View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Battlefield GunPack W.I.P. *UPDATE* 

Post Re: Battlefield GunPack W.I.P. *UPDATE*
trotskygrad wrote:
there are "better" (imo) sprites for the AK-74M and AKs-74u in my commonwealth gun pack.
also I have a FN MAG (aka M240B) and I'm fine if you use that as long as you credit me as well.

Thanks for the offer, but one thing, almost the only thing I enjoy doing in modding, besides playing with my own creations in-game, is spriting the weapons.
It feels sort of like drawing or painting (in a way it basically is drawing or painting), and just really gets artsy people like me (if I may say so) all riled up and happy.
I appreciate it though, and by the way that gunpack of yours is really great stuff, good job on it.

Notsoscary wrote:
The Mod is nice, but i really dont like that they are mostly a little bit too weak (the MG mostly).

The guns are quite weak, I've noticed this.
Recently I rebalanced them slightly to give them more power, but it is really a time consuming process to get them right.
Like, reload times, prices, fire rate, speed, and especially the mass and sharpness of the bullets themselves.
They are stronger now after my adjustments, and instead of the mass-based damage route, which will just smash everything to bits and knock enemies back, I've taken the particle count road, so that they won't knock enemies back, give much recoil, or gib things as well, but they will subtract much more health per shot.

Also guys, which of these sprites look more visually pleasing?
The darker versions here:

Or their brighter and somewhat more compact counterparts here?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:46 am

Brighter things fit Cortex Command better, though you have to look at the gun.
I like to think that each one has a personality based on how it works and how its used, so color accordingly.

Maybe I missed a post or something, but I would recommend respriting some of the guns

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:30 am

Great idea, considering I was already doing that ;).
I've got more sprites done, and also a source to get the actual BF3 sounds. Coding the guns and items won't be a problem. The weapons are mostly from BF3, but I've thrown in a few from older games, like the Thompson. Here they are. A few are resprited from the artwork Major has in the sprite dump, so props to him for that. I've gone with the "brighter" versions, since Andy said they looked better, and I think that as well.

DAO-12.
AK74M.
AKS74U.
AUG-A3.
DAO-12 (second version).
FN2000.
G18.
M16A4.
M416.
SPAS-12.
Thompson.

AndyChanglee wrote:
I like to think that each one has a personality based on how it works and how its used, so color accordingly.

I don't know what it is about this sentence, but I love the idea you've presented. Even though it's just a few blocks of color, you're saying that each gun has a "personality", which I think is true. When I do a painting of something, I like to think that it's like drawing a portrait of somebody, even if it's just a lifeless object. I love having the colors burst out and using shadows to create a larger than life feeling, sort of like giving a distinctive jawbone or pretty eyes to someone in a painting, but instead just "enhancing" the object. I wish I had the talent to do that with something in so small a scale, but unfortunately pixel art is not my specialty.

Back on topic, I'd say everything is coming along nicely, although a bit slowly.
There's a lot of things I still have to figure out, being a modder, but if I do learn them, I hope to implement features like burst firing, different fire modes, different ammunition modes, and other things for items like remote detonation, and healing for medkits. So, basically everything revolves around me learning pie menu buttons. Someone should make a tutorial for this, it's quite difficult for a beginner.

Also, my friend David Rodrigov has a small cowboy soldier mod that contains one actor and a few guns (it's in his avatar), and even though they don't really "fit in" with Battlefield, I was thinking of including them in my mod just to fill it out a bit. What do you guys think?

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:23 am

I think having your own actor would be a better idea actually, it wouldn't be incredibly hard anyways since you could use everything from coalition as a template.

All your mod needs is a few actors and continuous gun updates.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2