View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 New World Industries [V1.1] 

Post Re: New World Industries [Compatibility UPDATE]
Looking back I can now remember trying out the earlier versions of this mod. You've definitely improved the balance with the bombs and weapons quite a lot, great job. The whole idea of a "recycle" type of "junk put back together" mod is somewhat creative, and you've pulled it off well. Some basic improvements would be getting good custom sounds instead of vanilla for a nice and different feel for the weapons. Here's some individual nitpicking's that I have cobbled together, keep in mind this sort of the viewpoint of a player, not so much technical suggestions.

The Good:
NW Assault Blaster. I LOVE this thing. It's so fun to use, you can just hold the trigger and watch your enemies disintegrate, but it still feels balanced and unique compared to other "sprayer" type guns.

Colossus Launcher. Feels good, maybe add some sort of flaming trails or burning flames left behind, and get rid of the range of those piercing particles that just look like white lines. Or, at least tone them down.

Energy Mauler. Another great weapon. Somewhat unique and balanced as well. Even though the weapons are redesigned from dummy weapons, maybe you could consider making the "energy" a little different? Like, a different color. Maybe it could stick to targets and burn them, or use impulses to tear apart enemies (They already do that to a degree, but I mean making that the main way it does damage).

The Revolver cannon and Auto cannon. These are both similar to their coalition counterparts, but I still like them because it's very fun to use them, they have great power behind them, but the sprites are too similar to the coalition originals to seem like different guns.

The Bad:
Silenced Deagle. I can feel that this gun has power behind it, but the cheesy sound and suppressor makes it feel unsatisfying. I think that you should make it it's own pistol, not a Desert Eagle, and remove the silencer. It doesn't actually have any good effect, and if you wanted to have it be a spec ops-ish tacticool weapon, you should make another weapon entirely, maybe something like an AS VAL.

NW Battle Rifle. This feels like firing an M16. I mean, really. Seems that the bullets do similar damage, gun has a similar fire rate, it even has the same sound. Maybe change up the sprite a bit, at least slightly, and give it some variety by making it semiauto or something cool.

Flamer. It shoots the "fire" a little bit too accurately, and also the sound keeps playing after you're done firing. Maybe make it some sort of burst fire flame shotgun, or increase the spread or anything. It just doesn't have a great feel to it. Although, I like the fire effects. Blue flame is always cool.

Shotgun. It feels like a SPAS-12, but somewhat more polished, because I can see the increased spread and bullet drop, but damage is still quite similar.
Maybe give it different firing modes, like slugs or frags? Or at least change the sprite.

The troopers. I like how they look, but they should be beefed up a bit, especially the heavy trooper. They look nice, and I think it's cool they bleed on the human flesh parts, and don't bleed on the robot areas of their bodies. They seem to move about very good. I was using a recycled robot heavy that only had one leg, and it seemed to be much more mobile than a normal soldier, not stumbling about being useless.

And the Ugly:
The UltraViolet laser just seems like a total "noob modder" superweapon. Maybe give it some sort of effect to the laser, like black glows, or at least some balance added to the laser. Right now it just chews through everything and is somewhat depressing to use.

All in all it's a very nice mod, I enjoy using it. I think the main thing that could be improved on is the sprites. I know they're recycled from other weapons in the game, but they look too much like the originals to really seem unique. I think the grenades and bombs work well though, and the airstrike flares are very good as well.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Nice, I remember playing with this mod a while back. Most of these are very powerful, but still feel somewhat balanced. Good job.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:18 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

David Rodrigov wrote:
I think the main thing that could be improved on is the sprites. I know they're recycled from other weapons in the game, but they look too much like the originals to really seem unique.

You know I can't sprite a thing, right?
Well, yeah, some guns do look a lot like the originals, also the sounds, so I think I'm going to recombine them in some other ways. Except for a weapon, the NWDE will dissapear and I'll use a "brand-new, original blue-print created personally by the guys at NW". (Not really, I'm going to use the old code and sprite of the "original" pistol in the first version of the mod, though heavily balanced)

Also, I don't know why the flamer keeps doing that sounds, I'm pretty sure I just copy/pasted the coalition flamer's code for everything, but maybe I screwed it up somewhere. I'll look deeper in it.

And my favorite personal is the UVLR :C
I didn't change anything from it since the original version, that's why it's still OP. I'll give it a good revision though.

Aside from all of that, I'm going to create an ACrab, which will basically be a Dreadnought with some random things stuffed on it. And the weapon will be a high powered machine gun, since I've always disliked the fact that Dreadnoughts have an SMG as a weapon.

I'll also update the files for Unmapped Lands and the loadouts, and some other jazz like balance tuning and bla bla bla. You know what I mean.

Sir wrote:
Nice, I remember playing with this mod a while back. Most of these are very powerful, but still feel somewhat balanced. Good job.

Thanks!

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:49 pm

Asklar wrote:
Sir wrote:

Thanks!

Welcome. Although I do agree with David about the shotgun and the battle rifle, they just don't seem that much different to the original weapons. Maybe make the shotgun have exploding rounds? Or possibly give the battle rifle a different sound and higher power?

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:37 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

A shotty with explosive rounds is pretty OP. You know, one of my first weapons to get lua on this mod a while ago was the shotgun and it had explosive rounds, and a single shot turned a Dreadnought into terrain.
I'll try to find another way to make it unique. Maybe bouncing rounds? After hitting something solid enough (like concrete) the pellets would bounce at 3/4 speed, then at 1/2, finally at 1/4, and then it would stop.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Bouncing rounds sounds great.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am

This needs a compatability update for 1.0, the version steam Has, because the Coalition heavy sniper file referenced is no longer there, Thought I should let you know< I can get the errorlog .bmp if I re-install the mod to it to show , but yes, it is not compatable with the latest version because of file name changes or something.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:36 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I already expected to see those errors.

Anyway, fixing ASAP, changing some file paths doesn't take too much time.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Asklar wrote:
I already expected to see those errors.

Anyway, fixing ASAP, changing some file paths doesn't take too much time.

Good to hear ^..^ Looking forward to being able to re-add it to 1.0

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:41 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Might take more to update, I want to create the ACrab.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:12 am

Well, i just installed 1.0 and thought i'd run this, but apparently you haven't fixed it yet. Oh well.

Will the Acrab be finished soon? I wish to take this great mod for a spin in the 1.0

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:56 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I don't think so, because my computer currently can't run Cortex Command because I must boot it in safe mode.
I've been trying to make CC run in safe mode but it doesn't seem to be possible.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll try to fix this in 10 minutes or less booting my PC normally and hopefuly before I get a bluescreen.

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:05 am

Any news about a fix for the steam side of things? I just tried it but it is failing on this step:

---------------------------
RTE Aborted! (x_x)
---------------------------
Failed to load datafile object with following path and name:

Coalition.rte/Effects/Sounds/HeavySniper1.wav

The last frame has been dumped to 'abortscreen.bmp'

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:16 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I haven't got any time to work on fixing this thing, I'm sure I've got some reference errors of things that got moved around, which should be simple to fix, but again, I don't have enough time to do it.

But when I fix it, I'll also add some stuff to keep you guys entertained.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Another post on another topic mentioned that there was also bug or two with 1.0 that Data needed to address. No worries

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next