View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 RAZOR PSC B30 

Post Re: RAZOR PSC 0.9
Quote:
I seldom use the standard soldier due to there being better options for cost in the elite and the heavy

Perhaps I ought to make him cheaper, especially what with the helmet vulnerability. What price point would make these guys 'feasible' for you/would make you employ more of them?

Quote:
It's so hard to traverse uneven landscapes and bases without jetpacks :/. Can you make more expensive versions of the soldiers that have jetpacks?

Yes it is and I will totally think about it, but if it happens it's probably going to be (it's got to be) more expensive and cumbersome than you'll want it to be.
That being said, jumping is awesome once you figure out how to lean into it properly! Also I'm not sure how the climbing is in CC stock characters recently, but the RAZOR guys are strong climbers.

herp burp

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:45 am

DudeAbides wrote:
Update: This is 1.0 compatible yo.

Crash on launch for me. I'm running OSX 1.0

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:14 am

200oz~ Would be acceptable I feel, he's not terribly effective compared to the rest of the mod's units. His big disadvantage is in his weapon choice, the stock rifle he comes with isn't
the best weapon for any job really, it has the smallest magazine of all the automatics which makes it a poor choice for CQB and it also looses quite a bit of accuracy over range.
He excels at medium range I feel, and anything massed up will tend to work out.

Meatshields are an important part of any balanced force after all! Big guns in the back and cheaper guys in front to absorb the hits for the big hitters!

Also, there's a distinct lack of a sniper preset, and ordering the cheapest with a sniper is a tad tedious.. Though I may be asking a bit much.

Though, I haven't gotten the chance to play RAZOR in campaign lately so I may edit the post accordingly in a bit.

Edit: Yep, the Spec ops does the standard soldier's job better in almost every aspect, better accuracy with minimal cost increase and better survivability in a lot of cases, the only scenario I use him in is when I need a digger for the initial attack on a site..

Edit2: *Cough* I forgot about the shield drone.. My point stands though, he's pretty useless compared to the spec ops and the heavy ops when it comes to making a balanced unit composition.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Quote:
200oz~ Would be acceptable I feel

Quote:
Spec ops does the standard soldier's job better in almost every aspect

Quote:
*Cough* I forgot about the shield drone

So given the efficacy of the other units and how completely un-specialized the main trooper is, how's 185 sound to you?

Quote:
I'm running OSX 1.0

I have no mac to test - really I have no idea what's breaking. There's probably a slash that needs to be a backslash somewhere - can anyone who runs CC on mac maybe locate this for the rest of the Mac players out there?

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:43 pm

That sounds reasonable. The standard soldier could be used as a crisis unit then, like if you ran out of Dosh to order more units with. Though even then his role is a bit of a niche in terms of effectiveness. Personally I think it'd be best to replace him with a sniper, as I said it's a tad annoying to have all the other guns on their respective units and the sniper inconveniently left out.

But I guess lowering the cost to 185 and nabbing him a sniper counts as well.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:02 pm

DudeAbides wrote:
I have no mac to test - really I have no idea what's breaking. There's probably a slash that needs to be a backslash somewhere - can anyone who runs CC on mac maybe locate this for the rest of the Mac players out there?

It's a bit strange. It appears to be the file RAZOR.rte/Sounds/MachineSounds/Gachuck.wav that's exploding. If I change RAZOR.rte/Actors/RAZORTroop.ini line 39 to any other sound file, it's fine. It just explodes horribly on that particular sound file. Interestingly enough, when I try to open Gachuck.wav in Adobe Soundbooth, it refuses as well stating that the file is corrupt.

UPDATE: Figured it out. Gachuck.wav is using a MS ADPCM, which is not supported by whatever library Cortex is using since it's a MS codec, while the rest of the wav files are using PCM.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:06 am

RAZOR doesn't show up in the campaign tech list :???: .

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:11 am

singlespace wrote:
DudeAbides wrote:

It's a bit strange. It appears to be the file RAZOR.rte/Sounds/MachineSounds/Gachuck.wav that's exploding. If I change RAZOR.rte/Actors/RAZORTroop.ini line 39 to any other sound file, it's fine. It just explodes horribly on that particular sound file. Interestingly enough, when I try to open Gachuck.wav in Adobe Soundbooth, it refuses as well stating that the file is corrupt.

UPDATE: Figured it out. Gachuck.wav is using a MS ADPCM, which is not supported by whatever library Cortex is using since it's a MS codec, while the rest of the wav files are using PCM.

Hes right this worked for me. I just duplicated one of the other machine noises and replaced and renamed it Gachuck.wav, runs fine now.

Any one like me with zero knowledge with editing .ini might find it helpful to know you can just Duplicate whirr.wav inside RAZOR.rte/sounds/MachineSounds Delete the original corrupt Gachuck.wav and rename your duplicate "whirr.wav" Gachuck.wav

Then it runs albeit missing a sound but meh. Awesome mod dude keep it up. I love this stuff, its like getting free toys when you were a kid. :)

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:02 pm

I'm not particularly good at installing mods to CC, but I did the UNSC one and it worked fine. This one when I install it, there's no separate RAZOR faction on the campaign choice. I'm assuming it's linked to the lua in the "factions" folder in the download itself. That said, I don't know exactly what to do with it. Where would I put that file?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:08 pm

You have to add the word Tech after the name in the index.ini located in the Razor.rte

It should read

ModuleName = RAZOR Tech

at the top. Hope that helps.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:51 pm

It did. But the AI in campaign mode refused to use any of the units and presented an army of undead and half-baked clones for me to slaughter. Kind of a let-down.

Still not sure what to do with the lua in the factions folder.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 pm

The Razor.lua in the Factions folder is not for the official metagame campaign, but rather a factions file for one of weegee's scenes.
To get a faction to appear in the official metagame, the mod author (or you) need to make a Loadouts.ini in the mod's root directory, add an include line in that mod's Index.ini
See here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31031 for more details, and or just look at the existing vanilla factions Loadouts.ini files

Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:28 am

Crash to desktop on reloading the locking missiles.

EDIT: Sorry, this was meant for a different mod.

Last edited by singlespace on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:17 am

Tested out the RAZOR faction. Results were underwhelming. The game's AI graciously provided half a dozen loadouts of skeletons and fat zombies for me with their clunky and inferior weaponry. Had to manually pick out the soldiers, which cost more time and men while I scrambled to get my stuff together for an organized attack. Lost immediately on the two battles I participated in on campaign.

Couldn't even infiltrate the Dummy bunker in Dummy Assault. Units are very cumbersome, audibly annoying (they spammed "roger"-esque replies when sent to "hunt brain" mode for whatever reason, possibly when a target flickered in and out of their line of sight), and their standard weapons are generally inferior to that of other factions. The lack of jetpacks immediately left three men stranded down in the bottom of the base itself under the bridge and any dummies they encountered were generally able to mercilessly slaughter them unless given a very superior firing position or they shot the weapon out of their hands. Invisible bullets made it very hard to aim down long corridors I already knew enemies were down and got killed then too. I've never lost while actively trying to win on Dummy Assault while using any other faction's soldiers and equipment. Usually I can have one guy run in while systematically wiping everything out with one guy guarding with a maximum of one, maybe two casualties. Here I lost almost a dozen guys and gave up.

News of a jetpack is good, but planning on making them even more difficult to use is extremely discouraging. I think things in the mod are balanced a little too unevenly and perhaps even nerfed down to the point of inferiority. If I find myself getting outgunned by the AI's Dummies, something's not right.

I can see a lot of effort went into making this mod, and it is very in-depth and authentic-looking, if not slightly impractical. Hoping I'm just doing everything wrong here.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:11 am

So I haven't made a metagame file that people seem to want. Sorry that I haven't got around to it - believe it or not, that's a feature pretty new to CC, and my focus has primarily been on the gameplay/functionality of the soldiers itself and none of the loadout stuff. Come 1.0 there should be one for your convenience.

I have noticed the weird sound bugs (RogerRogerRogerRoger). Let me assure you that I have no idea what is going wrong and that nothing will be done to fix this. Seriously though, this is a problem new to the release of 1.0 and I have zero ideas about what could be causing it. If some helpful person would like to chip in with strange arcane knowledges then by all means, let me know what the deal is.

As for the complaints about how hard RAZOR is to use - sorry man, it just may not be for you. In the context of the game it ought not be that hard to kill a dummy, but the idea here is that it ought to be difficult to fight fearless robots with jetpacks and laser guns. If you want to also fly around and fire missiles, you are looking into the wrong thing.

Maybe when I release the metagame you'll give them a chance as disposable enemies.

Chumble

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next