View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 [WIP] Psyclones 
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

[WIP] Psyclones
Tired of making boring missions one day I decided to have my own faction which I could use in Cortex Shock and other projects which need custom units. And now here it is. Don't expect something hilarious though, it's just an abandoned WIP-mod which tries to deliver some fun or fresh ideas. Also, most weapons are just altered vanilla versions, just because I can't sprite and hate to edit INI. All custom sprites, concepts and some weapons were made by my personal hero DudeAbides.

Psyclones are heavily modified coalition clones, who took over the research facilit ywhere they were bred and captured all available experimental weapons and alien technology samples. They are pretty weak, but agile and posess psi-powers. Using these powers they can damage units, steal their weapons, make units panic and drop their weapons, push enemies or even in case of Sarcophagus move enemy dropships out of the way. Their psi-strength depends on amount of nearby friendly units, health and psi-power available. Purple glow around psyclone's head indicate how much psi-power and strength this psyclone have. Only visible and close enough units are affected and brain units are immune to all of these harmful effects.

Download here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1741337/Psyclones/psyclones_B30_V40.rte.zip

Psyclones are compatible with Official Metagame, Tartarus/Blockwars/Dynamic Warfare and Unmapped Lands 2, you can find faction files in Psyclones.rte\FactionFiles folder.

You can use any scripts in your mods without asking any permissions.

Credits:
Weegee - Scripting, Ideas
DudeAbides - Sprites, Visual design, Weapons
4zK - Sprites
Bad Boy, Gotcha! - Testing, Suggestions

Last edited by weegee on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:33 pm

Post Re: [WIP] Psyclones
I find these guys very cool, although the psi abilities are very subtle.

If you like, I'd love to do some more unique weapon sprites for them.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:10 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Code:
ERROR: Psyclones.rte/Effects/GaussWeaponLightning.lua:26: attempt to index field 'parent' (a nil value)

Ordered the orb and it spammed that.

Otherwise, I really love the idea and the sprites of the actors, they have that feel like being the superior life-form that silently seek to destroy other ones to absorb they (in this case, psi) energy.

Also, how do the psi abilities activate? They seem to be automatic, but I didn't get much how they work.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:32 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Austupaio, you're welcome, but you'll also have to deal with offsets and all other complex things because I'm a total null in it. Id personally prefer some black or gray weaopns with thick, long barrels :twisted:

Asklar, fixed that errors. Psi-abilities are automatic. If psyclone is unarmed it will try to teleport nearby weapon to itself. Next if it see someone close enough, it will try to hit him. If someone is farther - steal weapon. Next push turget. Next make enemy frop it's weapon. Next make enemy fire above psyclone's head. Psyclone have energy which depletes when it uses abilities and slowly regenerates after. Also weaker psyclones can't use damage ability. But you can put a few psyclones nearby and you'll see that they glow brighter hence their psi-powers are higher and they perform better in all ways possible. Also when psyclone is killed it can turn into avatar, insane creature with limited lifetime but very high psi-power.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:30 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Well that was quick.

Now I'll create a base using only this guys as guards to see the powers in action.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:49 pm

This is a pretty god quick mod, tought it wloud be cool to control the psi abilities.

and a better texture

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:15 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Well well, setting three of these guys as guards can do pretty cool stuff. Though, they should let their power charge a bit more instead of using it instantly when there are many enemies nearby, since they can only do that weak push.

I love the idea of using the skills automatically.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:24 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Asklar wrote:
I love the idea of using the skills automatically.

Yeah, I think that everything beyond standard CC controls is overcomplication. So there are no controls at all )))

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:41 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

One last question.

The Sarcophagus doesn't amplify other psyclones abilities, but do other psyclones amplify the Sarcophagus powers?

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:45 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Hm, looks like the sarcophagus amplifies psyclones, but they don't aplify him. Also psyclones near sarcophagus restore energy 10 times faster.

UPD:

No, looks like I lied and they amplify each other )))

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:54 pm

So,this power thing is cool and all, but its less cooler not to control it.
Wloud you kindly try and make a controllable version,please.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:58 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Well, just one more suggestion. Weakened enemies should be easier to attack with the psi-abilities, maybe needing to spend less power to attack them or something like that. Maybe if they are damaged enough (10>hp) being able to drain their life or psi-power.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:59 am

Cool, glad to see a release of this, everything's playing better than it was before and the new actors and weapons look good.
The basic light and heavy actors still seem a bit useless since they're so flimsy, though I guess they're fairly cheap for what they gain from some of their abilities so it balances out. The sarcophagus on the other hand is great, and a ton of fun. It might be a bit too good really, since a few of them on top of a hill or something can entirely stop enemy advances.
Other than that, it's really fun, a cool idea executed well. Also the wormhole guns look great and are great (though a different colour so they don't get confused with psy effects might be a good idea). It does seem weird that they don't detonate on impact at all, cause of that the grenades may be more useful.

A few bugs/complaints/suggestions:
The goto ai was acting kind of wonky, not sure if that's your fault or not though. Part of this may just be that the sarcophagus can't move much, but I've experienced it with normal psyclones too. I'll give you more specifics if I get them.
When you place a bunch of psyclones in bunker creation mode and then place a weapon, the teleport to inventory adds it to all of their inventories at once, you'll want a proximity check or something on that, or maybe to delete the weapon and add a copy of it or something, I'm sure you'd know better than I.

I'd also suggest that sarcophagi have the (expensive) ability to bounce away dropship and other aerial gibs or something, since they seem particularly susceptible to dropship gibs since you can't move them well yourself. Maybe it'd be better if it was really expensive and required a bunch of clones together instead.
On the note of mobility, are the sarcophagi supposed to be more or less immobile? They get stuck in pretty much any material pretty fast.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:57 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Yeah, the sarcophagus should be something like an "enhacing totem" with protective powers.

Also, once I ordered many psyclones and some of them didn't have powers, they started without any glow in the head and they wouldn't get any.

EDIT:

Bah, to sad this is just an abandoned WIP, I really loved the idea and it could have developed into one of the most unique factions of them all.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:21 am

I'm noticing that psy powers fail to work against ACrabs

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next