View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 1:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Megalodon 

Post Re: The Megalodon
Awesome, but you already knew that. ;) Grats to you both! :grin:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Damn, just made a chopper for my trappers mod :P where actors could shoot out like this about 2 days before you uploaded :P, well I think I'll just redesign mine a bit then :=)

As for your chopper, I feel like the control scheme is way to stiff, why not use actual helicopter physics?

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:03 pm

Seems that you aren't very experienced with lua, so you did wonderful job pulling out such ambitious project. Probably too ambitious.
The Gunship is awesome, but impractical because of somewhat clumsy movement and camera controls.
It gives a feeling that something's wrong, something's unfinished.
And high risk of crashing the game while using it just adds to that feeling.
Your scripts lack some vital checks like "is object held by claw a valid MO at the moment", and that leads to those unpleasant crashes mid-game or on the end of current activity and/or quiting the game.
You tried to add many options and functions at once, but maybe it would be better to focus on one at a time?
For these reasons I like the pilot (great work on it btw) more than gunship itself, sorry.

I don't want to discourage you by any means, I really appreciate the effort you put in it, this mod is completely amazing, just the fact you had guts to finish it and not to quit in the middle of work makes you a great guy and a great modder despite any problems of your creation.
I just want to point out the things that could use some work on them.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:34 pm
Profile ICQ
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Mad Alex wrote:
SLAP TO REALITY

Hahaha, yeah, I know that. I just took a random project that I liked a lot and expanded it much.
And at the beggining it was going to be very simple, the same movement mechanics, a gatling gun and the bombs, but slowly and thanks to Nax more and more ideas were added.

And, as akblabla also pointed, I also don't like how the movement turned out. At the beggining I went with the typical dropship movement, but for some reason I can't remember now, I made it more and more lua-fied.
The movement became pretty stiff, so I did a lot of tweakings to make it move more fluidly, but I reached that moment in which adding or substracting a 0.1 would result in a very glidy movement or complete stiffness.

Joseh123 wrote:
Is it normal to take 3 shots of a coalition normal pistol and get destroyed and no gibs come out of it? Still, this mod is just awesome!

And, are you friggen kidding me? That is by any reasons impossible, it's made from a material stronger than Mega Metal, so probably the rounds would have bounced off, and if not, it has a GibWoundLimit of 150.
You need like 3-4 shots of the RPG or the Coalition Flak Cannon to knock it down, and it should be like that because those are anti-air weapons.

I didn't want to make it more indestructible, you know, the balance and stuff.

Still, on the next update, when I make the lua less crappy and work the movement and all those things, I'll make it tougher.

EDIT:

akblabla wrote:
As for your chopper, I feel like the control scheme is way to stiff, why not use actual helicopter physics?

Haha.
Shut up, I haven't created a complete system of realistic aerodynamics used on a glider, a crossbow or a soon-to-be-released better-working chopper.
:C

EDIT2:

Why did I began noticing all the posts now? Maybe I'll re-edit this more =P

Wilq wrote:
As sayed someone before me, make strictly troop transport but with a lot of space so at least 6-8 actors can fire at enemy :).

Roy the Cuttlefish wrote:
Could you consider making 2 other versions of the same craft, 1 with no weapons but the claw, for about maybe 600 gold, and then one with no weapons and no claw, just a transport for like 400-500?

I had thought on making more gunships, just like you guys say, but 1) I didn't want to bother Nax with more sprites and 2) Looking at the idea right now, I think I'll do it when I make this script work much better =P
I even had the idea of creating a huuuuge mothership with lots of automated turrets and stuff. But that will have to wait until I'm much, much, much better at doing this.

Also, once I thought on creating an open-topped war-truck, which would have space for 4-5 soldiers.
But, if scripting on mid-air was hard, doing it on the ground would have been harder =P

And, I'm glad you guys like the idea of soldiers shooting out of the craft. It was originally Naxete's idea, but I got too enthusiastic with it and decided to include it at all costs. At the begging it wasn't very good though, because on B26 I had to create a box on the hatch area and make everything in there ignore the gunship, but with B27 and self.IgnoresTeamHits, half of the job was solved.
By far, this is the feature I like the most, basically because you can create great made-up stories (like the gif I made, which was a pain in the ass to record (using printscreen), but very fun when planning).

As freak data, the ship could originally have 3 soldiers inside, it worked so wierd that I cut it down to 1, but before releasing and to do the gif, I decided it would look better with 2 actors, so I scripted that bit quickly again.

Last edited by Asklar on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:44 pm

As it was stated before, add MovableMan:ValidMO and IsActor() kind of checks wherever you doubt it can cause problems. That should solve pretty much all game crashing bugs.
As for movement, why not just base it around Abdul's gunships? His gunship scripts are a lot less complicated that they seem to be, and movement is physic based (as they work by adding forces to objects), as opposed to unintuitive velocity based.

EDIT:
Asklar wrote:
akblabla wrote:

Haha.
Shut up, I haven't created a complete system of realistic aerodynamics used on a glider, a crossbow or a soon-to-be-released better-working chopper.
:C

His choppers seems to be based on Abduls's gunship script too, atleast it feels similar. So consider my suggestion :wink:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:01 pm
Profile ICQ
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I think I'll give the better movement a go, but after I fix all the game crashing issues.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:12 pm

http://i.imgur.com/6BkXL.png :(

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:19 pm

Malamo999 wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/6BkXL.png :(

Broken.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:37 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

My images broke the popularity limit.
Guess you'll have to wait for a while to see the images.

In the meanwhile, I'll clean my public folder to reduce the amount of traffic I use.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Quote:
Also, once I thought on creating an open-topped war-truck, which would have space for 4-5 soldiers.
But, if scripting on mid-air was hard, doing it on the ground would have been harder =P

Couldn't you use some of the stuff from Experimental Dummy Vehicles?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:01 am

After some extensive usage, here are my issues with the mod.

The sprite seems like it took a lot of work, and I admire that, but it lacks a natural feel for me, the vehicle just dose not fit well with the scheme of cortex terrain and actors, It also doesn't really look anything like a normal helicopter should, its just TOO overburdened, something like that really wouldn't fly right. The way I see it you just Packed way to many features into 1 vehicle, A helicopter should do at a maximum 3 things I think, this would be MG/Rockets/Troop transport. The bombs, I personally feel don't make any sense, I love the Idea behind the bomb feature that you added, but On a helicopter, All I ended up thinking was "WTF helicopters don't drop bombs" (especially not from the same spot the actors sit, no room for a bomb bay). Here is what I think Would fix the mod for me: Revamp the sprite, try and get it to look more like something out of CC, (maybe even trade in the helicopter idea for more of a Engine like the Ones from the AIR support mod). Then, Split the Concept into 3 different vehicles or so, something like: 1 troop transport, 1 cargo carrier, and 1 assault (without the bombs preferably, if you have to have them maybe make a specific "bomber"). I know its a lot to ask, And So I have No expectations that all of that will be done.

I Appreciate your effort on this mod, and want you to know it was not wasted on me, but sadly I can't simply get over my dislikes of the weapon systems and general look of the helicopter enough to keep it for its good features, it just sticks out to much from the rest of CC, and I'm prone to wanting things to be uniform to at least a degree.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:44 am

Quote:
And, are you friggen kidding me? That is by any reasons impossible, it's made from a material stronger than Mega Metal, so probably the rounds would have bounced off, and if not, it has a GibWoundLimit of 150.
You need like 3-4 shots of the RPG or the Coalition Flak Cannon to knock it down, and it should be like that because those are anti-air weapons.

I didn't want to make it more indestructible, you know, the balance and stuff.

Well, I got shot by a heavy pistol and got destroyed. That did not happened once, so I know it wasn't a bug or something. Anyway, are you going to make gibs?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:18 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Joseh123 wrote:
GIBS

I suppose you didn't even read the OP.

Roy the Cuttlefish wrote:
Interesting criticism that I will take into account.

Well, I can't do anything regarding sprites, because, I didn't sprite anything (except the Enforcer, a simple and bad looking pistol and the ammo bars), so I'm going to talk with my great spriter, Naxete, about what he can do with the sprites to make them more Cortex Command-ish.

And now that I think about it, yeah, this gunship has a lot of functions.
Transport, air raids, bombing runs, heavy weight lifting...

If the opportunity shows up, I might create simpler variants of the Megalodon, like one which would be strictly for fighting and another one used only for transport.

But before I do any of those, as I said before, I need to polish the ♥♥♥♥ out of my script, because as you've probably seen, it still has many bugs and I need to rework the movement system.

Also, I'm not sure why, but getting hit with high mass objects at high speeds will make the gunship gib. It's stupid though; I didn't even define GibImpulseLimit, which should set that value into infinite or something very high. I even tried defining it with ten nines, but still, it doesn't work.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Quote:
-The game crashes if you reload the scene or close Cortex Command with a Megalodon in game. Remember to scuttle it before you do any of these!

Wait, so the game crashes if I close the game?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:07 pm

Joseh123 wrote:
Quote:
-The game crashes if you reload the scene or close Cortex Command with a Megalodon in game. Remember to scuttle it before you do any of these!

Wait, so the game crashes if I close the game?

Lolwhat?

- does this mean you shouldn't use it in the campaign?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next