View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next
 thesoupiest's Combined Forces - R.I.P. 

Post Re: thesoupiest's Combined Forces - Release 1 (2/6/11)
Well isn't that expected, seeing as they are both broken down and decaying?

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:53 am

Gameplay should take precedence over 'canon'. If it is intended to be able to be deployed from a dropship, it should be able to do so without taking damage.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:21 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Well, that's true.
Anyway, I prefer to unload them from a drop crate, in that way the don't take damage.
At least they shouldn't.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:24 am

The Revenant, for a price tag of 150oz, is a pretty powerful unit. Its machinegun is strong enough to take down a T-800 Terminator. So I don't really care about how fragile it is.

The Fallen Bridager however, might need a cheaper price or slightly better durability. Even if it's canon that it's 'decaying', there are two sides for interpretation. It either means it is highly fragile due to the decaying flesh, or highly durable because it's technically not alive and ignores a lot of damage.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:43 am

Post Re: thesoupiest's Combined Forces - Release 2 (2/14/11)
Release 2 is out.
Those of you with complaints about the durability of the Fallen Brigadier, Lazarus Revenant, and Derelict Robot were not alone - I, too, had problems with it and finally overcame my urge to just say that it's how they are meant to be.
Some less important features were put on the back-burner - the Carbine and Pistol sprites will be revamped at a later date. I instead took priority over releasing new content.
I had an issue with the Antimatter Charge concerning self-referencing. It was ironed out for release. If anyone knows very clever methods of referencing, please PM me to help me with the matter.
Until Release 3, I'll dangle a little juicy bit of meat for you all to talk about.
Quote:

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Location: [Insert ominous, personally significant and extremely obvious location Here, e.g. behind you]
killowatt wrote:
Jizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

^What he said^

I no longer have any major complaints. I'll go over the weapons again and see if there's any niggles with their use, but I don't think there are any glitches left.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:52 pm
Profile WWW

There seems to be a Problem with SA.
It tries to load Base.rte\Devices\Diggers\DiggerSound.wav. But It has the wrong slashes.
Where to fix this?

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:09 pm

Location: [Insert ominous, personally significant and extremely obvious location Here, e.g. behind you]
Go to WB in SA.rte, find the .ini file, press command-F and type
Code:
\
in the find box and
Code:
/
in the replace box.

Last edited by [Insert Name Here] on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:16 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks.
It was in ShadowAspect.rte/WB/WB.ini

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:18 pm

And thanks for warning me.

FREAKIN' BACKSLASHES, THESOUPIEST. FREAKIN' BACKSLASHES.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:22 pm
Profile WWW

This release has some great stuff, but some nit picks too.

Rotary laser has a much better visual now. Like it.
Heavy trooper looks beefier, jetpack is easy to manage. Good.
Rocket rifle is fun to use. The damage is just right, justifying a large clip when compared to other rocket launchers. Barrel seem a little narrow for a launcher. Could use one more pixel.
Antimatter charge is a good way to dig through bunkers, though not very new.

Nitpicks:
I've had incidents of the Revenant's ribcage got destroyed, leaving the jetpack hanging in mid air in the last release. Dunno if it's fixed here.
Also, now that the silent machine gun is added, the SA's machine SFX doesn't sound right. Too quiet.

The biggest problem I have with this update is the Blast Pistol. It's essentially a cheaper, downgraded version of the Riot Gun with nothing new. In canon, it's what Trade Star does, selling generalized/downgraded versions of weapons from all factions (Flak cannon vs Coalition version, AK-47 vs YAK-47, Whitebot's laser technologies, etc). However, it's a mod and it should go wilder. Like, what if the Blast Pistol sprite is actually a one-shot multi-launcher? It can launch both shotgun shells and signal flares. Then you've got yourself both the Riot Gun and the Fireworks Launcher for the price of one, only downgraded.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:24 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Actually, the base.rte weapons are just leftovers from earlier builds.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:28 pm

Well, Data did added the laser and blaster to the list in later builds. Though they could be Whitebot stuff with no where to go. (EDIT: No wait a second. Those two ARE TS weapons. That's why I thought the rest are also TS stuff.)

I've always thought those belonged to Trade Star.

Aaaaaaanyway... :-(
I still think the Blast Pistol's role duplicates too much with the Riot Gun. And something has to be done.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:32 pm

A bunch of things do the exact same thing - The GS light rocket launcher is roughly-the-same-but-heavier-than the RL Fireworks Launcher. I don't see any reason to complain. Plenty of factions have weaponry equivalencies.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:43 pm
Profile WWW

The new Heavy trooper's pack still seems weak to me. I have to hold it into the red to even lift off and then I can only fly a few feet. It's more like a very delayed jump pack right now. I recommend looking at the carbotech units if you want a "hold button" type jet pack rather then a "tap button" one.

I agree that the blast pistol seems a bit odd. It's shots aren't too damaging and its spread is so great that you really do have to jam it right into their face to be assured of a good shot. If you were to change it into something other then a shotgun pistol, which is a niche that I think has been filled, I suggest a single shot, very heavy round, pistol. Something like the coalition rotating cannon, which uses heavy shots at high speed to tear through armor. If you wanted to really run with it and have some fun you could scavenge the code from the nailer turret (viewtopic.php?f=61&t=16545&start=0&hilit=dummy+vehicle) and cause it to stick in and then, after a delay, explode. It would be a good panic weapon or something to use to damage heavy targets.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next