View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:21 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 I think it's about time to raise some ♥♥♥♥ questions 

Post Re: I think it's about time to raise some ♥♥♥♥ questions
Same here.
Significantly worse, actually.

That's probably due to the Minecraft server, but, meh.
Needs multi-core support. (lol)

Anywho.
I find the tiny drop zones highly inconvenient.
I like the new GUI (like all the pre-mission stuff). Seeing that was actually the high point of my week. Then I started playing, and went "meh".

Should have been build 23.5.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:16 am

Post Re: I think it's about time to raise some ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ questions
And a year sooner.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:30 am

So the general consensus is "Too little, too late, and please stop gloating on twitter"?

Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:20 pm

Dr. Evil wrote:
So the general consensus is "Too little, too late, and please stop gloating on twitter"?

Seems that way.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:04 pm

I find this saddening too, especially after reading his tweets.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:08 pm
Profile YIM
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

So, let me get this straight: you are upset because I am admittedly lazy about reporting progress? Because I am honest about my financial situation? I hate repeating myself, but what I've done for the last two or ten years (how long ago I started working on this) of my life is none of anyone's business but my own.

I started this project because I wanted to make - and more importantly, FINISH - a game that I had dreamed of. I built it to be easily modifiable, and set up a website to show it to the world. I have always been delighted to see so many people enjoying the game, even in its very unfinished state.. but please realize that I am making this for myself, and at my on pace. If you think I am still working on this after a decade just to please the community which has sprung up around it.. then I'm afraid you're mistaken. I have a clear vision for what the game will be when it's done, and I'm going to keep plugging away at it at my own pace until I get there. If that means it spends whole years on the backburner (which it has, several times), then so be it.. but I always come back to it eventually, and intend to keep doing so until I can proudly declare it a finished product and move on.

If anyone sincerely wants to help, and I think they have the skills and talent necessary, I am super glad and appreciative to have them on board. If people are ready to support the project by buying a copy, I am also happy since it gives me more freedom to work on it as I please. But that does NOT mean that I owe you anything after your purchase of a license.. I set the price to what I thought was reasonable for the amount of fun you can have with the CURRENT build. There was never any promise, implied or explicit, about how quickly any future update would come. Only that you would have access to them - if any - without paying more. Even the many who have sprung for the "support Data Realms" option, your extra input is a generous donation which we use for further development of our projects; but it doesn't change the basic deal, and doesn't make us owe you anything more than our sincere thanks.

So, trying to raise a stink about the 'ethics' of doing what I want, however fast I want, with whomever I want on my project.. is a bit of a fool's errand. If this talk really got to me and I felt guilted into working for someone else's sake, I guarantee you my real motivation for finishing this project would evaporate and it would be abandoned. If I wanted someone else calling the shots and telling how fast to work, I could've just spent the time at a programming job.. and made lot more money than I have or probably will make with this game.

In conclusion:
  • I am passionate about and motivated to get this project to a state I can proudly call "finished", but I will do so at whichever way and tempo I feel like.
  • What I do with my time and money is none of your business.
  • I love and appreciate the passion which so many of you share with me for this game, and do have plans for improving the visibility into the development process so expectations don't get so out of whack with the real progress. This may be somewhere else than the devlog (which clearly isn't cutting it); maybe a twitter feed or facebook page.. we'll see.
  • Ophanim is no longer welcome as a guest to this website because he insists on being a rude, disrespectful ♥♥♥♥♥.
  • I wish you all a great holiday season, and do promise that there is a lot more fun coming in the world of Cortex Command, if you choose to stay tuned!

- D

Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:13 pm
Profile ICQ

I was content with B24 actually, even if it wasn't everything promised since I'm sure things will pan out in the future.

My only real wish is that you'd take part in the community, Data.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:46 pm

I understand your stance Data, but the silence is turning people off of the game. A devlog post every month or two wouldn't hurt, even if it you haven't made any progress. Just let those who like the game know that you're actually alive so the IRC dwellers won't have to start stalking you on other communities / the blog of your wife. Although most including me are pretty jaded at this point.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:15 pm

yeah it would be rad for you to make more frequent updates.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:18 pm

Please avoid this social media business for developement logging. Pretty please.

Honestly though, I'd say that this thread has outlived it's usefulness.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:21 pm
I posted this:
Quote:
Let me start off by apologizing for my previous rude behavior. I think the ban was quite unnecessary, but then again so was my insults. I was angry, and understandably so to a lot of people on the forum. My intention was never to insult, merely to tell you how I feel. They were honest statements, if a bit blunt.
The issue has never been what you have to do, or your motivations, or whatever. It's your complete thanklessness. WE are the reason you can live your life the way you do, without the daily grind. You put forth the work to get the product you have, but we're the ones who put forth the money. You don't owe us anything, you never promised us anything, you're not obligated to do anything. All of this is true. But don't you understand how to be thankful, and how to return the kindness(es) that we've done you by buying an unfinished product that doesn't get a lot of progress? The community is the reason you've gotten several awards. We're the reason your game is so popular. We're the reason you're successful at all. I personally bought three keys, two for people who couldn't afford them, simply because I love this game and I wanted to share it with people. I've convinced much more than that to buy it. I'm sure there are people in the community who have done even more. You don't advertise, Dan, and the Indie community doesn't get a large amount of press. Most of your sales up until the Humble Indie Bundle 2 were because of us.
What I am trying to say is this: We've all put in work on this game. We've all done our part to ensure your success. And now, we feel forgotten. You don't care about the community, because you already have our money, and aren't thankful enough to us to put in some decent work into the game. Yes, this is your project, and you make your own hours, and all that "I'm the boss I do what I want" jazz. But is it really that much to ask that you give us at least a little more than what you have?

Dan responded with this
Quote:
Ah, of course it's you. Anyway, in the future, I suggest you think about your accusations and how they may apply to yourself before you make them. "Thankless", "entitled", etc. comes to mind. Also, if I'm the worst indie developer, then you're certainly the worst fan I've ever heard of.

You know you're not welcome here, and haven't been for years, but judging from your track record I'm sure you're going to squirm your way around any attempt at banning you. I'll guess staying away from the forums is the only way I can really avoid you and your toxic attitude. This isn't the first time you've made me regret getting involved in the discussion here.. don't bother replying to this as you know I don't read the PM's here, exactly because of people like yourself.

- D

I tried to make peace and you use me as an excuse to ignore the community. My thanks to you was buying your game, and yes I was a little entitled. You remind me of those modders who don't get praise and exultation for everything they do and the first time they get a rude or negative response, they ragequit and delete their mod and never come back. You're an adult, you should be able to handle rudeness and negativity with grace. I apologized, you threw it in my face, and ran off to abandon your community once more. Not cool, Dan. Not. Cool.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:27 pm

Data wrote:
Today I'm going to write a devlog entry about why the metagame wasn't shipped as playable in this build...

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:34 pm

Ophanim.

Though you do make some valid points, you do it in the least polite way possible.
You insult him and his work, then you call him a con artist.
To top it all you try and incite some sort of riot.

Data reads your post and, understandably, bans you.

What do you do? You come along, using an alt, and accuse him of overreacting to what you seem to call an honest, polite opinion, and continue to tell him that he's thankless to you for ALL you've done for him.

What do you do when Data responds negatively? You post your conversation and accuse Data of wrongdoing.

What do you expect?
Ophanim, You're being manipulative and rude, and you expect to be treated with respect?

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
CrazyMLC wrote:
Ophanim.

Though you do make some valid points, you do it in the least polite way possible.
You insult him and his work, then you call him a con artist.
To top it all you try and incite some sort of riot.

Data reads your post and, understandably, bans you.

What do you do? You come along, using an alt, and accuse him of overreacting to what you seem to call an honest, polite opinion, and continue to tell him that he's thankless to you for ALL you've done for him.

What do you do when Data responds negatively? You post your conversation and accuse Data of wrongdoing.

What do you expect?
Ophanim, You're being manipulative and rude, and you expect to be treated with respect?

Actually if you had read everything you'd see that I apologized, and I never said polite at all in my post. I acknowledged that I was being a twat about making my point, and then went on to explain why. Reading comprehension, boyo. I posted the conversation because of the way he handled it, and what he said. He tried to get the last word and leave, and I think that's both unfair and, and I didn't want to say this, childish. While doing this, he tried to use me and "people like me" as an excuse to not be active in the community. If I were trolling, I'd call myself successful, because I've obviously hurt his feelings or made him angry or whatever reason he'd have to avoid an entire community of people that love him because of one person who was being insulting.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:37 pm

Yes, in THAT PARTICULAR POST you were being a model perfect poster. I was impressed. HOWEVER, Data was likely affected by you being an asshat earlier, and thus responded with some counter-asshattery.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next