View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Petition to increase sig length. 

Increase sig length?
Y 61%  61%  [ 14 ]
N 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 23

Petition to increase sig length. 

ImBill wrote:
Daman3456 wrote:
Hay guy's sigs don't use site bandwith. They use the site you hosted them off of's bandwith. So unless you're hosting all your images at datarealms.com it's not going to use all data's bandwith.

Protip: Look up hotlinking. That's what img tags do.

Text in a sig uses datarealms bandwidth, and even a bit of text can add up to a whole lot of bandwidth usage over time.

Oh lawd. There's more bandwith usage in the banner then a bit of text in a sig. Less than 2 kbs won't hurt.

Well, let's see.

2kb x the 900 or so members here is = 1800 kb. 1800 kb / 1024 = 1.7 mb. Assuming that each person calls the data from each page that's just in off topic, that's 131 topics with 4,000 posts.

1.7 x 4,000 = 6,800 mb of data.

It can really add up.

It occurs to me that it may not work this way. Still, over time, if this forum continues to grow, it will add up to a lot of data. Also, for the banner thing, keep in mind that browsers cache images.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:11 am
Profile WWW

Daman3456 wrote:
ImBill wrote:
Daman3456 wrote:
Hay guy's sigs don't use site bandwith. They use the site you hosted them off of's bandwith. So unless you're hosting all your images at datarealms.com it's not going to use all data's bandwith.

Protip: Look up hotlinking. That's what img tags do.

Text in a sig uses datarealms bandwidth, and even a bit of text can add up to a whole lot of bandwidth usage over time.

Oh lawd. There's more bandwith usage in the banner then a bit of text in a sig. Less than 2 kbs won't hurt.

Well, let's see.

2kb x the 900 or so members here is = 1800 kb. 1800 kb / 1024 = 1.7 mb. Assuming that each person calls the data from each page that's just in off topic, that's 131 topics with 4,000 posts.

1.7 x 4,000 = 6,800 mb of data.

It can really add up.

It occurs to me that it may not work this way. Still, over time, if this forum continues to grow, it will add up to a lot of data.

Ooohhh lawd. DR is a company. It makes a game and makes a forum for it. It should be expecting large amounts of bandwith to be used when word of the game gets around. And the post you just made is highly idiotic as it does not consider the fact that not everyone uses the FULL 500 chars. It's also not factoring in the amount of users that actually post here. The amount of active users is probably around 90-100.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:24 am

my sig is kinda big and im still not limited

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:57 am
Profile WWW

Ooohhh lawd. DR is a company. It makes a game and makes a forum for it. It should be expecting large amounts of bandwith to be used when word of the game gets around. And the post you just made is highly idiotic as it does not consider the fact that not everyone uses the FULL 500 chars. It's also not factoring in the amount of users that actually post here. The amount of active users is probably around 90-100.

Data Realms may be a company, but Data still has to pay for the bandwidth with his money. I haven't noticed any advertising, so he would be running this forum/website at a loss.

Of course not everyone would use the full 500 characters, but I was presenting a scenario in which all members were active, and all members use all the available space. If this forum grows enough, it could be assumed that at one point there will be at least 900 active members using all the alloted space for their signature.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:04 am
Profile WWW

I say that, as beta as this game obviously is, we should definitely respect anything that would help to decrease expense, espcially considering that Data had to take a break to do some actual work. Silly Data!

Probably the one thing that annoys me more than ANY OTHER forum feature is extra-big sigs. I say that Striker has the right size sig when it comes to size. Anything else is just too much.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:15 am

try to model your sig after mine (not picture just size)

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:45 am
Profile WWW

I don't like sigs as most of the time they look crap, Omni and Damon both have great looking sigs.
FOLLOW EXAMPLE PEOPLE, also the dude with the banana laser gun has a nice one too

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:33 pm
Profile WWW

You don't like mine? :P I'm taking off the non-userbar image when I change my avatar anyways.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:23 pm
Profile WWW

my sig is big and is only 35 kb too

try to model your sig after mine (not picture just size)

as your pic is 128 px hight, iv epanded the rules to that being the max, as imo its not all that big.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:30 pm

Longer sigs are not needed. It looks stupid when signature is much bigger than post. I'm not vote for bigger sigs. Longer loading time, lower bandwith etc.

EDIT: Hey! Only 2 images?! C'mon!!! 3 was good! Why you lower it to 2?

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2