View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Hydro Plus: Water Mod 

Post Re: Hydro: Water modules
Quote:
Hmmmm... could someone make a script which checks the proximity to it and another module next to it? I mean, make the water module a set square size (let's say 48 x 48), then check for another module just like it within size+1 pixel (49 in this case)? So you can have a water module that 'links' its physics to other water modules... which means actors would float to where the water module doesn't connect with other water modules on the top.
If my post's a bit unclear, please reply to ask about it.

Bit confused here. Could you try explaining it again.

Quote:
Zalo did this months ago with his Zalophagus islands or whatever it was called. There was also water in the brain race scene he did. This looks a lot more polished though. Good job!

Haven't try'ed that mod. Didn't know it included water.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:28 pm
Loose Canon

CrazyMLC wrote:
I can't believe nobody thought of this before.

Why does no one ever remember Lake Magilar?
But this is definitely prettier and more sophisticated than Magilar, so I'll give you props on that.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

*more quiet sobbing*

It's not pretty, though, and can lag if you have too many small water bits spread about.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:06 pm

@akblablabla: OK, so the idea I got in my head is that you make a 48 x 48 water that could 'connect' to other water modules, 'linking' their water physics.
So let's say I got a single 48 x water tile, the actor's gonna be floating 48 pix above the lowest part of that module, right? The actor's gonna get out of that floaty state if it leaves the module to the left and right.
Now let's add another 48 x water exactly above the other water tile, the actor now floats 96 pixels above the lowest part.
But wait! We add another 48 x water tile so it all looks like an L. On the left side the actor would float 96 pixels, but on the right it's gonna float 48 pixels!
If you arrange the tiles to form a square donut 144 tiles square (with a 48 square pixels non-water in its center) you could float 144 tiles OR 48 tiles in the center part, depending where you enter the center part from.

This requires some ungodly amount of Lua-fu though.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Hyperkultra wrote:
CrazyMLC wrote:
I can't believe nobody thought of this before.

Why does no one ever remember Lake Magilar?
But this is definitely prettier and more sophisticated than Magilar, so I'll give you props on that.

I think what he meant was putting it into modules.

Also, just clearing this up, it was "Zalopagos" a hybrid of my name and galapagos because it was a scene for simulating evolution.

To OP:
I like your usage of the "Diameter" variable for calculating density.
I also like your usage of "LakeBouyancy"
Good job.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:25 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
OK, so the idea I got in my head is that you make a 48 x 48 water that could 'connect' to other water modules, 'linking' their water physics.
So let's say I got a single 48 x water tile, the actor's gonna be floating 48 pix above the lowest part of that module, right? The actor's gonna get out of that floaty state if it leaves the module to the left and right.
Now let's add another 48 x water exactly above the other water tile, the actor now floats 96 pixels above the lowest part.
But wait! We add another 48 x water tile so it all looks like an L. On the left side the actor would float 96 pixels, but on the right it's gonna float 48 pixels!
If you arrange the tiles to form a square donut 144 tiles square (with a 48 square pixels non-water in its center) you could float 144 tiles OR 48 tiles in the center part, depending where you enter the center part from.

This requires some ungodly amount of Lua-fu though.

Now i understand, but that'll would take months and a lot of hacky workarounds and I don't know how laggy that is going to be. This is a big project that requires a lot of work. I think I'll just leave the water as it is now.

Quote:
I also like your usage of "LakeBouyancy"

:oops: i wrote the script on your script. Thats why i have that LakeBouyancy variable. But i actually made this script some months ago and totally forgot you.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:42 pm

Would it be possible to make some sort of exclusion tiles that would cancel the effect of the water?
Its not important or anything, but maybe there could be some sort of tiles that could allow normal movement under water within that tile so it could be possible to create an underwater base with dry areas?

The water mod is very complete now and I think the solution you came up for it is excellent both in realism and gameplay, so that above idea is just for expanding the mod to something more complex.

I just tried adding the Sea to your "Sea" map that came with the Phoenix mod and now it really feels like I'm playing on an aircraft carrier boat.

Btw cant wait to see how the Manta turn out, what features will you try to include with it from the original UT manta?

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:41 pm

Quote:
I just tried adding the Sea to your "Sea" map that came with the Phoenix mod and now it really feels like I'm playing on an aircraft carrier boat.

Btw cant wait to see how the Manta turn out, what features will you try to include with it from the original UT manta?

Will add an actually sea to the sea map soon and for the manta. I don't think it turned out as good as i expected. It's ok but i don't think it is nearly as good as the phoenix or the manticore. Might just need more tweaking. I can upload the beta if anyone is interested.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:54 pm

I can test it out and give some feedback.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:56 pm

This works pretty well the swimming works out nicely, but the buoyancy is pretty wonky, as I expected of any water mod.
How did you find the area/volume of objects, to find the density? The radius, or diameter values?

Or did you just kinda arbitrarily decide that MOSRotatings sink, and MOPixels float, and actors kinda sink unless they swim, etc?

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Quote:
This works pretty well the swimming works out nicely, but the buoyancy is pretty wonky, as I expected of any water mod.
How did you find the area/volume of objects, to find the density? The radius, or diameter values?

Or did you just kinda arbitrarily decide that MOSRotatings sink, and MOPixels float, and actors kinda sink unless they swim, etc?

Actually it is because the mass/density on CC objects are weird. It is fully dynamic but for some reason a lot of bullets are very light. I have been tweaking it a lot to make it feel right (that at least dead robots don't float for an example), humans on the other hand are special they can all "float" and they are lua'd to move in water and have the ability to dive.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:59 pm

OMG! This mod is so much fun to play with.
All you need to do now is to improve water sprites somehow.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:05 pm

You can now make mods to the water if you are interested. My next vehicle will be compatible with the water (can hover above water).

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:01 pm

This is awesome.
I like using my 50-cal that I made to move around, since it propels you pretty far underwater.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:09 pm
Profile WWW

This would be cool.
I think it would be cool if you made robot characters (even if it's just the default ones) die when they enter water.

I don't know much about programming (at least not CC) but if its possible, I'd say its a cool idea.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next