View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Sergal Faction 

Post Re: Sergal Faction
The spears sit around in the ground after they are thrown blocking movement, gunfire, additional spears etc. if they are going to leave remains they should be either very fragile(so you can walk through them like grass) or break into smaller parts.
Also I believe the chain shotgun has 8 or so chains in every shot layered over one-another, therefore perhaps the weapon should launch multiplier spears in this way and have all but a tracer spear break on impact and the tracer.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 pm
Forum Moderator

Getting it to work satisfactory with ini is basically impossible, you're better off doing some lua or butchering someone elses scripts for your needs.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:47 pm

p3lb0x wrote:
Getting it to work satisfactory with ini is basically impossible, you're better off doing some lua or butchering someone else's scripts for your needs.

Indeed. I know of one mod that uses a javelin (It's actually an Injun Throwing Spear) and that's this mod right here. The actual spear is a TDExplosive itself, so you could simply..."Acquire" the script for it. Of course, I'd ask Emogotsaone but I haven't seen him around myself.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Can you add it as a attachment? I cant download files from mediafire.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:30 am

I will do with the next update proper. :)

Now that I have time, here's the next Javelin test. Please let me know how it goes.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?k8lwi5ejitaqlil

Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:41 pm
Profile WWW

so

on impact the spear fires hundreds of yellow projectiles right back into the throwers face?
also these projectiles fly way to far even if the where going forwards.

did these spears work on your install or did i break them?

Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:56 pm

The yellow particles are placeholders, though I've never actually had them kill the thrower at close range. Is that a reproducible problem?

And thing is with the speed, I'm trying to lower the gibimpulselimit without it breaking the instant it gets dropped out of a rocket. It doesn't seem to be working though, so I've raised the speed.

EDIT: Have a new test almost ready, please hold.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:13 am
Profile WWW

Ok. In the end I resorted to some vanilla code. Please test this one.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?asltj5t88c9s4s2

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:17 am
Profile WWW

The javs are great.. They do weird things though.

First test was on the tutorial crab and the very first jav glanced and caused bleeding to it. The next 2 deflected seemingly doing no damage and then a guardian came in with a spear and stole my kill.

Next I tried it in scenario mode bunker breach on hard. I ordered a lot of them on 1 unit (like 20, because why not? if it's replacing a gun). The AI doesn't seem to move with them equipped (making a point soon) so then I controlled the unit and got 2 or 3 kills just by launching them in the direction I saw shots coming from. Went to move in and noticed the fog of war is VERY shallow while wielding them (maybe the cause of AI just standing there).

Hmm other than that when you die while holding 20 of them it gets really laggy. This wouldnt be a problem except in the case where the AI just stands there being shot on maps with fog of war.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:45 pm

i had a similar experience to the above, although generally I use zombie cave for testing, the spears are either really effective or utterly useless. I believe the impact code is not going of quickly enough in some cases, resulting in the spear having already turned round due to bouncing and its damage pixels missing entirely. just a hypothesis tho. perhaps the spear should use code from the flack cannon, detonating just before it hits rather than when it does.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Well, as old mate up there said. It is most likely impossible to get perfect without some form of finicky lua involved.
And no no javelins aren't meant to replace guns! They're sort of like grenades for melee folk; throw them to soften up the opponent before closing in.

Anyway. Should I leave the javelin as is? I'm growing tired of stuffing it up, and I have other things I'm creating that aren't necessarily sergaly. :(

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:21 am
Profile WWW

Version 1.1 has been released. First post has been updated accordingly. Please let me know how the new shades look, and whether there is anything wrong with the file.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:06 pm
Profile WWW

omegadrace wrote:
Well, as old mate up there said. It is most likely impossible to get perfect without some form of finicky lua involved.
And no no javelins aren't meant to replace guns! They're sort of like grenades for melee folk; throw them to soften up the opponent before closing in.

Anyway. Should I leave the javelin as is? I'm growing tired of stuffing it up, and I have other things I'm creating that aren't necessarily sergaly. :(

Oh, did you ever try looking into my post here?

Fri May 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Yes I did, and I found that the spears in that mod bounce off actors as well.

Fri May 03, 2013 4:22 pm
Profile WWW

So, you want the projectile to stick in an actor? I typed up a Sparkle Magic script that should fill that role. Although, it does a damage-over-time type of deal. Here, take a look.

Code:
function Create(self)
    self.LTimer = Timer();
   self.hurtTimer = Timer();
   self.hurtInterval = 65;
end

function Update(self)
    if self.LTimer:IsPastSimMS(5) then
      for actor in MovableMan.Actors do
         if (math.abs(actor.Pos.X - self.Pos.X) < 18) and (math.abs(actor.Pos.Y - self.Pos.Y) < 18) and (actor.PinStrength <= 50) and (actor.Mass <= 200) then
         --Sticks to the actor or ship. Whichever is better.
            actor.PinStrength = 0;
            actor.Pos = self.Pos;
            actor.Vel = self.Vel;
            --actor.AngularVel = 0;
            --actor.RotAngle = (actor.RotAngle * 2) / 3;
            actor.PinStrength = 5;
            if self.hurtTimer:IsPastSimMS(self.hurtInterval) then
               actor.Health = actor.Health - 1;
               self.hurtTimer:Reset();
               if actor.Health < 0 then
                  actor:GibThis() ;
               end
            end
         end   
      end
   end
   if self.LTimer:IsPastSimMS(3800) then
      self:GibThis() ;
   end
end

This uses pieces from the Harpoon Gun by numgun, so don't take it as being solely my creation. I worked in some extra code that should be able to give you that javelin puncture. You may need to change up the force or speed of the javelin (or mass) when it's thrown, but overall, it should allow you a base to work on. I'd pop it into the javelin code and point it to the .lua file. Try it out.

Fri May 03, 2013 9:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next