View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 A Chorus of Crickets - Update 9 - VE Bolt Launcher,bug fixes 
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: A Chorus of Crickets - Update 6 - Anti-Creep
As far as I know, detecting materials is done by casting moRays.

CC, how do you detect materials.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:27 am

When creating terrain using particles, the particles settle the instant they're spawned, so it's pretty efficient. Not as fast as settling a single MO, but more flexible.

Terrain detection is done through either CastStrengthRay or GetTerrMatter. CastMORay is used for MOs (Movable Objects), not terrain.

Saving terrain data in the form of an image is unnecessary and wouldn't be efficient. Once you grab the material IDs (using GetTerrMatter), all you need to do is store the data in a table. No need to write an image file to your harddrive.

The issue really with this is: What exactly am I aiming to create? "Regenerating Bunkers" is an idea, but it's extremely vague when it comes to details on how visually appealing you want it to be, as well as how you want it to be operated. An analogy for all of this would be "Draw me a picture of a cat." What kind of cat would I draw? What is it doing? What's the background scenery?

ryanbob1 wrote:
I just had a crazy thought, could you make a creeper vine that would paralyze actors?
it would be a non lethal way to capture enemies.

I considered this idea. I might end up making it. Maybe.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:13 pm

Do you plan on adding more functions for the telekinesis rock? Like a force barrier and maybe something to pull things all together?
This mod seems to be getting way more update and faster than other mods.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:44 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

CaveCricket48 wrote:
ryanbob1 wrote:
I just had a crazy thought, could you make a creeper vine that would paralyze actors?
it would be a non lethal way to capture enemies.

I considered this idea. I might end up making it. Maybe.

Made of weak vines, and an exposed vine core that hovers around the ensnared targets???

Is there a way to make a particle of x color, and y material?
What can you detect of Terrain, and active MoPixels?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:15 am

For terrain, you can grab what material it's made of. For MOPixels, there are all the basic object properties (Velocity, Mass, Sharpness, etc.), and you might be able to identify the material.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:13 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

So nothing pointing towards color? Damn, well as far as anyone is concerned, you could possibly sample the area, and have it replace portions with a significant amount of damage [more or less air pockets, or non-x materials], and then go on from there, it won't be particularly accurate, but as long as it feels good at what it is doing [and shuts off]-- I don't know.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:43 pm

While playing some Mass Effect, I came across the Thorian for the fourth time. I got to thinking how cool it would be for some sort of "Vine Nexus" that produces actors similar to zombies (Either straight up culled or some other bullet-eating thing) but more...Vine-y and thorny. Maybe they can shoot thorns and stuff, you know, plant thingies. Would that be possible?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:58 pm

Cave, are you open to making requested actors and items for separate mods?

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:36 am

Yuzazi wrote:
While playing some Mass Effect, I came across the Thorian for the fourth time. I got to thinking how cool it would be for some sort of "Vine Nexus" that produces actors similar to zombies (Either straight up culled or some other bullet-eating thing) but more...Vine-y and thorny. Maybe they can shoot thorns and stuff, you know, plant thingies. Would that be possible?

This MIGHT be leaning towards what you're looking for Yuzazi, tho it has more of a fungal theme to it and is a bit old. :???:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=19123

Maybe some sort of mixture between that and CC's Creeper Vines could be what you're wanting.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:38 am

I thought what Yuzazi was speaking of was the possibly impossible following

A brand of Creeper Vine that slowly expands with a visible core. Upon encountering an actor, it kills it and from its fresh gibs, spawns a neutral actor that has a kind of viney look.

I was thinking the actor would do one of two things
Drag actors to the vine
Kill actors so that the vine can subjugate them.

CC48, let me know if this is impossible.
If its possible, let me know how I can help.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:46 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Dragging people is very hard to do [Because of how much damage a person can take from a gun, and probably the effort to code it as an ai behaviour.]

Zombies'09 was capable of converting killed actors into zombies themselves, the problem I can see is that you need to completely recreate it, since that mod is so out of date.

The rest is a problem of too much work, and too much processing for the end user. :/

Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 am

Ninja_Minotaur wrote:
Yuzazi wrote:

This MIGHT be leaning towards what you're looking for Yuzazi, tho it has more of a fungal theme to it and is a bit old. :???:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=19123

Maybe some sort of mixture between that and CC's Creeper Vines could be what you're wanting.

Oh, of course. I used to play around with the Cordyc. I do think something like that mixed with the old Dummy Factory but plants and stuff would look neat. The Spore Gun could drop tiny seeds of vines that grow like small patches of grass, etc etc.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Sounds a bit like zalo's hydra plant but with zombification. Main inhibiting factor for me is spriting, second being I don't enjoy making actors too much, but I can manage.

The idea itself is very possible, it'd just take a bit of time.

ryanbob1 wrote:
Do you plan on adding more functions for the telekinesis rock? Like a force barrier and maybe something to pull things all together?

I never intended to, but the rock's script is designed to allow easy function adding, so it wouldn't be much of a hassle to add more. Not sure how a force barrier would work, but a black-hole effect thing would work, if a bit laggy.

sproginator wrote:
Cave, are you open to making requested actors and items for separate mods?

If you mean making mods separate from this pack, well...

The entire point of this pack is an attempt to keep all of my mods in a single place. I believe I have the highest number of topics in Mod Releases, so I'd like to try to make fewer topics, more packs.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:43 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

So yeah, what do you think of lazy material sampling?

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 am

What for again?

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next