, but uh, isn't the bulk of the work [rendering, etc] done by the GPU? And isn't GMod running on HL2, a game that was made 6 years ago?

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:01 am

Hey, I'm no alt!

Just a longtime fan who only recently joined the forums. Speaking of which, I may wanna use my small amount of prior programming experience to pick up lua over the summer. Who knows, in a few months, I might be able to help you guys out with this project.

Code-monkeys are always helpful, Am I right?

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:03 am

Duh102 wrote:
1998?

2002-2004, good sire.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:04 am
happy carebear mom

MaximDude wrote:
2002-2004, good sire.

Yeah, I corrected myself. But still, back in 2004 512MB of RAM was still a decent amount.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:05 am

Duh102 wrote:
MaximDude wrote:
2002-2004, good sire.

Yeah, I corrected myself. But still, back in 2004 512MB of RAM was still a decent amount.

Decent? Holy ♥♥♥♥ 512 was insane.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:07 am

Dauss wrote:
People are excited about CC multiplayer maybe?

CC's always had multiplayer, it's just never had online multiplayer.

and you know what? I've never seen a thread of "hey guys, I live in X area, and was wondering if anyone else lives withing driving distance of X area, that would like to come have a CC lan party". I have never seen this. ever. and i've been here since what, B12-13? yes, my heart did skip a beat when I saw "online play - yes I did get it working", but then... well... If this works, and is working days from now, I'll congratulate you all then.

oh, and @duh102
HL2 was made in 2004
My computer seems to have been made in... 1994-1996?
the bulk of the work in GMod is only rendering in the GPU, client side, not server side. Server side handles the physics (to my knowledge). and HL2 is what it was based on.

Its now based on HL2: Ep 2, which has lots of nice current-ish generation graphics, and runs, what, Havok? Point is, Changing the graphics settings on GMod only does so much for the frame rate for me, clearly the bulk is not the graphics anymore.

@grif
... your right, Duh, TLB, Dauss, you would never do such a thing, I'm sorry for inferring that one of you might go that far...

and @the Egotist
I am sorry, if your not an alt, and you did pick up lua over the summer, Please do feel free to be more active. active, knowledgeable users are practically worshiped here. unless they're also trolls, but even then they get respect. Please do be more active.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:09 am
Profile YIM WWW
happy carebear mom

Furthermore miles, to get decent speed by itself, Cortex likes to have like 2GB of RAM and a current CPU. Then tack on sending/receiving all the data from the two clients and you have a lot of work for one computer. But I'm beating a dead horse.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:11 am

Miles_T3hR4t wrote:

and @the Egotist
I am sorry, if your not an alt, and you did pick up lua over the summer, Please do feel free to be more active. active, knowledgeable users are practically worshiped here. unless they're also trolls, but even then they get respect. Please do be more active.

Heh... I WISH I were a knowledgeable user. :oops: I know more than some thirteen-year old brat who suggests impossible mods. I can usually make sense out of code, and I know my way around variables and other programming conventions. But I learned to code in a REALLY OLD language, so I'm currently useless.

I'm just a big fan of the game, who would like to become a modder. I'm currently working on it.

But enough of the derail. I'm still waiting to see if this is legit, and hoping that it is.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:17 am

Duh102 wrote:
Furthermore miles, to get decent speed by itself, Cortex likes to have like 2GB of RAM and a current CPU. Then tack on sending/receiving all the data from the two clients and you have a lot of work for one computer. But I'm beating a dead horse.

I have a friend in texas, His brand new desktop, has 10GB ram. also sending/receiving data, does not take much ram. at most it would have to Send X,Y coordinates for all particles and MO's, and receive controller inputs from the players.

That's honestly not alot to send/receive, even maplestory has to deal with more, after all, it has to also send names, HP's MP's of all the 'objects' on screen, and sometimes there's more on screen than CC can have in game over-all.

Point being, If anyone has a decent computer, made in the last 2 years, they would be able to run CC and the server. you guys don't have the only good computer in all of data realms.

I'd also like to point this out.

Change the delta-time on the server, and on all connected clients. you know, Optimize the server. I also would like to suggest that.

If you have more than 4gb on your desktop (ensuring it runs fine), and are willing, please volunteer in this thread to be a multiplayer server host.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:20 am
Profile YIM WWW

I don't get some of you guys. This actually does work. There was quite a bit of lag as mentioned and ♥♥♥♥ can be glitchy at times but it works. Hopefully TLB and co can give it some more polish (and more servers).

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:21 am

WorldOfGooCorp wrote:
I don't get some of you guys. This actually does work. There was quite a bit of lag as mentioned and ♥♥♥♥ can be glitchy at times but it works. Hopefully TLB and co can give it some more polish (and more servers).

like I said, Volunteer server hosts, we have enough people with decent computers, we could at least get a few. If this is real and data sees it, do you really think he wouldn't set up host servers eventually himself?

--edit,
oh yeah, i forgot, I'm ignoring this.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:30 am
Profile YIM WWW

:roll: Anyone want to help with this poor unfortunate Discovery?

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:32 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next