View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Shadow Echelon [Low Filesize Version] 

Post Re: Shadow Echelon [V0.12 B27 "Cerberus Machine Gun"]
@ScarabParamit
Thanks for the bug report. I had noticed that the round chambered feature was misbehaving when you loaded the last of your ammo, but it's a problem of minor consequence that doesn't come about too often, so I just put off perfecting that until later.

If you want to release a derivative mod of this mod, your own alteration of what I've made, I suppose we can work that out, if we can keep the two separate.
To prevent confusion between your derivative and my original, I would want you to release your version in a different thread, with an explanation of its derivative nature, and a link to page one of this thread.

If you were wanting to work together on one version of the mod, I'm sorry, I don't think that will work out. I work very inconsistently, so coordinating a cooperative effort with me wouldn't work well, and there would be some communication concerns.

@Visage
I suppose you're right, pooled ammo really wouldn't be tremendously complex, but it would involve global variables and tables. Despite having tinkered with Lua a decent amount, I've never come to understand those very well, so jumping into scripting a new feature that centers around them has been slightly daunting, and I've been more than slightly lazy about doing so.

Edit: I've been messing with pooled ammo. Since actors' IDs aren't constant, this is plenty complicated, if even possible. :roll: Or at least the way I'm trying to do it is.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:43 pm

I hope it's not look like I'm trying to steal Your work, also i don't want to make separate version of this mod.
I make mods from long time to many games, i know how it works =)

I was working on lore-accurate but still "kind of my vision" of weapon pack based on Warhammer 40.000...but builded from scrach with as much "my own" as I can. From casing sprites through sounds up to scripts, unfortunately because i'm still to newbie with .lua, scripts are only part i need help, tips or guides, and what i learn is mostly reverse-engineered or based on rebuilded scripts of devs or some modders from Mod Making - Lua Scripting.

I also work inconsistently, as i work on other tasks like Misery 2.0 for Stalker, still i hoped for some knowledge sharing, tips or help from time to time, in return (aside from what I mentioned) i can help with beta testing, fixes, new solutions or addons.

As i understand, You allowed me to create my own mod using part of Your scripts if i will remember about credits, is that correct?
If so thats what i hoped for =)

If You want something just ask, i don't get offendet if You are ambitious and decide to do it Yourself...so i hope i don't offend You by proposing any solutions or resources. Regards.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:31 am

Usage Guidelines wrote:
If you want to use something from this mod for your mod:
Lua Scripts / Ini Code: Credit me accordingly please. Permission is not needed, but I'd be interested to hear what you're making in a PM.
So yes. Credits are all I ask if you use my scripts, or sizable portions of them. With smaller snippets of script, I wouldn't even bother asking for credits.

You certainly haven't offended me with offers of help, but I prefer to work through efforts myself, when they're something I can manage, anyway. Getting a point in the right direction, and then taking it there myself is great, but simply having my work done for me is unsatisfying.
Bug reports are hugely appreciated, though, so I can know what needs fixing.
Help with sounds would be fine, since I don't usually attempt to make my own anyways. I'm mostly content with the sound sources I'm already using, though.

As for helping you, I'd be happy to try to help with specific lua or ini problems you encounter, but I'm not very good at giving general tips/advice.
For teaching spriting, I'd be absolutely useless, except as an example of mediocrity... well, maybe upper-level mediocrity. :P

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:27 am

Ok then, thanks for that =)

I posses large sound archive on my own...because i know most of them are "protected by copy rights" i only use those sounds to mix them together in Adobe Audigy to create uniqe ones.
From fire sounds, shell drops, or ricochets. I upload them someware soon, and You keep what You like.

I can handle sprites on my own very fine i think. Still some day You may consider using my animated mag pack to use them with mag-anime script.
As for now i have 9 mag tipes-sizes, every one in at least 3 different ammo colour (for ammo types) and in differ frame ammounths, from 5, to 18. Banana, Simple, Drum and box =]

As for bug testing, if i found something from time to time, then let You know here or on PM?

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:40 pm

Wow, the neck breaker has to be one of my favorite things out of any mod on CC i have played so far. I noticed that if the enemy actor somehow survives the neck breaker, he goes inactive and just sits there. Loved that so much.
EDIT: actually, that was due to the scene where i used it on, still, i love this mod.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:29 pm

Next glich...if You have gun in hands and ammo boxes in inventory...
If you switch inventory item using pie menu right arrow (next?) ammo box will dissapear and add ammo automatically...and if you switch using left arrow (previous?) actor will equip ammo box without adding ammo (ofcourse we can press fire and "use" ammo box to add ammo it contains).

Now...if we have in inventory let's say...a gun,tool,and few ammoboxes...set up in this order in buy-menu...after deployment if we start to switch actor inventory and clicking ammoboxes those one inventory switch from gun will work...but those inbetwen ammoboxes or tool ...will dissapear.

Code is to complex for my skill on this level it is right now...so to overcome first bug i set up
sharpness in INI of ammoboxes to 3...to disable "try to aply constantly" on create, and to overcome seccond thing i was forced to disable in lua of ammobox:

Code:
   --make checking not go full auto if done via mouse click
   if self:IsActivated() then
      if self.nofullautochecks == 1 then
         self.Sharpness = 1
      end
      self.nofullautochecks = 0
   else
      self.nofullautochecks = 1
   end

Now they work only if picked up with proper weapon in hands, not ideal thats why i call it "overcome technice" and not "a fix".

Maybe You need to change some things in scripts like checking not if anything else is in inventory but exacly if self.z:HasObject("Gun name") and then adding ammo by something like "self.z:ToHDFirearm(ToAHuman(actor)"Gun name").Sharpness" or something like this so sharpenss is directly transfered to item in inventory and not closest items...but this is far to much for my knowledge.

Sorry for my english and bad code examples in last part.
BTW, i recently finnished first ver. of attachment mounting, so now unlimited variations of guns are in our grasp...like gun with 20 different sprites, fire modes, whatever...xD
Workhorse for this is hidden inside mass (yea, i was forced to take under account magazine mass and lack of mag of HeldDevice of AI EMPTY FIX =])...so sharpness is left alone for ammo and fire modes.
Ealier weapon pass sharpness...bullet.number...even fire modes!
Now i try to force script to pass exact magazine type...

Edit:
I have different idea...much less micromenagement and more obvious when quickly buying new troops with those guns...
When gun checks and find out actor have fiteable self.ammobox in his inventory (ofcourse name set in create self of a weapon) ...gun sharpness will be rised by "self.roundsperbox" (also in create self of a weapon already) ...and this spoted ammo box will be delated from even deep inside of actor inventory by something like that:

Code:
   if self.z:IsPlayerControlled() then
      local item = self.z:Inventory();
      if item.PresetName == "self.ammobox" then
         self.sharpness = self.sharpness + self.roundsperbox
         self.z:SwapNextInventory(nil, false);
      else
         self.z:SwapNextInventory(item, false);
      end
   end

Unfortunetly...this do something but not af intended...i hear sound of inventory switching, but ammoboxes are not delated and gun has same sharpness =/

Help Please? ^^'

Original source: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=21477&hilit=Delete+Inventory+Item

Regards =)

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:36 am

I suggest you don't bother bugfixing the current ammo system as it is, because I'm trying to totally reconstruct the system, so ammo is managed per actor via global tables. This will allow the actors to 'pool' their ammo, and hopefully it will be a less complex system, less prone to bugs, and will need less wacky workarounds. While hopefully simple, it involves things I'm not familiar with, and I'm picking them up slowly, when I'm actually working on the mod, which hasn't been too often as of late.

Storing a reference to a particular actor in a table has been troublesome, since IDs aren't constant, but I've got an idea. My idea has the potential to be incompatible with other modded actors, but I don't think it will be with very many.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:27 pm

You could always use another, nonchanging property of an actor to get a reference to it, e.g. lifetime or sharpness or presetname, which you would change earlier.
That said, where's the problem with using IDs? If you're comparing an actor from a table's ID with an actor in MovableMan.Actors ID there'll be no problem. Though I'm probably just not understanding what you're trying to do at all, it's hard to figure out from just that.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:16 am

IDs are non-constant. Order an actor on a rocket on the tutorial, the ship drops him off, and his ID is 85. The ship returns, and the deletion of the three objects (rocket & 2 legs) with older IDs than the actor makes the actor's ID suddenly change to 82. The actor shoots off an arm of an enemy dummy, and his ID decreases to 81. So storing the ID of an actor, for future reference to that actor, can't really work, it seems.

Actor sharpness and names is probably used by lots of scripts in other mods, so I can't go changing those willy nilly.

What I was thinking of doing was using the actors' head sharpness, and assigning it a unique value for each actor in game with pooled ammo, then referencing that. Not many mods use head sharpness for anything. However, it will need a workaround to work prevent ammo disappearing from the decapitateds' inventories.
Now that I think about it, getshitmymos = 0 heads might give me trouble too, although there aren't a whole lot of those.

But Lifetime, that's a good idea. Very few actors have a lifetime beside the default of infinity, and if it were modified to a unique value, one very high so the actor would still survive for as long as anyone would feasibly want them to, over five hours or something, that would make a good impromptu constant identifier, and wouldn't be affected by decapitation or anything.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:00 am

Oh yeah, I was thinking of a situation where you would be constantly updating the table with the actor's ID rather than just doing it on create or whatever.

You're right about sharpness, I try to avoid it too because everyone uses it. Lifetime works perfectly, I used it in my movators. Essentially yeah, if you just set it to a large number like 10 mil you'll never notice it and it's not a pain to remember or differentiate since you can otherwise treat it as a normal number. Age can be useful too for some situations, though it's obviously less reliable since it changes on its own.

You could use the actor's head's sharpness too though, and I might add that it's a very clever solution. You could probably manage it properly if you make another table which could save the actor's head's sharpness (as long as the actor has a head) and do your references from there. The problem there is figuring out where to dump the extra ammo when an actor loses a head, but since I'm not really sure how you're doing things I can't exactly make suggestions.

As for preset name, you can use string.add, string.remove and string.find to put specific characters on the actor's preset name. That may keep it safe in terms of other mods, but I haven't really looked into it much so I'm not sure, specifically I don't know how much you can specify with string.remove.

Hope you sort something out with it though, it's certainly a cool idea :)

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:51 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

You can set the age back to 1, if you ever feel like setting the lifetime to something shorter.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:18 am

Or 0, but it's not really hard to type a one and six zeroes in places. Not to mention it seems kind of excessive to me to use two things that may be referenced by other scripts when you can just use one and save yourself a bit of compatibility worries.
I'm not sure if you're suggesting referencing something by age but if so the problem with that is that you'd have to keep setting that age every frame, which might not be desirable for his script (I don't know). It does however work pretty well if you treat it as a boo, where 0 = false and > 0 = true or whatever, since you don't have to worry so much about specific values.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Hmm...i did a few other improvements and fixes, but in light of this news i will focus my attention on other things.

About lifetime... if idea is to hide ammo count there, so ammo count will be hidden in "large numbers" like 10000000....00...000....000...000 for one round...
...why not add script with timer wich will add 10ms...every 10ms to lifetime?
So actors will live forever, and ammo count will be safe ethernal? ;P

Recently...i used Mass for attachments numbers
thing is magazine mass was as i remember add to weapon mass,
so first script created stable value of self.basemass, then checked in update if (self.mass - self.magazine.mass) < predefined value "self.attachmentsnumber" and if was (by pie menu funcion self.mass = bla bla bla) weapon was changed to completly different with .bmp and all things we wanted, ammo&mag.round.count...even fire modes was transfered if round count was smaller than magazine round count of next gun, sound was played and all that nice things,
...and if self.mass value > self.attachmentsnumber ...then self.mass = self.basemass + (self.roundmass * math.floor(self.sharpness))
System is unperfect, self.attachmentsnumber must always be smaller than weapon mass, also while "changeing attachments" weapon mass is very small for short period of time (time for realistic delay and sound effect)
i didn't use math.floor(self.mass) as this would conflict with oryginal round mass concept
at least i have all other things...maybe i use math.floor(self.sharpness) system from fire modes afterall...when seting attachment it will override fire modes, but transfering them was more of a problem in firefight than nice feature
Sorry for my probably boring post, but maybe some idea will born from this ^^'

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Re: Shadow Echelon [V0.12 B27 "Cerberus Machine Gun"]
Well, it was some time until last post, i learned and discovered so much...I'm on good way of finishing universal script for guns with many additional feachures...one of most important is Pooled Ammo...but there are many other interesting things.

I wonder what Azukki might have created in the mean time...but i am for most certain pleased with my idea and how its work.

I don't know how long it will take to finish what i'm planning...but i'm shure it will be a revolution of some kind...
even so if other talented people decide to "continue" and "expand" =]

So Azzuki...give ma a PM if You hit a wall with your ammo system so i will share what i just maked...returning the favor =)

Regards.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:51 pm

I have not gotten anywhere with pooled ammo, but that was for lack of trying; I haven't messed with that in a long time.

I have put in some significant changes since the last update, but I've somewhat lost track of what's been added and altered.
Lets see here... 12x30 TDI Vector, 6x25 Bizon, 6x25 Burster pistol, 6x40 rifle variant of the Korobov, the combatant is now the Kalashnikov and a bit shorter ranged, and a more powerful single shot 12x120 Hécate II (the original Antimat, the Leader 50, will go back to being semi auto)
I haven't updated, though, since I haven't had the motivation to polish things up to a state I'd want them to be in for a release.
I was hoping to have a nice release within a week of cc1.0's release, but I just haven't kept interest.

Something I was looking into was adding a nice system where the guns are less accurate when moving, less low to the ground, or missing the BGArm. It's a bit ridiculous that doing twenty backflips per second with one arm while flying out of a crashed rocket's rubble doesn't affect your accuracy.
But hopefully I can scrape up some willpower and polish what's already been done before playing with adding that.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next