View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Galan Tech [W.I.P] 

Galan Tech [W.I.P]
this is my first sorta- okay mod. I made some other mods but they were really bad.

--Galan Tech--

ARSENAL

ACTORS

V1.03 Additions

To-Do list

Current Issues/Bugs

--DISCLAIMER--
I made this on a Mac so I'm not 100% certain that it will work on windows, but mods made on Windows seem to work fine on Macs, so I assume that the reverse will be the same.
it apparently works fine on Windows

Relies on Base.rte
I assume that nobody's really messed with base.rte, because that would probably mess up every part of the game.

ChangeLog

Galan tech is Now compatible with Unmapped Lands 2 and Void Wanderers

Special thanks to:
CaveCricket48 - for his Lua Tutorials
Daman - for posting the Link to the Lua section of the wiki
Grif - for his post on syntax
DataRealms- for actually making the game, and also because I copypasted lots of pieces of vanilla Lua code in a desperate attempt to get anything to work.

Attachments:
File comment: Old version - still has some bugs
Galan.rte.rar [1.59 MiB]
Downloaded 462 times
GalanV1.01.rar [1.6 MiB]
Downloaded 324 times
Galan V1.02.rar [1.64 MiB]
Downloaded 544 times
File comment: --EDIT changed location of UL2 file(Galan.rte/FactionFiles/Ul2/Galan.lua)--
Galan V1.03.rar [1.82 MiB]
Downloaded 1403 times

Last edited by FurryLizard on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:57 pm

Post Re: Galan Tech [W.I.P]
Please include the .rte in the .rar file, so that you don't have to separately choose to Extract to Galan.rte.

Anyway; the mod itself is cramped with lua errors. If you can find out the key to open the lua console on a mac, you should definetly have a look at it.

I love the general look of the mod, though. That tiny galan is cute as hell.

The weapons are a bit odd though. Not sure if I'm liking those charge-weapons or whatever. I appreciate the variation that you've put into them, though.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks for telling me About the lua console; I wasn't aware that that existed.
I think I fixed the errors, but I seem to be getting the error message "Tried to set an override Purchase list with no delivery craft defined.Using a default instead." I checked all the loadouts and fixed all the problems that I found, but i' still getting the error, Even after I took out galan.rte(and all the other mods) so Its probably a problem with my copy of CC.
I am getting that Error repeted a lot, and I can't scroll up in the console so there may be errors that I can't see. just a heads up.

I placed Galan.rte inside a folder, then compressed that folder into a .rar, is that what you meant by placeng the .rte inside the .rar?

Anyway, i just replaced the broken version with the fixed (probably) version to download.

Again, thanks for your input, and please inform me of any other problems you have.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Quote:
The lua console key on mac is /, beside right shift.

As far as the error-causing lua bugs go, they're not too bad.
/Weapons/lua/FireShot.lua:

/Weapons/lua/Railgun.lua:

/Galan/Gunship/Gunship.lua

As far as the mod goes, it's fairly interesting. I really like the tiny Galan actor, even if he does occasionally end up on his head. I'm pretty sure that's to do with the nass of its body parts. Even if it doesn't make sense visually, adding more to the legs or body should, I think, help to remedy that. The rocket probably has a similar issue, perhaps the mass of the thrusters, if those have one. Alternatively it could be related to where you're setting the sprite centre.

I'm not sold on the charge weapons (hyper cannon and assault rife). Rather, I don't see really the reason for having them just run down from say 200 ammo and fire 33 shots, when you could just give it 33 ammo at the same rate of fire with the same projectiles without needing the lua. It seems like a fairly large concession to not know how much you have to fire, just to get a constant smoke stream coming out the back of the gun.
If there's something else that's meant to be happening, I'm not seeing it.

The fire weapons are pretty cool, perhaps a bit overpowered when the FireBall issue is fixed, and don't seem to differentiate much between friend or foe, which may or may not be what you were after. I feel like from a scale perspective, they're a bit peculiar, considering each fireball is magnitudes larger than the weapon or the species who created them.

The ballistic weapons seem like fairly standard bullet guns to me, which is fine, they fire well enough and seem ok. I didn't check to see if you used lua for them, but you probably don't need to. I guess if you did it was to minimise recoil, but that can be done with weightless AEmitters which emit the bullets.

The actual movement scheme for the gunship needs a lot of work. Stopping all horizontal motion when you try to ascend or descend seems a bit jarring to me, but I guess that's ok, but as it currently works, if you hold up while trying to go left or right, you ascend at about 3 times the speed. Also you get occasional and irregular loss of velocity when you let go of keys, which is pretty uncomfortable. Also, if you end up inside a bunker, you'll probably get trapped up at the tunnel ceiling and be unable to go anywhere, because the -3 ascending vel from being too close to the floor traps it. The only way out, oddly, is to fire the weapon, which causes it to descend, due to the order in which the velocity changes are made in the .lua.

Overall, it's a pretty cool mod. The sprites are generally pretty ok, I especially like the Galan. A few issues to work out, but nothing unsolvable.

P.S. Oh, I see you've replied. Well I'll leave this as is, in case there's something else you overlooked.
As far as that error message goes, I get it too, pretty sure it's to do with loadouts, and I believe the majority of them are coming from the default factions, like zombies etc. You can pretty much ignore it.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Yeah, whatever you did, the .rte is correctly placed now.

Also, you should get a file called DebugConsole.txt in your CC folder, at least on windows. It shows the log of the lua console, provided that you exited your last game properly.

And yeah, the purchase list error thing is a bug in the CC release.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:12 pm

I really like this mod

they're tiny and probably hard to shoot it.
And the hover tank as well.

good sprites though.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:41 am

Very nice for a first mod! Nice textures. But there are some additional things i'd love to see in the future!
-A Galan mech trooper
-More Galan vehicles (It seems you're very good when it comes to creating vehicle actors)
Not much more I could ask for at this moment in it's development, it's still very early to even suggest more features, but might as well get some ideas out that might not have come to mind yet.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:13 am

This faction is brilliant

I love how the Skycrane sort of whizzes around in an uncontrollable fashion and then collides with half of your own troops killing them all. So much comical value. Please add more units though :grin:

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:45 am

Necromonger wrote:
Please add more units though :grin:

caleb1984 wrote:
But there are some additional things i'd love to see in the future!
-A Galan mech trooper

Update - the new version now has 4 new actors, including a mech.

also, offsets are a ♥♥♥♥♥ to work with

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:39 am

You went ahead and made it even more awesome :shock:
Especially like the mech, although it's feet appear to detach from its legs when you launch it into the air and then they reappear once it lands again.

Still an original concept though :grin: would be great to see galen sized bunker modules, perhaps a few more vehicles like a hovertank or something, but good work!

Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:55 pm

Necromonger wrote:
perhaps a few more vehicles like a hovertank or something

There's already a hover tank!

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:35 pm

The shield lua of yours.. its like a one of the SAW's shield
but its still decent mod

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:48 pm

It looks like it has some great potential. But the sprites need some work. And the guns need new names. Generic names don't sound as good as the SAW weapon names or Mu-llak.

Other than that its great!

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:24 am

I kinda like the naming scheme. You can actually tell what things do. If I haven't played with SAW in a while I can never remember which gun does what. I can tell the heavy launchers apart from the smaller guns just on appearance, but which one is the grenade launcher and which one fires long range anti-craft shots, I just have to start buying a selection of everything and hope.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:07 pm

Update: Lots of new weapons and features. It also now works with UL2/VW.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]