View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 RAZOR PSC B30 

Post Re: RAZOR PSC B30
B30 1.02

Unit updates
- Jetpacks nerfed into reasonable ranges. Will no longer catapult AI units past their targeted points, no more unlimited flying, heavy weapons encumbrance.

Weapon changes
-Machine Gun Grenade Launcher for heavy assault capability. Carpet bomb your foe into submission with modern technology!
-MAW changed into 'Maxim Assault Weapon' - now more heavy weapony in several ways.
-RFS now has improved assault capability.

Droppod and ship updates
-More dynamic, streamlined droppod. Price slashed since shield units were stripped out for B30.
-Windblade Gunship - A light dropship with two independently targeting RTTLX hardpoints.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/abilb ... ZOR102.rar

Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:10 pm

Great update, the faction now feels fully fleshed out and is a lot of fun, excellent job!
The gmg is sweet, as expected. Laying down fire with a few gmg equipped troops is highly satisfying. More impressively, the chaingun plays really nicely. Hearing it slowly ramp up in fire speed until it gets to full speed and completely floods the enemy with bullets is absolutely spectacular, I think this is my favourite cc chaingun in a long time, possibly ever (though there've been many so I can't say that for sure).

On to the downsides:
The jump packs may still be a bit strong compared to base game. A basic troop with 3 basic guns or a heavy troop with 2 chainguns can fly forever with fairly slow burst jumping. I think the power is right, but it could probably use a slightly longer reload time (if that's doable, I have no idea), so it wouldn't be reusable until most of the momentum from the previous jet has been lost to gravity.

The droppod still has a nasty habit of depositing my guys in the ground. I don't know why it expels them with such high downwards velocity, but it's pretty annoying since they either get stuck there or take some damage jetting out.

The dropship is kind of a mess. Its guns don't always fire (they give me lua errors sometimes too, apparently you're trying to call a global ToTurret function that doesn't exist) and when they do they probably have more range than is fair (they're shooting with pretty good accuracy at sniper ranges) but way worse than that, it's pretty much uncontrollable. At first I thought there were a bunch of different issues, but really it seems to be that the ai is overriding player input, so if I tell it to takeoff and try to keep it from leaving, it ignores me. Likewise, telling it to stay at a certain position will have it continuosly trying to move back to that position even when I'm moving it away from that. Even worse, it seems impossible to pick up anything with it. The ai (I guess) is keeping it from going low enough to pick stuff up easily, and even when I get in range to pick something up it doesn't actually do anything, the actor/item doesn't float up to the ship or anything like that.

Also, I why is the magnum pistol cheaper than the basic pistol? I haven't done much real power comparison but normally I'd assume the magnum would be more expensive.

Looking forward to the next version though, keep up the good work.

Edit: Forgot to mention, your SniperRifle.lua has some minor mistake. I got an error thrown up that wasn't really an issue (a minor lack of error checking that didn't actually cause problems) and when I was looking into it I noticed that on line 44, 46 and 48 you use a variable angleadd. However, that variable hasn't been defined as local (you forgot to put a line saying local angleadd somewhere above) so it's actually global. This means that all snipers use the same angleadd, which isn't really an issue in the case I guess since cc is singlethreaded. It's still a good idea to be careful of that, and not pollute global namespace. I haven't looked through any other scripts, but it might be a good idea to go through them and look out for this just in case.

Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:11 am

Yeah, the gunship accuracy is pretty wacky, especially since they seem to be firing some kind of invisible explosive round. I guess it's kind of balanced in that it really can't take any hits (Nod Cyborgs can bring it down faster than they can disable vanilla dropships - and they have one of the weaker projectiles when it comes to mass/sharpness/etc.) but even so, it's a little odd. The worst part is probably the lack of trail though, the shots seem to be quite slow and this can sometimes lead to actors seemingly dying to nothing at all a few seconds after shooting the gunship down.

Everything else seems pretty slick so far, though I'd suggest curbing the volume on some of the sounds using audacity or something. The gunship guns are a prime example, although some of the other weapons are quite loud too.

Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:49 am
Profile YIM

Oh, also a couple of your loadouts don't pick craft and just whatever was selected before. I think the sniper is one of them and there may be more. Might want to give that a look through at some point too.

Oh, and in case I never mentioned it, I love the grenades. The wall breacher's neat (though really laggy, there're definitely cheaper ways to do that by spawning MOSRotatings or whatever) and a cool alternative to diggers, but the frag grenade is particularly awesome, it's a really great implementation!

Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:33 am

Ho boy that is a lot of stuff.

I took a look at the Droppod and I think I fixed the problem? Something to do with extraneous pink space on the bmp representing the droppod. Turns out having it closely cropped made a difference.

I had thought about having the jetpack time longer, but the base game doesn't seem to support it. If I can find a way to implement it in lua without a huge number of checks I might do it that way.

The Dropship did have some wonky pickup capability! It has always handled alright for me, but the hatch being all screwed up certainly did not help it in it's role as dropship
Also I completely agree that the gunship should probably be firing some sort of visible particle and not be able to shoot as far - I'll have to make up some kind of gunship specific weapon that has gunfire that suits it better. I guess it sniping across the map is also not something I intended - was going for more of a sweeping function, so I'll definitely have to check that out! I'm not sure how to handle the turrets to make them print out errors less, but it doesn't seem to affect the simulation too much. If anyone knows how to fix that let me know!

I should probably learn how Loadouts work. Mine is currently cannibalized from an old version that a user made for this mod. I guess if anyone can point out where stupid mistakes are I can fix that as well.

As for the sounds, I can't even remember where they came from (FPSBanana?) but I haven't a clue how to edit that stuff. I might replace some of the sounds if I can come up with something better.

Here's a minor fix (that is a new download), mostly centered around the Droppod and Windblade. Should fix the release-into-terrain problem and also the Windblade hatch and guntarget ranges. Minor problems are still there because I don't know where to look for now, but major game breaking stuff should be worked out.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/e1m31 ... OR1025.rar

Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:59 am

At a glance, the loadouts look fine. I think it's just a bug with the Mecha/Turret loadouts - the Brotherhood has the same issues, as I have both of them set to use the mod's drop pod but they'll copy whatever craft was used for the previous calldown. Not sure it's anything you can fix. :???:

Ed: As for sounds, remember that a lot are probably going to be made for first-person perspective. CC being in a side-scroller view means that things would sound very different if you were actually at the kind of distance the view implies.

When it comes to editing them, it's actually quite simple. It can seem daunting at first, but amplifying (or decreasing) volume/etc. is a very simple operation. Audacity even allows you to export multiple tracks as seperate files if you're batch-processing, which saved me a huge amount of time when amplifying the voiceovers taken from Tiberian Sun and Tiberium Wars.

Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:42 am
Profile YIM

Is this still being worked on?

I feel that RAZOR is best at defending, so I suggest some defensive bunker modules and deployable bunkers and turrets

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5