View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Computa hunting 

Post Computa hunting
Alright so for Christmas I'm supposed to get a brand spanking new computer and right now Ive got these two choices in mind with a budget of around $800, Preferably a gaming computer, Both are from Future Shop and seem somewhat decent The only thing that concerns me the most are the graphics cards.

- NVIDIA GeForce GT420
OR
- ATI HD5570

After doing small amount of research, it comes to me that the GeForce is better. Any thoughts? Any Suggestions? Possibly got a different computer in mind?

Please, do discuss.

Here are the two computers Im currently looking at.

- Gateway Intel Core i5 650 - GONE

- Gateway DX Intel Core i5 2300

Last edited by Coops on Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:27 am

Post Re: Computa hunting
I guess building it yourself is out of the question?

If they are both around the same price go for the nvidia one, not the fastest graphics card you can get, but still very decent.

Back to the point of building it yourself though; I think that you could have MUCH faster pc if you assembled it yourself. Cutting out on all the crap that can be recycled from old ones will save $100.(Think CD drive and such things.)
Then there's the fact that when you build it yourself you will not pay for assembly, which currently comes down to about one 5th of a new pc. So yeah, there is a real advantage in building it yourself, or with help from others.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:19 am

I'd highly recommend the computer I just got, 's an Acer Aspire with 4GB of RAM, a 3.0 Ghz processor, a 1066Mhz FSB, and an Intel GMA X4500 integrated graphics card. Now, you're probably thinking, "wait a second that's retarded, the processor is slightly worse, the ram is halved," etcetc; however, this baby will only cost you $375, tax included, free shipping. As in, you could get this, a sizable RAM upgrade, and any video card you want, and it would probably end up being cheaper and faster than the two you have selected. Then again, you may not want to go through that hassle, but you'd probably need to get a new video card anyways :P Keyboard and mouse are included, monitor is not.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:51 pm

I think ragdollmaster has the right idea. Do that.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:09 pm
Profile WWW

375$. Thats god damned inexpensive no matter how you look at it. Even if you end up getting some more ram, a better graphics card and a better processor it's still pretty damn cheap.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:23 pm

To be honest, ragdoll I wanted that in the first place but there is one problem, I live in Canada. OfficeMax Doesnt serve there (Or Atleast I dont think so.). That was what I wanted as The only thing I need is the tower, mouse, and Keyboard and my 26" will just fine as a moniter. Getting that would be just perfect cause I could just get the better components for cheaper than my budget.

Assembling my own to me would be cheaper but I see it as taking too long to even get the parts shiped and then spending so much time trying to figure out what plugs into what, although my father could hep me with that but again the problem is he lives somewhere else. But when time comes I can always beef up this one. I was hoping for a cheap i5 or i7 but these seem to be the only ones.

Right now im planning on getting one this week and right now Futureshop decided to be fat and stop selling the other one so now the DX i5 2300 is on the list till next friday.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Coops9753 wrote:
To be honest, ragdoll I wanted that in the first place but there is one problem, I live in Canada. OfficeMax Doesnt serve there (Or Atleast I dont think so.).

Perhaps you could give around $400 to some trusted friend in the US (family and the like), get them to order it to their address, and then have them ship it to you; I don't know how much the shipping would cost, hence the extra $25 :P Hell, I'm sure there are people on this forum who would do it for you if you asked.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:57 am

Yeah, Coops, gimme $400. What could possibly go wrong?

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:41 am

Not everyone on this forum, clearly :) You'd need a trusted individual who's both reliable and punctual, as well as generally friendly.

OH GET DATA TO DO IT TROLOLOLOL

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]