View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The House of Suns 

The House of Suns
The House of Suns

The House of Suns is a massive corporation that employes drones and UAVs to destroy and opposing forces.
The drones and UAVs have a CPU unit that is out of phase with reality and can move at super-luminal speeds so that the CPU can be at more than one place at a time. This is used to give commands to the drones from accross the galaxy meaning that the drones can be controlled in real-time by soldiers on planets lightyears away, with out the possibility of interference by the opposition. But this ability is not for sale and is used expressly by the corporation.

The House of Suns is purely a commercial force, but will act with devestating force against anyone they percieve as a threat to the corporation, and they maintain a large standing force for this purpose. There are rumors of a new series of superdrones that the corporation posesses in secret, but there is nothing to substantiate this rumor, exept for a number of rival corporations that have dissapeared without a trace...

Attachment:
THS.zip [3.21 MiB]
Downloaded 4093 times

Attachment:
File comment: Slightly less stuff
THS Cut Down.zip [3.13 MiB]
Downloaded 1330 times

Have fun. :)

Credits to Mehman and Roast Veg for testing.
Also used a couple of the Coalition sprites, so credits to Prom.

Last edited by Major on Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:07 am

Post Re: The House of Suns
Alright, I am the first to download, and it's a very nice mod, the sprites are really nice, much better than anything I could do, actors are also very well done, and I like how you gave them a similar style.

My only complaint is that the guns however, are really, really, redundant and if you could narrow them down a bit, it would be a better mod.
But overall it's a very nice mod, good job with it.

Also wow ludsoe, I wanted first post, yours contains almost no content and is a disgrace.

Your wish is granted. - Seraph

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:13 am

I be obtaining a rather unsatisfactory conspiracy of me getting an error within the bounds of this mod during the task of loading Cortex Command.

I really wouldn't mind testing this out.

EDIT: Something to do with a reference to a door in the Base.rte.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Location: [Insert ominous, personally significant and extremely obvious location Here, e.g. behind you]
Okay, I'm not entirely sure if I'm not just being a nasty little bugger, but I can take one look at that weapons list and instantly say 'Too many automatic weapons'.

Remove an undersized carbine or two.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:14 pm
Profile WWW

Sprites are good, the designs are good(I looove the Mk.III's hunchback).

There are two problems I find annoying:
1.The overly large content size. Like others said, there are many guns and actors that can be down right cut away.

Simplify the categorization. There's no need for a variant of everything for the same model of robot. Like, leave sniper variants only to lighter units, and leave close quarter variants to heavily armored units only. And do we need two variants of the guard? I think not. The guns also, too many same types of guns.

2. The sound effects. Most of the lighter guns(machine pistols) have overly loud and heavy sounds. While some fast-firing guns have overly long sfx(the sniper rifle). Better sound effects would make quite a difference.

However, I do love the reddish designs with the mono eye. They look single-minded and aggressive, ready to invade some planets. You should add those smaller units into the activity too. It would feel like being swarmed by a huge invading army, with occasional super strong Mk III units.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:31 pm

Coops9753 wrote:
I be obtaining a rather unsatisfactory conspiracy of me getting an error within the bounds of this mod during the task of loading Cortex Command.

I really wouldn't mind testing this out.

EDIT: Something to do with a reference to a door in the Base.rte.

I'm getting it as well.

Without downloading, the sprites look great, but too many pistols (Or what I assume are pistols).

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:47 pm

My god, yours is fantastic spriting, mayor :-? *envy*
Thumbs UP!

Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:32 pm

Location: [Insert ominous, personally significant and extremely obvious location Here, e.g. behind you]
Naxete wrote:
My god, yours is fantastic spriting, mayor :-? *envy*
Thumbs UP!

Not really.

P-P-P-PILLOW SHADING!

I think you could get rid of the soldiers on the right and the square-headed bot on the left. The rest are pretty consistently styled, but those three look different.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:28 pm
Profile WWW

Quit trolling about pillow shading, you're not the sprite police.

Also Tv-head droid looks very classy 8)

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:18 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

It's only some slight pillow shading on the ACrabs, nothing major to worry about.
Though the guns are looking pretty boring, I know that there's more shades in em but they look like solid color shade + outlines.

Oh and as usual, you're a bit too eager at making more guns :P

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Scene throws an error because it's referencing something in Base.rte that doesn't exist. i disabled the scene so i could test the other stuff. This mod has quite an enormous amount of stuff, and that'd be nice if it wasn't all so similar. you could definitely cram a lot of stuff into individual items. you don't really need that many different kinds of pistol, smg, etc. gun sprites are nice but i think the actor's sprites could use a bit of work.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:25 pm

Notes:
- I am intimidated by the weapons list!
- I like the elliptical red robots that look like "corewalkers."
- I am too familiar with the soldier sprites and weapon sprites.
Suggestions:
- Keep the TV head bot and all the red bots: I like them, I like to huggle them <3
- Keep the weapons with the most unique feel/effect and give them the same red, ellipsoid sprites as the bots. Maybe make a few plasma or solar powered weaponry with burns and smoke. Like an incendiary grenade/plasma grenade launcher.
- Make an elliptical dropship also as red as the bots.
- Keep on the elliptical, crimson/red, and one cyclopean eye theme. It's the trademark and distinctive feature of this mod.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:17 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I think you need a system whereby we can choose the weapons for the ACrabs. Perhaps some kind of proximity item that changes the ACrab to the ACrab with the gun? That way they can both be put into one craft together then dropped and the ACrab would pick it up. I'll whip up a script if you're interested.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:49 pm

Yes, an ACrab modular weapon system would be good. The actor list is as long as it is.

And, I do see pillow shading. Not that we should ban pillow shading, but it makes the objects blend, especially when it's present on almost all parts of an Actor. Some added details, more complex shape or mechanical lines will enhance the look I think.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:33 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I actually felt like drafting a script anyway.
Code:
function Create(self)
    self.removal = <<SomeOtherPresetName>>;
    self.addition = <<SomeOtherPresetName2>>;
end

function Update(self)
    for actor in MovableMan.Actors do
        if actor.PresetName == self.removal then
            if actor.Pos.X - self.Pos.X >= -20 and actor.Pos.X - self.Pos.X <= 20 then
                if actor.Pos.Y - self.Pos.Y >= -20 and actor.Pos.Y - self.Pos.Y <= 20 then
                    local swapsies = CreateACrab(self.addition);
                    swapsies.Pos = actor.Pos;
                    swapsies.Vel = actor.Vel;
                    actor:ToDelete = true;
                    MovableMan:AddActor(swapsies)
                end
            end
        end
    end
end

I can smell mistakes in there, though.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:08 am