View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Loyalists.rte - Militia Faction [WIP] Patched 10.07.2012 

Post Re: Loyalists.rte - Militia Faction [WIP]
Four post edits later:
Alright, big post incoming to address everyone's feedback:

Lack of jumping: Very intentional, yeah. The units are so cheap and such, I want to force the player to envision the battlefield differently. They're not completely useless, they can fly fly in dropships climb/dive and they can make bridges out of particles/gibs. I've won a couple campaigns as them already, you just need to dedicate more time to preparing the battlefield with concrete sprayers and flying your troops around in the commander's balloon.

The flintlock: I forgot to balance it and stuff before releasing it. I added that script you linked and also modded longer reload and lowered the sharpness . It is a lot better now, more like I intended it, a last ditch cheap weapon that has better kinetic transfer than the base rifle.

Pre-equipped actors: I actually had them set up like this originally, hence the pouches and gasmask and such being in the files still. I didn't want to stray away from the vanilla method of unit selection, though. If it's that important to you guys, I'll write a quick wxWidgets program to generate Militia.ini files so you can make your own pre-equipped characters, but I really really don't want my actors list to be 8 pages long because of all the different loadouts*. Can someone explain to me what the problem is with presets though? You can save them now, it's just like replacing your entire unit purchase screen.

*I should say, the officer and commissar (and flag) are redundant indeed but they are in the list at the moment because I was planning a DoW style morale system. I'm not sure I still want that done (faction is pretty difficult to play already) but I left them in case I decide to get it done. Feedback on that idea would be nice too.

Edit of the edit of the edit of the edit: I got mega sidetracked while writing my post and just realized that when I originally wrote "They can fly", I intended "They can climb". Posting at 12:37 AM is not the best idea apparently.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:28 am

Pre-equipped actors would work better for cheaper, weaker units. It allows for quicker battlefield deliveries, with no need for switching too many menus.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:47 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Harzipan wrote:
Pre-equipped actors would work better for cheaper, weaker units. It allows for quicker battlefield deliveries, with no need for switching too many menus.

That's what I thought on the beggining. Just click some times the regular militia, select the crate, and watch the reinforcements come.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:23 am

You, good sir, just won all of the internets.
I always wanted some "cannon fodder" in this game to give it more realistic feel(ugh, i need to learn that shitty lua and begin to mod) and here you are!

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:33 am

Its works fine now thanks. I prefer the weapons to be proportioned to how it looks on your first page.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:13 am

Based on the ideal of this faction, it seriously need a delivery system that is preloaded with an assortment of armed/unarmed troops to quickly flood the front lines with meat bags.

Forget about ordering militia one by one and dress them up with weapons. We shouldn't care. Just give us half a dozen of random troops whenever we make an order.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:30 am

Now I have something to fight the Wehrmacht. ( from Kettenkrad's mod )

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:16 pm

"Oh look, another newbie made mod, damn I wish they'd just give up an- the ♥♥♥♥ is this? These sprites, they're fantastic! *Downloads* *Joygasms*"
Seriously though, these guys are amazing, and crazy good for a first mod, I hadn't read any unit descriptions when I tested these, so the balloon blew me away when it came down with an actor in the basket.
Since nobodies perfect I'll just point out a few things, the sprites (while amazing) just need a little TLC when it comes to sizes and bordering (Not, note a style issue, just the proportions between one another feel just a tad off) the actors really should at least have the ability to do a small jump and I find the tanks reload system is really weird.
Regardless of all that, amazing work, you remind of Kettenkrad when he started out, hope you keep up the good work and that we'll see many glorious mods in the years to come.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:35 pm

A very well done to you sir this is looking Great! Sprites are neat full of original ideas good job

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Can I suggest guns/things what I would like to see, I can rite?
Artillery guns/mortars (also a mortar pit module). Breech loaded rifles. A bayonet option in the pie menu so one can smite his enemies. Gas attacks. Bunch of trench warfare models for the ultimate bloodshed.

Currently the mod looks great and it's a-lot-o-fun-per-death.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Well, there must be some additions. At first - pack of crappy bunker modules including trenches. Also, trench gun(aka shotgun) will be quite acceptable. Since they can't fly, so it will be awesome to make some kind of brick-deploying concrete filler to fill holes A LOT faster.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:27 pm

I really like this mod, and I do want to see it get better and better.

Here are some issues i have with it:
- Pistol hands offset is incorrect
- Tank mg is slightly terrain rapey
- Balloon and delivery crate gibs are huge, and blocks player view

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:36 am

Post Re: Loyalists.rte - Militia Faction [WIP] Updated 31.07.2012
Updated! Check the main post for the changelog. Mainly, I added pre-equipped actors like everyone was asking. Some of the weapon categories are random, and as I add more weapons to the faction they'll be even less reliable. I'm considering having a random option for actors shipping without weapons even if you bought it or something like that.

Also, re-did the whole air balloon thing, it works better now. I know there's at least one crash in it, I think it happens when you reach the MOID limit. I can't reproduce it though.

Oh, and some of you might like the scene bits I drew up. I made some trenches and houses. I want the bases for these guys to have a very ww2 town feel, but with sci fi props and such, probably scavenged from shot down tradestar dropships/rockets/etc.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:54 pm

The screenshot category seems to be broken... And pre-equipped actors FTW!

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:20 am

Tested the new version out. Randomizer works well. I like the addition of gas masks and randomly equipped bayonets. For the bayonets, I would suggest making a "bayonet mode" instead of stabbing upon selection.

Doing away with the huge gib pieces of the crate and balloon makes it much better, but not good enough. Somehow the rest of their gibs would not collide with anything, get stuck on the ground and obstruct player's view. They cannot be removed, and it's a pretty big problem.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next