View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 [WIP] Psyclones 
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: [WIP] Psyclones
walid0303 wrote:
So,this power thing is cool and all, but its less cooler not to control it.
Wloud you kindly try and make a controllable version,please.

No, the main reasin is I can't imagine how you'll be able to control it with default controls. A dozen of pie-menu items is not an option for me.

Asklar wrote:
Well, just one more suggestion. Weakened enemies should be easier to attack with the psi-abilities, maybe needing to spend less power to attack them or something like that. Maybe if they are damaged enough (10>hp) being able to drain their life or psi-power.

Sounds reasonable

Bad Boy wrote:
The basic light and heavy actors still seem a bit useless since they're so flimsy, though I guess they're fairly cheap for what they gain from some of their abilities so it balances out.

They're designed to operate in groups and with support of their mastermind they're quite powerful. I test them in Tower Assault, and they can beat the crap out of any faction loosing just a couple of brain units. Mastermind and sarcophagus greatly boost their powers. But that said in long-range combat they can be pretty useless, since they can't use damaging attack. Maybe they need some long range psi-enabled unit. I'll probably increase their default psi powers numbers.

Bad Boy wrote:
The goto ai was acting kind of wonky, not sure if that's your fault or not though.

Dunno about sarcophagus, but in Tower Assault they move pretty well and fast. You can probably test them with RTS brain which is all about issuing GOTO's )))

Bad Boy wrote:
When you place a bunch of psyclones in bunker creation mode and then place a weapon, the teleport to inventory adds it to all of their inventories at once

Looks like I need to check if activity is in design mode and disable abilities. Never placed them in design mode actually ))

Bad Boy wrote:
I'd also suggest that sarcophagi have the (expensive) ability to bounce away dropship and other aerial gibs or something

I guess the only way to do this is to enumerate all particles which does not sound good. Probably with the help of some tricky co-routines and a single loop for all actors. Sound like a small challenge! :)

Bad Boy wrote:
On the note of mobility, are the sarcophagi supposed to be more or less immobile? They get stuck in pretty much any material pretty fast.

Yeah they're designed to be pretty slow and clumsy. Something like Necron's monolith, slow but deadly.

Asklar wrote:
Also, once I ordered many psyclones and some of them didn't have powers, they started without any glow in the head and they wouldn't get any.

Weird, there's a debug routine which shows actor's power and remaining energy, you can enable it in Psycho_Create.lua , just set self.PrintSkills = true . You'll also need to start some activities which can write random text on the scene, like UL2, Cortex Shock or Weapon Test first, they will create text-writing functions.

Hellevator wrote:
I'm noticing that psy powers fail to work against ACrabs

Yeah, they work only against AHumans. Don't know why really, probably to make this their weak point. Who cares about crabs anyway :)

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:31 am

My first go at the Pistol and SMG, I also changed the firing sound for both to the unused Blaster Pistol sound in Base. Seems fairly suitable for both the weapons and actors.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:35 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Updated. A bit hardened psyclone's heads. Boosted their psi-powers and SMG. Reduced prices. Fixed pre-deployment error. Brain unit now headless.

Austupaio, nice but I'd prefer something like this http://www.inspirationmix.com/concept-weapon-designs-halo-avatar-aaron-beck/

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:13 pm

I'll try something based on those concepts.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Perhaps a workaround for that control vs uncontrolled would be to make different units? That way you could evenly spread the number of powers each unit has with little sprite editing involved. But as it stands the mod is still amazing.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:38 pm

I think it might be cool to add a weak energy shield to the list of powers, maybe if they are put into a defensive mode via the pie menu? (I know that goes against the point of the mod, but you could perhaps tie it to the sentry mode?) Using the shared power feature of the mod the more psyclones you have defending an area (or brain unit), the longer it takes to get the shield down.

Just an idea, I love them as they are already, an excellent addition to the game.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Fair enough about the actors. I did my playtesting on an empty skirmish scenario so I don't actually know how they do indoors, and I'm sure with RTS brain they'd be even better. And yeah at short engagement ranges they completely destroy enemies so I guess they'd be good for indoors combat. I would suggest having some sort of shield or shield or bullet slowdown tool for them, especially if it was something they could only use as a weapon instead of a psychic power, giving more use to their weapons and increasing their survivability. And I never tried the mastermind, I think I must have missed it completely :(

As for goto, fair enough, the problems were probably just because of their large numbers, the weak material they were in and my poor laptop.

For the sarcophagi, I'd think you could set up a box around the sarcophagus, occasionally iterate through all particles and add the right ones that are in the box to a table, iterating through and applying effects only on those. I guess that'd still be kind of expensive though, unless you make the sarcophagi boxes global and connect together, then do the iterations through one handler (hope that's the right term) particle or something. But I'm sure you'll come up with a more elegant solution than I ever could, I look forward to seeing what it is if you do it :D

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:22 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Suddenly I came to the conclusion that no matter how smart you are you need to enumerate all particles every frame anyway, because in the next frame they are not the same. At least we can try do it once.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:20 pm

This mod seems fairly interesting. I absolutely love the way the actor flies. The body looks awful dark though, If not completely black. It could use some shading.

I also took a shot at spriting some of the guns.

I'm surprised there are no puns about any South Korean popstars yet.
EDIT: Is it just me or is the image not showing? well, ♥♥♥♥
EDIT2: Stupid shitty imgur I'm not even gonna bother anymore

Last edited by 4zK on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:34 pm

It's not showing.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:53 pm

weegee wrote:
Suddenly I came to the conclusion that no matter how smart you are you need to enumerate all particles every frame anyway, because in the next frame they are not the same. At least we can try do it once.

Yeah, I didn't think about that but that's true, though you can definitely cut it down to every few MS. And yeah, if I get them properly (through looking at the ai) then coroutines might help, though I'm not sure where you'd yield if the main cpu use is the iterating through all the particles.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:14 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Updated. Compatible with official metagame. Sarcophagus has shield. Added assault rifle and seeker grenades. Many balance tweaks. Some weapons resprited by 4zK.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:28 am

Another great mod, WeeGee! Keep'em comin'! d:

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: [WIP] Psyclones (upd. 29.12.2012, B25)
Updated. Fixed Brain seeker, added craft seeker grenade and bomb.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:04 pm

Post Re: [WIP] Psyclones (upd. 29.12.2012, B25)
I discovered that the Sarcophagi's shields have the potential to redirect bullets in such a fashion as to destroy actors that pass too close to the shields while firing (or so it seemed, at any rate.) As a result, I decided to experiment a little; I placed a Sarcophagus against a couple Dreadnaughts with a pair of Psyclone Lights backing him, psy catalysts in hand. As I was waiting for one of the Dreadnaughts to come closer, one of the AHuman Psyclones (who had previously been standing still) hovered over to the Dreadnaught and kicked it in its "face", killing it instantly.

I have no idea how the hell that happened, but suffice it to say, this mod is absolutely wonderful. I'm very impressed with the way the psy powers are set up, and I'm enjoying the added gameplay dimension immensely.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next