View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Aperture Science Portal Device v3.2 (update2) 

Aperture Science Portal Device v3.2 (update2)
Oh I think you know what this is:
ImageImageImage
The portal alignment against terrain has been much improved since previous versions (it's about as perfect as it can be now, given the irregularity of the terrain, plus it's pretty much impossible to get stuck in the terrain near the portals now as it spits you out a little away from the portal surface) and the velocity redirection is much better, plus with the glow effect on the portals they are much easier to use and tell which direction they are facing (though IF you enter the back face of a portal you WILL come out of the back face of the other portal).

MULTIPLE PORTAL GUNS, yeah!
Now you can have some kind of weird portal-off with friends or do some other cool stuff like this:

Use:
Portals functions pretty much as in the game Portal, fire portals onto surfaces, if a new portal is shot the old one of the same colour is removed.
Press 'r' while holding a portal gun to remove that portal gun's portals.
Press 'z' while holding a portal gun to change the portal gun's mode.
In the secondary/portal alteration mode hold fire to produce a zero point energy field which can pick up and move portals. (in this mode glowy particles spawn at the "muzzle" of the device)
In the secondary mode press 'x' and 'c' to rotate a portal if it is within the range of the energy field.

I should make the secondary mode be able to pick up objects but... (laziness)

Disclaimers/Advice:
I should probably mention that only human players can use the portal guns (because the AI can't be trusted! - try to use it as a weapon)

Try to not break your portal device. When a portal device breaks it can mess up some existing portals that belong to another portal device, Lua lists are annoying and I have no idea what the problem is there. :/ (with just one portal device you're fine, the actual devices take care of all their own stuff properly; the problem is only with another existing portal device -only one other I believe- and even then only with existing portals)

Lag? You can increase the value of "effect_delay" in "Portal Script.lua" to make less glowy particles spawn around the portals. A value of 200 will make it so only one particle is active for each portal (I think the bottom gif may be set to this?). A value above 200 can be used to make particles spawn infrequently. Other than this there isn't much that can be done to alleviate lag without harming the performance of the portals that I can think of.

Alternately you can decrease the delay mentioned above to make more particles spawn from the portals (can be laggy but looks nice, the portals in the top gif is set to 50 or something? false advertising really as I increased it a lot for better performance).

Attachments:
File comment: +128+84
PortalGun.rte.rar [304.29 KiB]
Downloaded 1183 times

Last edited by robolee on Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:05 am

Post Re: Aperture Science Portal Device v1
:shock: OH MY GOD! THANK YOU! :D I had this idea a while ago, but I don't know how mod.
Downloading immediately!

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:19 am

Cool beans mang. Works really well. I like how you induced a rotation devise for it. The portals get stuck inside walls and stuff every once and a while.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:25 am

Grah. And here I was working on my own little project...

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:41 am

This looks really cool! If you shoot through it, do the bullets go in one end and out the other? If so, you've got my download!

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:52 am

Very nifty indeed! I like how bullets go through it. Now, I can sneak a guy into the enemy base, plant a portal on the ceiling (so the AI won't get through), and just funnel my men in! Very nice job indeed.

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:39 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Aperture Science Portal Device v3.1 (update)
Updated. Now multiple portal guns are fully supported and not too buggy, also cleaned the code up a little and changed some stuff around which should make it less buggy (though unfortunately now on occasion a "tried to add existing MO" error will occur, yay bug tug o' war!).

And about the confusing v1->v3.1, the last version should really have been v3 I honestly don't know why I put v1. This was v2: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=16115 and this was v1: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=15308

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:37 pm

Nonsequitorian wrote:
PORTAL GUN OFF, CAVE VS ROBO.
GOOOOOO

I do believe you mean Cave 'Johnson' Cricket vs Robo 'GLaDOS' Lee.
...my god, it fits!

Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I downloaded this mod, it looked great but it doesn't work
Any help?

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:51 am

I'll be honest I didn't test the latest version too much and I've been busy, however it should work, with multiple portal guns it may not be as reliable though. (I'm trying to sort out the issues, trying to do things with different methods to find which is the most reliable...)

Can you be a bit more specific? It crashes the game when all the rte modules are loaded(*1)? The gun does nothing(*2)? The potals don't portal? And what circumstances were you in. All the bugs that I know of only happen on rare occasion but don't break anything.

If anyone else is having any problems please say something.

*(1) In this case it isn't my fault, perhaps an incomplete or corrupt download.
*(2) If the gun doesn't shoot any projectile then something really weird is going on, the only thing that comes to mind is that it won't work on builds less than B25 (previously scripts on guns did not work).

Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:27 pm

i like it u got my DL because the bullets can pass through very good but i think we dont need the portal mover

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Post Re: Aperture Science Portal Device v3.2 (update2)
UPDATE: okay now everything works properly without any bugs (hopefully). Multiple portal pairs working better than before with no error messages. Also got rid of the portal moving gun and instead added the functionality to the portal gun itself and improved it a bit too (now it's impossible for you to grab more than one portal at a time so you can fix overlapping portals and it keeps track of the last portal you grabbed and prefers that to searching for a new portal).

EDIT: Did a quick fix, now mode two doesn't use ammo or produce sounds (based on my experience at least which I hope is the same as everybody else), though nobody downloaded it so I didn't put it up to update 3. Though really I wish I could play a sound file from Lua but it doesn't work. :/

Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:28 pm

now your thinking with portals!
nice work, you outdid yourself :D
also,love how it works on B26 :shock:

Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:18 pm

Updated the first post - the download is still the same!

Now includes the B26 flag as it does indeed work on build 26.
Added a few disclaimers/tips. (probably should have mentioned the human only one a while ago tbh)
With proper testing I have found that there's still a problem with destroying portal guns -noted in the disclaimers... I was certain I had removed that problem, perhaps it came back with build 26? Perhaps I just missed it when I uploaded it?

I would appreciate if someone skilled with the inner workings of Lua would sort out the list problem or circumvent the need for a list.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:03 pm

I. Love. This. Mod.
Could you try your hand at a Portal(tm) turret and Chell actor?

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next