View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Minor improvements to the Coalition, Dummies, and Ronin! 

Post Minor improvements to the Coalition, Dummies, and Ronin!
When I say the Ronin are "improved", I don't really mean it. They're weaker and their weapons are easier to break. Their redeeming aspect is that they are (Oh god why) even cheaper. However, the Coalition DID get an upgrade, as I noticed a few things about them. (Galley of images for those interested: http://imgur.com/a/dshco )

Things I noticed about the Coalition:
-They look pretty decently cool
-They are weak as hell
-Their assault rifle is OP
-The light soldiers have a chestplate "sprite" plastered onto their torso sprite
-I ran out of things to say

So, I went about doodling around in photoshop and gimp, to see what I could come up with, and I'm actually pretty proud of what I came up with.

That's it for the Coalition, but I also made a few improvements to the Dummy faction.

Things I noticed about the Dummies:
-While every other faction has at least two actors, usually a light and a heavy soldier, the Dummies only have one AHuman actor, and he is weak as hell.
-The dummies lack strong, assault rifle-like weapons, and need a better sniper rifle.
-It's completely impossible to get an exit wound through a Dummy's head, but they're made of freaking plastic so it doesn't make sense.

So I added a new actor, made out of metal, because that makes sense, I think. (eh, maybe not in hindsight, but whatever. They look ok-ish.) I also added a couple of Nail-based assault weapondry, including a rather dangerous shotgun, assault rifle, and SMG, as well as a slightly better sniper rifle. (The Defender Rifle is just barely strong enough to regularly hit weapons out of enemy actors hands when you hit their weapons. Ha!)

Everything in the Ronin is just cheaper and weaker.

also included is a "Wounds.ini" file I've been messing with, just place it in Base.rte/Effects/Wounds. This Wounds file now makes use of a couple of bloody animations that I found within the file, but were not being used. It just makes fighting fleshy actors look more devistating. Don't add in the Wounds.ini file if you don't like constantly looking at excessive Blood at each hit. It's not even realistic. It just looks cool.

Another edit, this time I fixed the gibs on the Coalition Rocket (finally), the gibs now look correct. And as-per the request of SharpenedOnTheDawn, I changed around the sprites for the Coalition face-plates a little to make them look a little better. They now look more srs.

Because the in-site uploader here hates me, here's a dropbox link. (sorry!) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43670290/CCStuff.zip

New Coalition Update: (Will break Maginot Defense hard, only DL if you know the basics of how to change code): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/436 ... on.rte.zip

Last edited by nubbles on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:59 am

Post Re: Minor improvements to the Coalition, Dummies, and Ronin!
This seems really cool, DLing now

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:36 pm

so i would first like to suggest that in future you list all the changes you made in your main file espeshaly for a mod that is not easily uninstallable.

for the sake of others the changes i have seen are
coalition
all actors have had armor added (most noticeably a metal face shield) and have increased in price.
a version of the regular rifle with a shield attached has been added.
a machine gun siting between the Gatling and rifle in firepower.
the drones weapon has been added and will send your troops flying around the map.
a re textured version of the rocklet
a pulse digger with wider spread
a brain caller which drops mobile-brain in a crate
EDIT: also a Gatling drone with a rifle rather than a Gatling.

dummy changes are same as listed as are ronin.

a drop beacon has been added to dummy coalition and imperios faction. this spawns 2 a drop-ship within 2 actors within, cheaper than actually buying the troops.

a few thoughts, your metal domes on the coalition make the helmets feel out of place, you may wish to add some green to them to make them fit thematically. machine gun is nice.

as for the dummys a heavy actor is good, however concerning the lack of assault rifle i thing you are overlooking the frag nailer which fills the roll excellently despite not being a rifle. Similarly the nailer smg fills the same roll as the blaster.

the shotgun is nice as it fills a role not covered by the vanilla dummy. The defender also does this although perhaps it could have less ammo per clip or considerably slower rate of fire to distinguish it from the scout in more than the range.

all your weapon sprites fit well with the vanilla. you appear to be fond of the silvery metal on the actors, which does not fit very well aesthetically with either faction, however I'm cretin with the talent you've shown, making your own faction with that colour scheme would work out wonderfully.

thanks for taking the time to read, i hope you found it useful.

Last edited by SharpenedOnTheDawn on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:15 pm

Oh wow, thanks for the feedback, and actually taking the time to look over what I did! I'm always looking to improve, and I have a lot of room for it considering how new I am. You're right about the beacon-grenades and other things, I forgot to mention a bunch of the stuff I changed, mostly because I forgot it was there (the beacons were a personal lua test to see if I could get that to work, I find them useful in campaign to spam, because the actors automatically go to brain-hunt AI mode.) Same thing with the Coalition Rocket, I tried to resprite the Dummy rocklet, and although it needs to have the gibs and feet redone, I thought I did a decent job with it. If you look closely on the machine gun, the little barrel spins when you shoot, which I thought was really cool. I'll look into nerfing the Defender, and perhaps making it more powerful, because as of right now it's only 50% more powerful than the Scouting Rifle, and the main thing that is good about it is its ability to knock weapons out of the hands of other actors.

As for the coalition, I'm a little unsure of what you mean when you say "your metal domes on the coalition make the helmets feel out of place, you may wish to add some green to them to make them fit thematically. " Which metal domes, the ones on the actual head sprite, or the head-covers? And I did have them as more of a greenish color, if you look in my files. I have my first, second, and third attempt all saved in there, as well as some of the other bits and bobs.

I just went around with the Frag Nailer, and while I do agree that it fits well with the whole "Assault" category, it is not what I would consider a traditional "Assault Rifle", which I kind of wanted to have with my Dummies. The Nailer SMG was the first change I made to the Nailgun, it was initially supposed to be a burst weapon which unloaded a lot of bullets really fast, and while I do agree that the Nailer SMG and the Blaster are functionally similar, so are the Ronin's Uzi and MP5K. I just wanted the Dummies to have more of a selection of primary weapons that were not super expensive.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the Nailer Shotgun, that one had to have quite a bit of tweaking to get it to feel a little more balanced, as at first I had copied the Pumpgun .ini coding to get it, and twelve extremely sharp nails is a little much, so I brought it down to 4, then up to 5, and made it fire quite a bit more slowly than it did at first. As a side note I also need to find a different sound to the Defender Rifle, it needs to have more of an authoritative firing sound.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:05 pm

Quick complaint, for some odd reason, it changes up a code for the revolver cannon in Maginot defense

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:43 am

halo117 wrote:
Quick complaint, for some odd reason, it changes up a code for the revolver cannon in Maginot defense

Sorry about that halo117, I added in my Missions.ini to the .zip file, that has the revolver cannon removed from the maginot mission. Also the Dummy Assault will spam errors in console, just ignore them, they don't effect gameplay except to maybe slow down the game a little.

I messed around with the helmet sprites for the Coalition, and I think they look pretty decent now. More green and such. I'll post pictures later, when I finalize the changes.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:34 am

Edit on the complaint. trying to change up some messed up coding. you need to work on the lines a little, some of the lines are moved are are squished together.

EDIT: After Fixing some lines and making them neater, OMG this is so good!

Last edited by halo117 on Tue May 28, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:52 pm

I've got more things in the pipe. Chief among them is the addition of two weapons to the Tradestar arsenal, an assault rifle and heavy SMG, and a change of descriptions to most of the other weapons, and the addition of a Marksman Rifle for the Coalition. I've also done some tinkering with the Imperatus wounds to make it look different (and lag more). I'm also on the fence about pricing, and am constantly changing little things, such as the Techion, which are pretty unbalanced in their vanilla state.

EDIT TO PREVENT DOUBLE POST: I'm sorry about my lack of activity; I've been rather busy and have made some changes to the Coalition. I'll add a seperate download for just the updated Coalition, but it's not quite finished yet.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:43 am

I downloaded the mod but I ignored the coalition update that you needed coding to fix, do any of you know how to fix this so I can start playing Cortex Command again? :oops:

EDIT: at least can I get the normal coalition? I can't play Cortex Command anymore, I just want to be able to play my favourite game again!

Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]