View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Mehman's Experimental Weaponry[V33: Big Update] 

Mehman's Experimental Weaponry[V33: Big Update]
Hi everyone,

V33 added a lot of new things, mostly new soldier sprites by Grimmcrypt, an new AI and a new weapon(the pistol), this post will soon be updated with proper descriptions and pictures of these new features. The new version can be downloaded here:
Attachment:
File comment: _New soldier sprites by GrimmCrypt
_Greatly improved the soldier's AI, plus it should now work in campaign mode
_Pistol added, with 3 different kinds of ammunition
_Crushed many bugs

MPW-33.rar [992.96 KiB]
Downloaded 12994 times

This is where I'll release my lua experiments, every now and then I ask myself:"Would it be possible to make this in CC", then I try to make it and if it works I release it here, so content will be added as I make it. Edit: now it is also a compilation of my best mods.

For now it contains these things:

The Experimental Assault Rifle:

Check the end of the post to learn how to customize keys.

The EAR-1.4 can shoot three types of ammunition:
To change ammo press the key(default = num0) and reload.
Now you can use the pie menu for this too.

Armor Piercing:
Best used against organic armored targets and lighter units behind cover, still don't expect these bullets to pierce bunker walls. The high velocity and practically non existent drop of these bullets make them good at long range, however the recoil of these is very high, making the rifle almost impossible to control by any but the heaviest units on full auto.
Demonstration video:
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWXZ5JxuBkM

High Explosive:
These low velocity explosive bullets have been designed for short range combat against lightly armored organics, and while devastating against these, they won't do much damage to heavier targets, however their very low recoil makes them perfectly suited to full auto fire. These tend to significantly drop over distance, making harder to accurately aim at long distance, still if you manage to do so the damage potential remains the same as these are explosive.
Demonstration video:
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjX2yiL9Cwo

ElectroMagnetic Pulse:
These heavy bullets emmit a very localized EMP on impact, causing important damage to robots, dummies, ships, doors...etc. They won't do anything to organics however, still as a brain without its life support system is a dead brain they can indirectly damage these. These bullets have a medium recoil.
Demonstration video:
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F0uMohQnjI

The EAR is also equipped with a laser pointer to help you aim, this laser pointer can also be used to designate a target for your artillery. (You must have artillery in order for this to work)
Demonstration video:
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGQSUTfVpSw

An underslung light flamethrower makes this weapon very powerful at close range.
Demonstration video:
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENeujMd-Mv4

Now you can replace the flamethrower with a grenade launcher using the pie menu.
Demonstration video:
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKEUX4Jrq68

Details on the recoil system:

This rifle features realistic recoil based on several factors:

Velocity: A moving actor will counter recoil less efficiently than an actor standing still.
Position: A crouching or proning actor will counter recoil more easily.
Mass: Heavier actors will counter recoil more efficiently.
Health: A wounded actor will have more difficulties controlling the recoil of his rifle.
Ammo type: AP ammo has a powerful recoil, HE has very little recoil and EMP has medium recoil.

Sprited by Kettenkrad.

The Experimental Launcher:

The EL-1.3 is a multi ammo rocket and missile launcher, the available ammos are:
To change ammo press the key(default = num0) and reload.
Now you can use the pie menu for this too.

Incendiary rocket: Useful against groups of light to medium units, can also serve as an area denial weapon.
Demonstration video:
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5feSZBzKeE

EMP rocket: Only effective against robots, dummies, ships, doors...etc, still the effect range is quite impressive, and it ignores walls.
Demonstration video:
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEkfKu2nlB4

HEAT rocket: Useful against armored vehicles and bunkers.
Demonstration video:
not yet available.

Bunker buster missile: Using this mode will make your rocket attack from above with enough speed to penetrate bunkers. Unaccurate at very close range, accurate at long range. To use this aim at the target you want destroyed, then fire, the missile will lock into the aimed position(look at the laser pointer), if you aim towards nothing(aka the sky) the missile will stay inactive, don't step on it if you value your legs.
Demonstration video:
:arrow: http://youtu.be/KRQzGAjYhDg

It also has a laser pointer to help you aim.

Sprited by Kettenkrad.

The Experimental Sniper Rifle:

This heavy rifle is equipped with armor piercing high explosive rounds that penetrate their target before exploding, for a rather messy result. Also its optics automatically adapt to the distance of the point you are aiming at to give you maximum accuracy. It has a laser pointer and features realistic recoil too.

Demonstration video:
http://youtu.be/kUhWh106i-E

The interceptor missile turret:

These missiles can predict the target's trajectory to properly intercept it, once it intercepted a crazy dummy flying at 50m/s over my base. These missiles also avoid terrain collision whenever possible(they won't make a 180 degrees turn however, that would be too unrealistic). You can buy these during the building phase(in actors) or during the fighting phase (in crafts).

Sprited by Kettenkrad.

The Defender laser turret:

Don't be fooled by the size of these tiny things, for they can shoot deadly laser sweeps. Their detection range is quite short however(400px). These are especially efficient in multiplayer since they are very hard to spot if placed inside a bunker, and they don't have a hud.

Sprited by GlowstickNinja.

The laser apocalypse beacon:

Throw these as far as you can and watch, suceptible to quack interference.

The Rocket Artillery:

Long Range Rocket Artillery, this will automatically shoot close targets (dist<750px), and targets you designate with a laser or a beacon up to 3500px. Use the EAR to designate a target, the beacon is used to order a 25 seconds barrage and is in the "bombs" section. To use the beacon throw it, do not keep it in your hand once activated.

Sprited by Kettenkrad.

The Heavy UAV:

This heavy UAV is designed to be used against armored targets such as bunkers and armored vehicles, its 20mm HEAT autocannon is able to pass through almost anything,
and its light bombs allow it to fight infantry with great efficiency, however it is very vulerable to aircraft attacks as its cannon can only be aimed towards the ground.
Its heavy plating and reliable systems allow it to take a fair amount of fire before being seriously damaged.

Sprited by Lizardheim.

The Transport Cannon:

This cannon is used to transport units directly to the enemy's base: here is how it works:
1: You buy the cannon, either from the building phase or the combat phase.
2: Once the cannon is in place, select it, and use the pie menu option called "designate landing coordinates", you will automatically switch to a target designator actor
3: Move it where you want the cannon to shoot
4: Order some units, use the craft called "Cannon delivery"
5: Enjoy

The cannon is protected by laser turrets that will automatically shoot any hostile within range. These turrets can be ordered too.
The cannon shoots a pod that protects your units, when it lands the doors open, a light laser turret is activated and your units can get out. The pods can be used as regular drop pods by using the craft called "Cannon pod" or using "Cannon delivery" when no cannon is available.

Now there is a thing called cannon offensive delivery that allows you to send bombs over long distances.
Here is a demonstration video:
:arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSlV7SHPWmc

Sprited by Kettenkrad.

The Telekinetic Implant:

Gives telekinetic powers to the user:
Telekinetic shockwave, telekinetic grip and telekinetic shield.

The Combat Detector:

This detects nearby actors. To use it throw it. Once used press num3 to deactivate/reactivate. This can detect actors through walls to an extent(the efficiency of this process is inversly proportional to the square of the distance).

Download:
Attachment:
File comment: _New soldier sprites by GrimmCrypt
_Greatly improved the soldier's AI, plus it should now work in campaign mode
_Pistol added, with 3 different kinds of ammunition
_Crushed many bugs

MPW-33.rar [992.96 KiB]
Downloaded 12994 times

Old:

Here is a video of the turrets in action(old sprites):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0KJbFZK ... re=related
and here is a video of the rocket artillery in action(old sprites):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIDTMWSBqjk

Enjoy!

Key customization:

Last edited by Mehman on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 58 times in total.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:26 pm

Post Re: Mehman's Experimental Weaponry
I like the close range self defence feature on the missile turret. I think it would benefit from a more generic military style sprite, a rotating missile pod, and possible some comms / targeting equipment. The laser is nice.

EDIT: Missile trajectory upon launch ruins the rest of it's looks with the sharp turn, as suggested above, a rotating firing system would make this look better.
EDIT 2: I found using the lazer turret's craft as a transport proves very useful when deploying in a firefight.
EDIT 3:
Something like this:

Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:54 pm

I think it's really cool how the rockets avoid terrain. That's a very interesting feature that's also just fun to watch :P the lasers also reminds of something you'd see in some awesome sci-fi tv show or something!

Very cool mod! :D

Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:38 pm

These things are bloodthirsty little buggers. Set some loose in Maginot Mission and it just turned the whole mission into a meatgrinder. (plasticgrinder? dummygrinder oh whatevs)

Excellent work, my friend. Looking forward to more experimental tech, as that's the best type.

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Arrrh I get an error !

And I get this: Image
Clic to maximise.
Thanks !

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:53 pm

The rockets are very effective. The lasers are hilarious to watch when something steps in their range but I get a significant drop in framerate while they fire.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:22 am

Kettenkrad wrote:
I like the close range self defence feature on the missile turret. I think it would benefit from a more generic military style sprite, a rotating missile pod, and possible some comms / targeting equipment. The laser is nice.

EDIT: Missile trajectory upon launch ruins the rest of it's looks with the sharp turn, as suggested above, a rotating firing system would make this look better.
EDIT 2: I found using the lazer turret's craft as a transport proves very useful when deploying in a firefight.
EDIT 3:
Something like this:

I'll try to do something like that, GlowstickNinja already made the sprites, now I have to adapt the code.

Pantera1993 wrote:
I think it's really cool how the rockets avoid terrain. That's a very interesting feature that's also just fun to watch :P the lasers also reminds of something you'd see in some awesome sci-fi tv show or something!

Very cool mod! :D

Thanks.

RHONON wrote:
These things are bloodthirsty little buggers. Set some loose in Maginot Mission and it just turned the whole mission into a meatgrinder. (plasticgrinder? dummygrinder oh whatevs)

Excellent work, my friend. Looking forward to more experimental tech, as that's the best type.

Glad you like it, thanks.

CyberFoxar wrote:
Arrrh I get an error !

And I get this: [image]
Clic to maximise.
Thanks !

I reuploaded it with this error corrected, try to redownload it and reinstall it.

purple100 wrote:
The rockets are very effective. The lasers are hilarious to watch when something steps in their range but I get a significant drop in framerate while they fire.

I already used every trick I know of to reduce lag:
_short range
_offset between the glows
_alternating glow phases
_optimized code

But creating hundreads of glows every 1/60 second will always lag unless you find a way to use your brain as a CPU, sorry.

purple100 wrote:
THERE'S A SPOON IN MY EAR!!!

Really? Man I don't envy you.

Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:20 am

Post Re: Mehman's Experimental Weaponry[laser apocalypse added]
Very Nice, Reminds me of Dawn of War.

Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:58 am

Post Re: Mehman's Experimental Weaponry[laser apocalypse added]
I just changed the way the missile turret works and its sprites, there's also a commented out crappy attempt at making a radar if you're interested. It works fine but it's just useless. I changed the video too.

Edit:
Now the turret won't be able to target enemies if it has a wall in front of it, however covered enemies at a distance > to 100px can be targeted;

Edit2: and beware of the quack interference with the apocalypse laser, really nasty stuff;

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:43 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: Mehman's Experimental Weaponry[remade the Missile Turret]
Mehman, you are crazy.

But you can do crazy stuff polished, so yeah, this is good stuff. Very good stuff.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:33 am

Location: Hopefully in front of a gaming platform of some kind
I love this mod. I have a soft-spot in my heart for missile barrages. Do you think you could make a grown-up version of your laser with increased range? Or maybe a "target painter" where the laser does no damage, but when ever it fires the missile actors shoot at the spot?

EDIT: Could you please revert back to the older missile launcher design? The new design is a step backward IMO. Either only a few missiles fire, or they shoot into the launcher next to it because they no longer fire straight up and activate.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:06 am

10050 wrote:
EDIT: Could you please revert back to the older missile launcher design? The new design is a step backward IMO. Either only a few missiles fire, or they shoot into the launcher next to it because they no longer fire straight up and activate.

Yes I realize that, I'll revert it back in the next update, also I'm currently working on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NWRb-wI3Gc
expect an update within a day or two.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:02 pm

What an incredibly useful and well-made stuff you have in here. :shock:

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:38 pm

Location: Hopefully in front of a gaming platform of some kind
Mehman wrote:

Yes I realize that, I'll revert it back in the next update, also I'm currently working on this:

YES. Awesome work, thanks.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:14 pm

Mehman wrote:
10050 wrote:

Oh my god. That reminds me of the artillery from Ground Control II. Do you have sprites yet? I would looove to try and make some GCII sprites. That was my favourite ever RTS when I was a kid, and the artillery in that is probably my favourite ever artillery in any game ever! [/childhood memories]

Actually, here: I made a video to show you.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next