View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Red Legion (Economy mod contest 2nd place) 

Post Re: The Red Legion (Economy mod contest)
The rocket's perspective looks odd. Almost as if it was on an downward angle.

The weapons are simply beautiful, the cartoonish look is really enjoyable.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:34 am

Quote:
The rocket's perspective looks odd. Almost as if it was on an downward angle.
The weapons are simply beautiful, the cartoonish look is really enjoyable.

Thanks. The rocket is supposed to look 3D (Ooooooh.), but mabe I didn't pull that off so well.

Quote:
The actors seem slightly badly shaded, and aren't very readable.
The crafts look like blobs of tan metal and could use some more color variation.

Specifically which actors? The crafts are supposed to be made of brass and copper... I don't really know how I'd put more colours in and keep the brassy/coppery feel to it.

Quote:
Just as a warning, I'm reviewing the current version as-is, whether you're ready or not.

That's fine.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:42 am

Most of the actors look good, but slightly pillow shaded.

As for the crafts...

I decided to make an edit, seeing as showing is easier than telling.

Attachment:
DropShipBodyMLC0.bmp [10.7 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

First what I did was I edited the colors. Darker colors should fade into blue, so I made the yellowish colors fade to a red, a purple, and then a blue. This is what I'd call hue variation in shading, which often makes whatever you're drawing look better or more realistic, as objects in shadow tend to look bluer.
I also messed with the star logo to make it look painted on. I don't know what the goal was previously.

Attachment:
DropShipBodyMLC1.bmp [10.7 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

(Here you can see what I've changed side-by-side from the last step.)

The next thing I did was to change the shading.
Too many objects and parts were shiny, and it drew the attention of the viewer everywhere.
What I did to solve this was to add and remove highlights where needed, to draw attention to the larger, more important, parts of the ship, and away from nick-knacks like pipes and such.
I also made the ship seem like it's reflective by giving it weak highlights around the edges, like its surroundings are bouncing light onto it.

Attachment:
DropShipBodyMLC2.bmp [10.7 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

The next thing I did was to add color variation like I said. This isn't an exact term, but what I mean was that the whole ship looked like a blob of brass. One way to fix his is to make some of the details painted red so that it breaks up the big BLOB of brass.

Attachment:
DropShipBodyMLC3.bmp [10.7 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

And finally, here's the finished product.

Attachment:
DropShipBodyMLC4.bmp [10.7 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Hopefully I was able to help you to some degree.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:58 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

IMO, the actors are a little bit too fragile.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 am

CrazyMLC wrote:

Nax likes a lot, looks better fitting with red-faction-stuff.

also, Major, well done with heavier actors, are well-detailed, stronger version of foots would
fit better in the heavier actor of all of them, in my opinion, anyway 9/10 in spriting! :grin:

Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:38 pm

I have been extensively testing this, and I must say I've found a near perfect mod. The balance is incredible, and you can play it against nearly anything (especially the EAF, crobotech stands as a possible exception) I have some points of critique:

Things to add:
    A digger

A weapon specifically for the heavy mech

Craft deployable impact warheads

(maybe) a flamethrower

Things to remove:
    Preloaded rocket craft
    B-7
    B-7 b
    B-7 s
    B-9
    B-9 s
    B-15
    B-15 b
    B-15 s
    Swarovski 13 b
    MP 3 EM
    PPSK-11
    AK-19
    TG-66
    TG-66 b
    HEG-T7 ID

^all of the above just serve to clutter the buy menu in my opinion, and whose roles are easily fullfiled by the other weapons

Things to fix:
    Armoured soldier: The armoured soldier is barely tougher than a normal soldier. They bleed at the same rate, they have the same impact resistance, and so on. I suggest that you make the armoured soldier have a higher endurance than the normal one.

Dragunov: The dragunov should have a slightly shorter range but a higher accuracy than is represented.

RPG: It seems as if the RPG has the same explosion as a hand grenade, however the RPG missile looks a lot bigger. I would either suggest trimming down the size of the RPG, or giving is a higher amount of damage.

Bayonettes: In general, you probably shouldn't make them so sharp, bayonettes don't just cut, they also have stopping power. Also, if you could make them activatable (like as an alt fire key that you hold down) I think that would save a lot of property damage to craft and actors who want to pick up a bayonette mounted gun

FG-T5 Bundle: for some reason, this keeps exploding three seconds after I pull it out, no matter if I have thrown it or not. I believe it activates the timer whenever you pull it out of your inventory. I would fix this, unless you want to make it a craft dropped warhead.

Things to change (minor stuff):
    I think the assault soldier should use the AS-85 SMG instead of the bigger AK-19

I would have it to where the armoured assault soldier does not have the minigun, but instead has an AK-19 with an extended magazine, leaving the minigun to the heavy soldier

The CQC soldier might have the standard AK-SG 5, and the CQC armoured soldier could have the MAAG-SG

Change the Heavy assault soldier to have some FG-T5 bundles and the AK-GLs instead of the RPG, leave that to the Armoured soldiers

(maybe) have the commander (walking brain unit) come pre-equipped with dual Konrads and an MP-3

Raise the price of the plasma cannon to at least 200

Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Quote:
Things to add

Thesa are doable and will be done. (mabe slowly 'cause of exams.)

Quote:
Things to remove

Everything except the rocket craft (which I'll remove) is different and serve a purpose. Eg: The B-7 is a single round bolt action with slow, innacurate bullets but is cheap, while the S-13 is a five round quick firing, bolt action rifle with high penetration, accuracy and more particles per round. The other stuff is similar and the price difference is what counts. Eg: you pay 40% more for a scoped B-7-S than a non-scoped B-7.

Quote:
Things to fix

Armoured soldier: Easy, will fix.
Druganov: Fulfills a slightly different role to in real life so range won't change but I'll change the accuracy.
RPG: Easy, will fix
Bayonettes: Extremely hard to fix, may remain unfixed for a while, possibly forever.
FG-T5 Bundle: This happens with many TDExplosives, unfortunately you'll just have to deal with it. :(

Quote:
Things to change (minor stuff)

Doable, will fix.

Oh, CrazyMLC thanks for that awesome tutorial! I'll be upgrading the rest of the drop ship stuff and possibly the rocket after that.
Cheers! :smile:

Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:42 am

this is bothering me why do the heavies helmets look like they have gas masks they are DEAD why do they need gas masks!?! any chance on a face mask reworking?

Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

It doesn't really matter, in fact I like the irony.

http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10691&start=3660

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:10 pm

gtaiiilc wrote:
this is bothering me why do the heavies helmets look like they have gas masks they are DEAD why do they need gas masks!?! any chance on a face mask reworking?

^In any game, gas masks are a general status sign that says: "I am level 10 bad guy. Fear me."

Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:02 am

I've fixed some of the stuff that Joe mentioned, I've updated the dropship sprite and there is a full set of bunker modules.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:00 am

Post Re: The Red Legion (Economy mod contest 2nd place)
It would be awesome if the red legion and Wehrmacht had a battle! this mod looks cool, one question, what time zome is this???? (eg. modern)???

Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:56 am

1943 'round about. It's my version of World War Two. Cheers.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:11 am

These are epic.Epic epic epic.I love how they just EXPLOOOOODE so massively.The effects are awesome,the sprites are awesome,it is all AWESOME.Great job on these.

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:11 am

Huntsman wrote:
It would be awesome if the red legion and Wehrmacht had a battle! this mod looks cool, one question, what time zome is this???? (eg. modern)???

What, WWII Nazis against undead zombie Russian things? :0 Red legion would own! They have mechs. All Wehrmacht have are some puny PzKpfw II's...
Very very very awesome mod, by the way. I love everything about it!

Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next