View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Wrecking Ball 

Post The Wrecking Ball
Have you ever wanted a tool to brutally smash your enemies and beat their transport vehicles out of the sky?
Well, I've got just the thing. For your enjoyment, the wrecking ball.
ImageImage
Under your control, this spherical unit can be propelled through the sky, slamming into targets.
It's equipped with a radial energy weapon, which becomes more powerful the faster you spin and/or fly.
In free air, it can get flying the fastest, doing the most damage, and it works as an excellent anti-aircraft weapon.
But it's also small and maneuverable enough to get indoors and storm enemy bases, quickly tearing through their defenses.
It can burrow through terrain, this is best started with a smash.
With its extreme durability, it can withstand intense impacts over and over again, smashing into enemies at ballistic speeds.
It has a durable outer shell, making it invulnerable to most small arms fire, and resistant to more penetrative rifles.
Since it's so durable, we don't bother loading it into a craft, we just drop it on the landing zone from orbit. Gravity's free. This method is a bit less precise and a bit more hazardous, though, for any other units involved.

Attachment:
File comment: eight hundred thousand joules of destruction
Version 1.1

Roller.rte.rar [21.69 KiB]
Downloaded 5540 times
Use the mouse to aim, click to propel, 'walk' left or right to change angular velocity. (Angular velocity contributes to the energy weapon)

Known bug-- certain impacts can gib it. Dropship explosions' doors and impulse grenades, particularly. Perhaps this is because they cause it to fly off at over 500 m/s, or spin it over 100 r/s. I don't think that can be avoided without adding mass to the ball, which would throw off a lot.
Unfortunately, there is no way to give keyboard users the same controlability as mouse users for this aiming-intense mod, so keyboard users will have to temporarily switch to mouse controls to use this. If you're using the classic keyboard configuration, you can reconfigure back and forth pretty easily anyways.

Elricbro3 did the radial blur on the sprite for me. Inspiration and whatnot from DRLFF in general. DRL made the game it can be played on. I just filled in the rest. :wink:

Overpowered contest winner! Thanks a bunch for the feedback and ratings.

Last edited by Azukki on Sat May 14, 2011 1:10 am, edited 10 times in total.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:34 am

Post Re: Wrecking Ball (Modding Theme Entry: Overpowered)
This is awesome. Simple as that.

EDIT: Not being able to move in the air, Getting stuck in one place under a enemy. Those things are horrible. (Are those some of what just got fixed?)

Last edited by Joesycop on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:46 am
Profile YIM

Thanks. Although a quantified rating of it's awesomeness for the sake of the contest would be handy...

Oh bother, I seem to have forgotten to remove the air breaks, incorporate the graphic rotational error work-around, and fix an inconsequential error...
Updated. Mentioned issues have been resolved.

Edit: Not being able to move in the air? You mean you're stuck on the ground? You can budge free using left and right.

Last edited by Azukki on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:55 am

8.5/10.
A bit of a one-trick pony, but polished and entertaining.
The only improvement I can think of atm would be an AI-controlled version for autonomous destruction.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:59 am

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, it does rely on one feature a bit too much.
Originally I planned to have a few modes for it, signified by the red lights changing colors.
This flying around was actually the second mode I had in mind, the first and foremost being a rolling buzzsaw thing.
I had that working exactly how I wanted, but for the overpowered theme, this mode worked better.
(just use left/right, without the mouse, to kinda see how that worked. It rolled faster, though.)

For the original, balanced concept, this flying mode was going to be like a jetpack, only functional for short jumps. And there was going to be a 'grip mode' where it would stick to surfaces, rolling up walls and such, but that isn't exciting enough for an overpowered theme, and it'll be hardest to implement.

But, this is all a moot point for the sake of the contest, unless I update to incorporate it before the modding time is over.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:17 am

Now when i fire i just fly right and only right and i go through dirt....This is kinda getting lame. I seem slower to. I liked it better when i could jump but couldnt move in air :P

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:31 am
Profile YIM

Huh. I didn't change anything like that. From the original release, you could move in the air exactly as you can now.

The only functional thing I changed was that I removed the feature of pressing down to stop dead in your tracks. (you could still rev up your spinning, though) That half-baked spindash ripoff was intended for the buzzsaw mode, not this flight mode.

Try holding left click and aiming about if you're having trouble with the aiming, it'll help you get a feel for the controls.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:52 am

9/10

Very nice Indeed. The Buzzsaw effect really gets the lethal feeling into it and I love to just roll around with it and shred the green team that get in my way

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:54 am

I don't know then. In the last release I clicked(fired) and i would jump up now when i click(fire) i fly directly right and go through anything.... Weird.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:09 am
Profile YIM

Not bad. 7/10. It's a little hard to control. It seems a lot like the Reflective Sphere from the Hueg Pack o' Mods, though. The difference being this one is destroyable and it can take down doors. The sprites are decent enough, and it's fun burning...uhm...whatever it's made out of across the ground and taking legs off of actors.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:41 am

Joesycop, I simply don't understand why it has been acting differently for you. There never was anything that checked for the ground or limited one to jumping, it was always this same form of propulsion, and if you aim the mouse in a direction and hold left click, it should be propelled in that direction. Maybe try a reinstall? :???:

Nachtauge, why did you have to make me download a huge mod just out of reference so I know what you're talking about? :P
They are similar, yeah. I haven't seen these spheres before, but I think the mouse control is the biggest thing that separates them from this.
Mouse control seems so much more interactive, as if I were holding the wrecking ball and hitting the ships out of the air myself, y'know?
I was going to add in keyboard control support for this mod, very similar to those spheres, but I assumed it wouldn't feel as nicely controllable, and I was definitely right, it's just not the same.

Thanks for the comments.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:18 am

That gif is the most awesome thing I've seen in a long time, sped-up-ness notwithstanding. :P

Azukki wrote:
Perhaps this is because they cause it to fly off at over 500 m/s, or spin it over 100 r/s.

Yeah, I think that's it... I've been hit hard enough by an impulse grenade to drive the ball through one bunker wall and embed it into the next one over, and took no damage. But one time I was spinning and hit the ground, and the added spin made it vanish. Don't think there's anything you can do, unless there's a lua function that stops it from exceeding the max the game allows.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:23 am

Yeah reinstall fixed. How do i rate this way up for the contest?

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:27 am
Profile YIM

Simply state your opinion of it on a conventional out of ten scale in this thread.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:33 am
Profile WWW

10/10 One of the best mods :).

Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next