View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Brolands mod, [WIP] 

Post Re: Brolands mod, [WIP]
Spectacular!

"3 random modules used for creation of a SMG like weapon."

Do you mean modular models, as in sprite weapon parts, or something else related to modular scripting (Not graphics.)?

Just wondering because I haven't come across any mod that does this, or anything remotely like it, I think. And if you meant sprite-weapon parts, is it a complex procedure to add new parts, or can you easily add new ones?

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:15 am
Forum Moderator

The script picks 3 random modules, 1 bullet type and some sounds depending on the bullet type and magazine. Then it applies the stat modifiers associated with those modules and bullet types to a set of slightly randomized base stats. After this is done I use lua to fire the picked bullet when needed and move around the modules according to a set of offsets set per module.

At the moment though I still need to make the muzzle offsets and fix balancing. Then I think we're ready for release of a teaser version of the mod.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:56 pm

With the Lua-spawned bullets, do they still ignore collisions with team mates?

Edit: Awesomee

Last edited by Kettenkrad on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:19 pm
Forum Moderator

Yes, they do.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:26 pm

That sounds awesome.

Is it possible for anyone to (easily) add new modular item graphics into the randomized selection pool? (IE; If the script picks from a folder of graphics, or if that is even possible.)

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:23 am

Jac_Solar wrote:
That sounds awesome.

Is it possible for anyone to (easily) add new modular item graphics into the randomized selection pool? (IE; If the script picks from a folder of graphics, or if that is even possible.)

Yes, very easy. You just add graphic modules, then update the lua file with whatever data you want associated with your module.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum Moderator

Djinn wrote:
Jac_Solar wrote:
That sounds awesome.

Yes, very easy. You just add graphic modules, then update the lua file with whatever data you want associated with your module.

You'd also need to update smg.ini. But yeah, it is pretty easy to add new modules. I'll need to write up a tutorial for this at some point, as I've stated in my todo list.

Also, I was actually counting on people expanding this after release.

Example stats from latest release:

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:38 pm

there's 40,000 different guns, shouldn't it be ready for at least a pre-release?

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:38 am

:shock: Somebody is FINALLY making a Borderlands mod?!!!! I think I love you. Borderlands I and II are, and always will be, my favorite games. Ever. You are epic for doing this. Can't wait for Sniper Rifles, Rocket Launchers and the like xD

Any estimated estimation of an estimated estimate for a pre-release?
Oh god, i hope it's soon. :D

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:44 am
Forum Moderator

As it stands right now, I just need to create more bullets. When I have the lua down for the 4 different archetypes it shouldn't take long to implement the other gun types. As long as I get some sprites for it. So, if I make a concerted effort, I should be able to roll it out in a week or two. I haven't really been doing this though, so we are probably closer to a month or so.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:03 am

Are you requesting sprites? I'd love to contribute as I'm quite interested in this project.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:20 am
Forum Moderator

Going back to actively developing Brolands, could use some sprites for shotguns, assault rifles and snipers. I've also pledged to be done with Brolands before the next year. So there will definitely be a release before that, no matter how done I am.

edit:

I got the basic scripting and effects down for the different bullet types. But there are a lot of problems. Firstly, the chance of them happening are nowhere near what I set them to, I am chalking that down to dodgy target acquisition. Something I will have to look at. But yeah, try it out, balance some stats if you want, give me some feedback.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1649320/Cortex ... ds.rte.rar

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:37 pm

p3lb0x wrote:
Going back to actively developing Brolands, could use some sprites for shotguns, assault rifles and snipers. I've also pledged to be done with Brolands before the next year. So there will definitely be a release before that, no matter how done I am.

edit:

I got the basic scripting and effects down for the different bullet types. But there are a lot of problems. Firstly, the chance of them happening are nowhere near what I set them to, I am chalking that down to dodgy target acquisition. Something I will have to look at. But yeah, try it out, balance some stats if you want, give me some feedback.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1649320/Cortex ... ds.rte.rar

I realize you already know this, but why not just convert in-game Borderlands sprites to use? I'm sure you could google screenshots of inventory views and convert them to palette and clean them up.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:32 am

Because that is a really poor way of doing it. You'd lose huge amounts of detail in the scale-down process, and the sprites would just be blurry, indistinct blobs.

Scale+convert is lazy as hell and no substitute for proper spriting at all.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:26 am
Profile YIM

Arcalane wrote:
Because that is a really poor way of doing it. You'd lose huge amounts of detail in the scale-down process, and the sprites would just be blurry, indistinct blobs.

Scale+convert is lazy as hell and no substitute for proper spriting at all.

:???:

You can clean up the image, after all you're working in single pixel by pixel art frames. I do this all the time for getting a straight reference to the outline of complex forms for my sprite work.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next