View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 WH40K: ULTRAMARINES/TAU/NECRONS/IMPERIAL GUARD/ORKS 

Post Re: WH40K: MARINES/TAU/NECRONS
Update: WH40K Combined Release 1. Now available as a single download! Fixes a lot of the bugs from the first pack, and introduces a big change here and there.

-Refinements to the core Tau effects/mechanics
-Refinements to the core Necron effects/mechanics

-Changes to core Space Marine and core Terminator structures
-Changes Space Marine Drop Pod functionality
-Added Ultramarines Terminator, Rhino, and Razorback

-Added Tau Devilfish
-Added Necron Ghost Ark

-No more inter-unit collisions: Only vehicles have the ability to run other units over.

-And many little changes here and there!

This release fills out the missing transports for the Tau and Necron factions.
The operation of these vehicles is particular: They have no extra buttons mappings, but include a second part that has a drop crate (or, in the case of the Necron Ark, a Gauss Broadside controller). These secondary functions must be manually controlled. Take a while to figure this out.

I decided to remove infantry-to-infantry collisions to make squad based combat more convenient. I know this is a major part of the CC engine, but I feel the focus in Warhammer is the combat and the squad movement. As such, here's my justification for doing this:
-backtrack through a squad of your own soldiers to reload or to survive
-alternatively, advance past wounded friends to protect or to engage the enemy
-a hard landing in a combat zone is only a harmful to you (and then only based on Terrain checks), not to everyone around you.
-when someone in the front of a combat line absorbs all of a high-force impact, they will not be a (great) danger to everyone behind them.
-greatly reduces a tightly packed squad's chance of disarming and maiming itself en-route to combat

The next release will be far from now, and will likely involve only small additions. Play on, and enjoy!

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:51 am

The New Terminator Scale is somthing to be appoved on.

I'll try the new version soon. Although, Looking at the devlopment blog, Infantry clipping on the same team is going to be cut out, so your attempts according to the update log are a nice idea, a lot of combat happens in tunnles, where you can't jump over things.

Edit, Okay, Tried it, Still a lot of problems from last time.

Necron Lord, Although now Medium range, Is Still Spammy and Nom noms the Land, Although the Monolith is sorta like that, but, keeps the feel of a Blast weapon with that short sharp burst.

The rest of the Necron weapons Kinda follow the same ruleing, although, they are more accurate than last time and you can actually hit somthing with them.

Space Marines Are Perfect in Scale now, Just utterly Perfect, But, the weapons still are Fast, Far Far too fast, and the Rhino and the razorback keep getting stuck because cortex command isn't built for tanks. (might as well convert the Space marines over the Angry marines and use the Rhino as a Drop pod)

Tau Still have No tracers, At all. and the Suits keep wobbling around like jelly when they try and fly.

I'm Still standing with the view of Take the Good work that you have done, and Join the collab. Because, I don't want to see talent like this go to waste.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:11 pm

Well Mr. Von Barron (and many others who are nitpicky as well), you'll be glad to hear that for the next release:

-Reworking a lot of the higher tier Necron weapons. The Monolith and many of the existing Gauss weapons will probably sort of be the same, but the Lord (and new units that are in-progress) will have new weapon mechanics
-Space Marine weapons have already been slowed down for the next release - it's just an issue of balancing out how slow they will be, and how hard they will hit. A lot of this actually depends on how much of a powerup the Markerlights for the Tau end up being.
-The Tau Battlesuit is getting a reworked old flight control system from build 23-25 - it's a step backwards in terms of engine usage, but it'll provide the precision that the fragile Battlesuits requires.
-Still reworking the Space Marines tank codes! With all the terrain checks going on, getting a balance between playability and a reasonable amount of computer resource consumption is tricky, especially when someone may be fielding more than one of these hulks. Still, be patient with them - they will never be as fast as other units, so give them time to climb that hill.

STAY FROSTY AND TUNED

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:53 pm

Personally, my man, I think this is an excellent mod. As a 40k fan (Not saying you aren't, because you obviously are to put as much effort into this as you have), I apologize for the rest of the community being nitpicky moanbuckets :P .

DudeAbides wrote:
The various stats of Warhammer characters and weapons are represented differently throughout it's many iterations. There doesn't seem to be a set way that any of it is represented; it is all done to effect.

-et cetera-

...whether or not any of these examples could be considered artistic license is besides the point, because what I'm saying is that these things are all different based on what they needed the Bolter to do in that particular fiction/product/image.

Couldn't have said it better.

Terminators in fluff - five of them can take on an entire Tyranid Hiveship from within, or a Genestealer hive, all by themselves.
Terminators in tabletop - five of them last less than half a second in a round of combat with 16 Genestealers.
Terminators in Dawn of War 2 - Who needs tanks?
Your Terminators - Tough, but not indestructible. In other words - balanced with the rest of the game. This is a good thing, by the way. I don't want them to be fluff-accurate, because then they'd have to cost 10,000oz at least and be completely indestructible to vanilla (and most mod) weapons, only damageable by things from your own pack (ie, 40k stuff). That isn't fun, at all. Hell - even your basic Space Marine would be a one-man unstoppable death machine, if you based it on fluff.

Besides, 40k is a high-power setting. It's not as downright silly as DBZ because everything is generally balanced with everything else, so it evens out. But introducing a fluff-accurate modded Space Marine in say, Fallout 3? Instant win. But no, the Space Marine mod (which exists) doesn't make it accurate, but it preserves the same idea - tough, independent, badass - without going overkill and making absolutely everything obsolete to the point of stupidity. Which is exactly what these people are asking you to do. No offense, guys, but stop being so silly about it. >.>

While the Necron gauss effects aren't exactly the magical super-lightning they're described to be in fluff, I like them. They're unique and have a nice visual style (plus, the carnage they inflict is extremely Necron-y). However, I really like the Wraith! Keep it! The new Necron fluff is bizarre and silly, anyway. If you're gonna add Flayed Ones, I say you add them as a separate unit, even if it is a tad redundant.

DudeAbides wrote:
Try and have fun!

Something many 40k fans would do well to bear in mind.

TL;DR - Ignore the fluff and the cries to make it more accurate. It's your mod; do as you will. Not that you need me to tell you that, but I'd like to reassure you that not everyone who is following this mod is just going to complain and moan about it.

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:28 pm

people are Nitpicky moanbuckets as you say for a reason.

i think the biggest example of this is the case of matt ward, Whom still Butching the warhammer lore and fluff. if it wasn't for us "moanbuckets" i believe matt ward heresy would go unheard off.

Regardless, try and have fun, can also apply to people such as myself who adore lore/fluff. while i understand the limitation of trying to merge warhammer to a 2D game like cortex command, i do not expect excuses related to at the very least sprites. as my first post said previously was only about the image of Termiators being too small for their status, while i understand again the limit of size due to tunnels and stuff. Termiators are never one for "enclosed space" saved for the space hulk, which is giant in comparasion to termies.

and the point you make about the different outlooks on warhammer 40k, i perfer the fluff the most. generally because it isn't meant to be balance it meant to be correct and tell a story, the tabletop game is meant to be fun and balance, The games are just aimed for fun and being "good" rather than anything correct to the space marine lore.

Warhammer fans i feel can be the most pickest and nitpicking when it comes to mods but it's all within good reason.

Mostly because warhammer fluff is the most detailed and amazing peices of information, lore and general awesomeness. (star wars come a very close second but thanks to lucas ♥♥♥♥ ♥♥♥♥ up i rather avoid star wars lately)
in short, nitpickers exist cause we love the game and we wish and will suggest what we feel would be best for the mod.
Of course as you rightly mentioned, it's the modder whom get to pick who he wishes to listen too.
and as he mentioned this is more of a balance and fun mod to be shoved with vanilla forces and other mods as well.

TL:DR.

Do what you think it's best, But bear in mind people will not always agree with you and mods are generally viewed for the community (at least i always see a mod is for the community not for the maker, else it will be private) and also criticism and suggestions isn't moaning.

and for something worth while for the mod itself,

With your permisson, i could sprite some Eldar guns and a Guardian for you to add into the pack (once i fixed my pc)

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:24 am

Rage at Matt Ward is an entirely different subject, because he's a terrible writer and is slowly drowning the 40kverse in Soritas blood and talking Necrons. Besides, moaning about hasn't changed a thing, has it? No. Our Spiritual Liege continues to spew terrible, terrible, terrible fluff. He's probably just amused by the fandom rage.

Sorry, if I'm a bit jaded. But y'know, I'm just kind of sick of everything having to be exactly right. I'm a fan of many things, and the 40k fandom stands out for the sheer amount of rage and obsessiveness it generates over canon accuracy. At least Trekkies do it in a calm and reasonable manner, and LoTR fans just look at you funny if you get something wrong (and/or lecture you for hours), but again, always calm. It's strange, but it kinda amuses me, sometimes.

Neckbeards wrote:
"Love Can Bloom SUCKS! IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN REAGEGARWGR"
"OMG! Your art isn't 100% canon-accurate! I hate you! Die in a fire!"
"THE PLURAL OF CARNIFEX IS CARNIFEXEN!!!!!!"
"TYRANIDS ONLY HAVE SIX LIMBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*"

All of these are real things I have seen.

And then these people go write rapefics and other assorted retarded stuff.

* An actual argument on The Tyranid Hive. 'Nids have six limbs generally, right? Not that there's any magical special rule that says they MUST; they just do. So when a guy asks if he should put wings on his Shrikes' backs or replace their arms... Well, on their backs would mean they have eight limbs; two pairs of arms, two legs, and two wings (arguably three pairs of arms and two legs, but I digress). This topic erupted in a ragefest of derp, because srsly, Tyranids only evur have six limbs!!! Ugh.

EDIT: I'd very much support you making an Eldar mod, LordVK. Obviously I have no say what Dude does, but... >.> Also, the Necron Lord needs to get the absolutely ridiculous "Tachyon Arrow" as a weapon option. Make it cost a bahjillion gold, whatever. It doesn't even need to have a fancy sprite, since it's wrist-mounted.

*Grumbles something about Str 10 AP1 ∞" range*

Last edited by Uke Fox on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Naturally, you would ignore the idiots.

each fandom has there own idiots sadly.

more so the 40k Fandom however is GREATLY spilt.

There people like me who mainly enjoy warhammer for it's great story, lore etc etc. (and the art) or people who enjoy the games (dawn of war etc) or people who just really like the tabletop, Which means the 40k community is generally spilt between certian idiots of each side.i think the game lovers are the worse out of the three sides in 40k.

either way, you just have to split the idiots from post that makes sense. most of the time, the post that do make Sense are the ones that understand the limitations and most likely just rather wish things look simliar (like in my first post again, where i rather wish the Termies to be larger than normal space marines)

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Actually, I'd say the game-only fans are the least troublesome, simply because they know and care the least. Those whose whole 40k experience is derived from DoW and Space Marine don't give a damn if a Space Marine's armour isn't represented down to the absolute last minute detail in the next release. The amount of rage generated over the Blood Ravens' "healthy borrowing" of wargear is downright silly sometimes, and it doesn't come from casual gamers, it comes from the lore/tabletop diehards. They're the problem. The ones who record themselves ranting for just over half an hour in response to a silly 40k-related comment on a Minecraft server (this actually happened T_T).

Yes, every fandom has its issues, I said that before! It's just that the 40k fandom is the most... rage-filled. I blame Khorne, and puppies.

Also; Try mentioning "Dawn of War" in a Games Workshop. Watch the looks of horror and fear you get. It's extremely entertaining.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:54 pm

i would say it varies from country to country, and area to area, where i'm in. the warhammer fans who basicly act like " oh i played dawn of war and i'm a massive fan to the max of the series " and pretty much try and push fact down other fans throats who are tabletop fans.

one example was one person tried to shove down the fact that bolter are automatic machine guns.. because that how they're done in Dawn of war.

But due to reading the books, codex's and generally researching about games and lores, i end up knowing for a fact that a bolter is infact a semi automatic gun that shoot bolts which explode on impact.

and yea, warhammer does have one of the biggest fandoms. to the point i accidently shouted heresy at my friend (as a joke) on a bus and somewhere at the back someone shouted Purge the heretic.

the games workshop near me (in town) are quite friendly and alright people when mentioned dawn of war. a few give their views on the lore of it but they understand it's a game and thus will be different.

but to be honest there is a few lines that ment to be drawn in certian things.

one example is soulstorm. the lost of a 1,000 baneblades? that just as stupid as making say a sonic game and instead of saving his friends and stuff, giving him a shotgun and blowing his own brains out.

Regardless, it most likely change on a area basis it also change by the game itself as well, as clearly some warhammer games are purely stupid on all levels.

EDIT: oh i forgot to mention, but i believe warhammer fans only rage among itselfs, i.e doesn't do what LoL, DoTA or HoN fans do and flame and troll everyone and everything that's exactly like it.

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:33 pm

I was talking about the online community, at least. There isn't much of a 40k community where I live; there's the one store in Belfast, but I only know three players, friends of mine who started the game with me.

However, not long after the Grey Knights were released, I witnessed a guy in the GW store painting a greenstuff banana for his Jokaero. He called them his 'silly space monkeys'. I was the only person who laughed. >.>

As for the 1,000 Baneblades... eh. It's stupid, but it's 40k. Big ridiculous figures get thrown about for dramatic effect all the time, with little to no consideration as to what they actually mean. Tens of billions of people working admin for the Imperium, for example.

"And the Daemon Prince fell over, and forty two trillion babies died!"

1,000 massive supertanks getting magically 'lost' is nothing compared to some of the sheer stupidity that's canon. Some lines are meant to be drawn, but not in 40k, especially not now, with Matt Ward and all. Personally, the autoness of Bolters isn't really that much of a big deal. They're Rapid Fire either way. >.>

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Uke Fox wrote:
I was talking about the online community, at least.

This also happens to represent the worst of the fans, the more sane types like to sit back and watch the fireworks.

On a side not I've always assumed bolters to be capable of semi-auto and full-auto firing.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:12 am

I know it does, but the same applies to every online fandom, and I'm comparing it to those!

Also, I should stop spamming this thread. >.>

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:58 pm

that's a common mistake that people think with the bolters, i dunno if they changed the fluff about them now, But in Horus heresy and a number of other sources bolters are semi auto guns, space marines just have godly Trigger discipline to be able to fire quite fast giving the illusion of auto fire, but almost all the time they will only burst fire (3-5 times based on the horus heresy books) per target, and due to the implants they have each marine carries on shooting at each target rather than wait for one target to fall then aim at another target.

Also i feel i should mention that Warhammer Fandom isn't as worse as LoL,HoN or DoTA fans. that said as i previously said the warhammer fans are very split into a few groups, the game lovers, the Tabletop lovers and the Novel lovers.. and very few rare cases of people who love all three.

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Like any modern firearm, I'd expect most standard (ie non-pistol/non-heavy/non-storm, etc.) bolters have fire-mode selectors, thus being capable of semi, burst or fully automatic fire... the Imperium doesn't really have any excuse for not having it by now. Also, given the sheer number of weapon designs out there, it's a sure bet that at least some of the designs manufactured - even if they are not used by the Astartes - possess fully-automatic fire capabilities. Hell, I could name one for you; the Locke pattern in the Rogue Trader RPG.

But now, back on topic!

I mentioned this in PM before, but the work done on expanding and improving the Tau and Necron factions is outstanding. Keep at it. :)

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:55 pm
Profile YIM

Combined Release 1.5 Update:
New units, weapon updates, and always more Dakka.

Added Tau Rail Rifle (purchase and standard equip on Pathfinder leader)
Removed dependency on Mobility.rte
Added Tau Stealth Battlesuit
Changed Crisis Battlesuit flight system
Fixed Pulse Carbine scatter

Added Combat Shield (purchase and standard equip on Assault Marine)
Revamped Space Marine Flamethrower - now a real morale killer
Reworked Space Marine Bolter weapons' ROF
Changed Space Marine Plasma weapons
Changed Space Marine tank terrain logic

Updated Necron sprites

Added basic Orks, courtesy of Ork-Gothic

Enjoy!

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next