View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Phezel Industries(WIP) 

Phezel Industries(WIP)
Image Phezel Industries

Hello everybody this is a mod I'm working on wich will have awesome LUA magic. Also I'm working on a library/framework to help me program it, and I'm sharing it before the mod is finished to help other people make mods.

Here is a link to the framework:
Phezel Framework

There is no download for the mod yet.

Right now I only have one actor finished in the mod, a brain.

Strategic Unit
It has an animated head, color changing body and some LUA tricks down it's sleeve.
(The gifs of the radar are old, the don't show the color change in the body)
Animated head

Color changing body

Strategic radar (checks proximity between units to see holes in your defences, only when this unit is active)

Info page (It will be used for unit quantity and other useful data)

Item Recovery Drone
Automatic item recollection automaton.
It has an altitude limit, but can climb walls.

Can set a zone of recovery. And has a visual weight meter.

Last edited by phezel on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:10 pm

Post Re: Phezel Industries (WIP)
Neat stuff, the map thing looks pretty cool - nice design and seems useful.

I didn't know about the FrameMan shapefills, that's a great thing to find out about!

I guess the wall thing doesn't do anything yet, there're old threads on the forums that'll show you how to implement it if you're not sure.

Keep at it, I look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Edit: Forgot to mention, some of your math stuff is completely unnecessary. I hope I'm not being a jerk here, but you've got some pointless stuff that really shouldn't be used, because though they may have the same effects, c++ stuff is always gonna be some tiny amount faster for the same actions.
The vector to angle stuff means people don't have to remember the right trig operation(s) so that's a bit of convenience gained I guess.
Your random is silly, because one can instead do math.random(min, max) or, if you want decimals, RangeRand(min, max) - I don't see much point in trying to rebuild the wheel when there are already two instances of it.
Finally, your calculate_distance is both unneeded, and not entirely correct because it doesn't account for scenewrapping.SceneMan:ShortestDistance(Vector1, Vector2, boolean) does what yours does but also takes the scenewrap borders into account if the last flag is set as true. Combine that with the SceneWrapsX and SceneWrapsY properties of Scene (I think) and you can automatically take into account wrapping when it's there, which yours doesn't do.
Oh, and if you want to add text actually above an actor, you should consider ToGameActivity(ActivityMan:GetActivity()):AddObjectivePoint("text", Position, Team, GameActivity.ARROWDOWN); There's also an Actor.AboveHUDPos (or something like that) property that'll give you the right position for the arrow.

Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:15 am

Bad Boy thanks for the feedback, the wall works, is what I use to make pie menu options that change the actor directly, I just didn't finished writing the post because I wasn't home, in the next hour or so I will write how to use it.

Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:44 am

Cool, I look forward to seeing it tomorrow morning.

Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:52 am

Thanks for the advice, I will take it into account for the next version of the framework I upload.

Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:28 am

Post Re: Phezel Industries(WIP)
I updated the framework and added some more help.
Also separated the mod post from the framework post.
You can check it out here http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=45825&p=556846#p556846.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:25 pm

The mod looks nice, but needs some visual uptouching. At least, the head and the body being completely separate main colors looks weird.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:55 pm

Mohl wrote:
The mod looks nice, but needs some visual uptouching. At least, the head and the body being completely separate main colors looks weird.

Actually, the 'head' of the Strategic Unit is not the complete head, just it's nucleus. Many of the unfinnished units of this mod have one.

You can see the armor for the head in this sheet:

Also sneak peek of future content! One is a big, heavy drone for support (not even started making it).
The other is a Tunneler, wich is almost finnished:

Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:24 pm

I really freakin like the ideas behind this stuff. Especially the tunneler and recovery drone. The biped isn't TOO special, but the features look nice.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]