View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next
 thesoupiest's Combined Forces - R.I.P. 

Post Re: thesoupiest's Combined Forces - Release 2 (2/14/11)
Quote:
general Blast Pistol dissent
It was kind of hackneyed together, and I was really considering making it a heavy slug pistol, but I decided that it would be best as a sort of very compact shotgun. Changes may occur.
Quote:
general Heavy Trooper jetpack dissent
If it's taking too long to fly, you're holding too much. Short and simple. Any more than a GS Heavy Machine Gun grounds it, and that's how it should be. The Heavy Trooper was intended as a durable soldier to protect your expensive investment - a heavy weapon. Other soldiers are either incapable of carrying them or too squishy, or, usually, both. The Heavy Trooper alleviates both issues at the cost of a large amount of gold. To make them able to be aerial shock troopers wielding Rocket Projectors would simply be overpowered.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Quote:
general heavy trooper pack dissent and thesoupiest's reply

Or if it bothers you guys that much, just edit the pack to be stronger. Given that it's really just a matter of taste and not an actual issue, it's not worth the argument.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Before I head off for the day I thought I should check in here and express my approval for this mod. You're doing it right, soupy man. Polished art and effects for the most part, very good.

I might nitpick later on ;)

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:10 pm
Profile WWW

Geti wrote:
arousing offer of criticism
Oh yeah, Geti. Criticize me just like that.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:17 pm

Eh, I get a error with this, it says something like "cannot copy from Flame Hurt 1", or something like that, do you know what's wrong?

Last edited by David Rodrigov on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:21 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

You using B23 by any chance?

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:21 pm

No, I have B24 installed.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:22 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

The Heavy Trooper's jetpack is fine, I just equip him lightly and can fly almost anywhere.
And true, it would be seriously overpowered if you could equip him with the LRP or HRP and go flying and shooting. In that way he could become a gunship.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:01 am

I actually liked the way the Heavy Trooper jetpack was. It took a while to get off the ground even if you hold the jet button down. This adds to the 'heavy' feeling to it. This effect is still here in this release, only more subtle. And I'm also okay with that.

Oh, and these should not get forgotten.
Quote:

That's a modified Dummy Rocklet if I'm not mistaken? I wonder how it'll fair indoors. Or is it an outdoors-only armor unit?

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:08 am

Location: [Insert ominous, personally significant and extremely obvious location Here, e.g. behind you]
Numgun come back wrote:
No, I have B24 installed.

You can't have. Flame hurt 1 isn't defined in B23, it is in B24. Reinstall. And make sure this time it's B24.dmg.

And that's a dreadnought, not a rocklet.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

No, the leftmost armored unit has some similarities with the dummy rocklet. I actually think too that it is a modification of it.
But what stops the dummies from taking an existing vehicle and modifying it radically?

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:13 pm

The Goliath will have some of the characteristics of the Rocklet, though mostly growing its own.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:39 pm

The ballistic weapons don't feel right with all of the really, really high velocity stuff. You need to indicate what's happening where, especially with guns like the LMG. Trails would help a lot (as would some decreased terrain pillaging), or even lines indicating the angle of impact (in effect, a short trail pointing towards the gun from the point of impact). That's my main criticism of all of these mods, the damn guns kill stuff just fine but do it in a fairly uninteresting way. Things that get around this problem include the fireworks launcher and the explosives (though the grenade launcher could use more effects, take a look at the crobo explosives. I liked its effectiveness though).

The derelict robot is fairly excellent in everything except its jetpack: you need to replace the fuel fire emitters (or whatever the preset name is) with null sprites in the copy to prevent it seeming like its throwing debris, and some smaller fire and smoke particles would help a lot. I kind of liked how un-agile it was.

The Heavy Soldier's pack could use some aesthetic tweaking as well, make some blue "gas fire" particles to complement the flash. I like the smoke, though some larger smoke particles could make it more dramatic, now it's a little spammy.
The head sprite of the heavy could use tweaking too, under its helmet there's a patch of really inconsistent style.

The Loki troops (both the chimera crab and the soldier) could use some more descriptive wounds.
The crab's gun would look more menacing with smoke along with the sparks, maybe make a few emitters to throw out smoke trails if you're feeling dedicated.

Everything could use more small gibs, I noticed that with the large turret especially and then had a look at all the other troops (bar the derelict robot, which has great gibs, thank you oldschool vanilla) and they could really use some effects to show them dying more. The crab just sort of fell in a heap and turned into terrain, surely it would be more fun if it splashed out black smoke and blood and exploded, considering what a strong presence it can have with that gun.

Oh, some of the guns could use touching up, they're missing strong enough outlining or are banded. Go hand out on pixelation for a while to see what I mean if you don't understand.

Essentially, you've got most of the functionality down, now work on the drama. I like where this is headed.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 am
Profile WWW

Geti wrote:
delicious, specific, thorough criticism
Yeeesss. It sustains me. It feeds me!

Geti wrote:
on ballistic weapons
Consider that a real-life gun is not an especially exciting murder weapon. You point, you pull the trigger, a near-invisible muzzle flash, and a bullet wound appears in their chest. However, I will see what can be done to strike a balance between real and awesome.
On explosives, I also tend to stray more towards realism. However, if over-the-top is what is wanted, it will be provided.

Geti wrote:
on the Derelict jetpack
The Derelict jetpack will be fixed.

Geti wrote:
on the Heavy Trooper
I figured a cleaner blue flame would make it look better. I will see how it looks with extra particles and then make a judgement call.
The head sprite was the last thing to get changed, and as such it was tweaked only slightly. I will be doing more work on it.

Geti wrote:
on the Brigade actors
And this is the only part where I disagree. I feel the Revenant's turret is already very flashy.

Geti wrote:
on gibbing
Ah, great. More sprites and gibs to write out. What fun. I had enough trouble with the turret, but I guess more could be done...

Geti wrote:
on sprites
Basically, this entire post is going to get done when all of the factions are finished function-wise. Function before form!

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:41 am

thesoupiest wrote:
Consider that a real-life gun is not an especially exciting murder weapon. You point, you pull the trigger, a near-invisible muzzle flash, and a bullet wound appears in their chest. However, I will see what can be done to strike a balance between real and awesome.
On explosives, I also tend to stray more towards realism. However, if over-the-top is what is wanted, it will be provided.

Which is good and all, but this is not an FPS where you can look down the iron sites (or what not) and see where the gun is pointing and thus pretty much where the invisible bullets will strike. It is not realistic to be playing the game from a side-view, and the visible bullet trails (not to mention slow velocities) are unrealistic mechanisms to make the game more playable. The sharp aim dots help out a lot in getting the player's aim on track, but when you combine short sharp aim with no (or effectively no) tracers hitting becomes a bit difficult except by spray and pray. I can only stand to use the combat shotgun and the HMG, the others (particularly the new silenced smg and the autogun) I find a little too hard to use.

One solution would be to move all the "bullets" into their own ini file, create a duplicate ini file with visible bullets and let people toggle in the index.ini whether they want the visible or invisible ones.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32  Next