View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:07 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 sorry for my english im from x 

Post Re: sorry for my english im from x
FoiL wrote:
Although English is piss easy to learn

Debatable. It has one of the most irregular conjugation systems on the planet. It seems easy if you're a native English speaker, or if you learn it from a young age, but compared to more systematic languages, ie, Spanish, it's pretty weird.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Bei
ng a ♥♥♥♥ g
ets th
e poin
t thro
ugh.

Made difficult to read for your inconvinience.
I really don't have the interest to make my ♥♥♥♥ opinions prettier.

So, a ridiculous wall of text ensues.

Okay, it's not normal for you to use English.
How many sentences does it take to catch up on the punctuation? Cyrillics have capital letters don't they?

It's likely that there are scientific records of a person of nationality x learning the language y.
So you know you are bad at language y. Is the first thing you do with it have a chat about high-level abstract concepts with people in the internet? Does x not have libraries with english books in it?
If not, how does it have an internet access?

I'm bad at Swedish. (Chronic lack of motivation.)
It's not a global language, so there's little requirement for it, so why should I learn it. I just avoid in dealing with anything involving communicating in such language. Not interested.

Is there a global language at all?

English has been a daily part of my so-called life for a long time.
(Localized videogames are about the next thing from causing physical harm to yourself.)
Our schools might or might not be good. I might or might not be a good learner.
By age 12 no schoolbook vocalbuary was new to me.

So what? I'm not of nationality x, not the person z, and as such do not get a say. I already have a sizeable vocalbuary, and just know how the language works. I cannot gauge how hard learning the language is. No other languages are comparable for numerous reasons.

We are left with the question about the point in apologizing for your weak language.
I'm certain I'd feel ashamed if I were to speak two words of my fine carelian D-grade Swedish.
Enough that I feel sorry for the people having to hear it? No. Blaming my nationality would be about the most ironic thing I could do.
Blame myself? Well, uh, who cares?

Blame. This means taking responsibility for wrongdoing. Someone needs to take responsibility for bad language? Goverment handles school funding as they do, networks favour dubbed/subbed shows as they do, etc. etc. etc.
People learn as they do. (Pun most certainly intended)

What is there to apologize for?
Was the message of such inferior quality that it might cause physical pain when read? Then why send it?
Are you sorry that you could not do better?

Pretty sure that that's something integral to human nature.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR: Apologizing is pointless, there is nothing sensible to even apologize for. The entire notion of having something clearly defineable, that is not plain laziness, to blame for weak language is absurd.

Just use it to learn it.
A week, a month, two years.

Please, punctuate, and make sense.
Don't get butthurt over friendly advice. (Oh well, you are going to anyways.)

If you don't agree with me, top this post's wordcount and we shall have a physical fight with the printed versions of our posts.

Small offtopiccy addendum: Browsing through the past posts of a certain eyesore poster.
There is slight improvement over the 13 pages of posts he's had. He still fails to make any sense.
More so, he ignores warnings and helpful comments.

His posts are weakly punctuated. Yet I doubt it's the reason for the unclarity. I do not know what is it in his posts.

I cannot help but imagine him as some annoying kid, blabbering senselesly at a rate too fast to listen to.
Has anyone figured out what exactly causes such a effect in a message.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:31 pm

findude you should work on your english

i cant even understand what youre ranting about

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:33 pm

findude wrote:
Bei
ng a ♥♥♥♥ g
ets th
e poin
t thro
ugh.

No, it makes you look like a ♥♥♥♥.

findude wrote:
Okay, it's not normal for you to use English.
How many sentences does it take to catch up on the punctuation? Cyrillics have capital letters don't they?

Punctuation (sometimes) varies between languages, and if the person isn't too bright to begin with, it could take a while. Not to mention that the placement of words varies as well. In England, we all sit together. In Denmark, we sit all together. In China, YOU READ BACKWARDS.

findude wrote:
It's likely that there are scientific records of a person of nationality x learning the language y.
So you know you are bad at language y. Is the first thing you do with it have a chat about high-level abstract concepts with people in the internet? Does x not have libraries with english books in it?
If not, how does it have an internet access?

Probably not, but do show me someone who did that. It is also entirely possible that the local library doesn't contain English books, since the VAST majority of the books in a library are written in or translated to the native language.

findude wrote:
I'm bad at Swedish. (Chronic lack of motivation.)
It's not a global language, so there's little requirement for it, so why should I learn it. I just avoid in dealing with anything involving communicating in such language. Not interested.

That's you, not me or anyone else. Some people are delighted to be human dictionaries, others would rather smoke crack in a hole.

findude wrote:
Is there a global language at all?

Other than grunting and pointing? Nope. But that's why we often have to learn multiple languages, which can result in what you are angrily ranting over.

findude wrote:
English has been a daily part of my so-called life for a long time.
(Localized videogames are about the next thing from causing physical harm to yourself.)
Our schools might or might not be good. I might or might not be a good learner.
By age 12 no schoolbook vocalbuary was new to me.

By the age 12 some people thought me to be 22, which is odd, given my immaturity. However, that is beside the point. Video games are indeed often English, but there is a plethora of translations out there. Spore, for instance, can't decide whether it wants to be English or Danish for me. You can be damned sure that many other major games come in Czech and Spanish languages too. Even our beloved internet has sites of non-English language.

findude wrote:
We are left with the question about the point in apologizing for your weak language.
I'm certain I'd feel ashamed if I were to speak two words of my fine carelian D-grade Swedish.
Enough that I feel sorry for the people having to hear it? No. Blaming my nationality would be about the most ironic thing I could do.
Blame myself? Well, uh, who cares?

Believe it or not, some people care. I agree that apologizing is redundant, but informing people that your English is sub-par can ward off a lot of flaming. People get annoyed by lazy meatbags who outright refuse to write in a sensible manner, though they may have a tad of respect if they know that said person can't do better. Bonus points if the person is also trying to improve.

findude wrote:
What is there to apologize for?
Was the message of such inferior quality that it might cause physical pain when read? Then why send it?
Are you sorry that you could not do better?

Y'know, some forums (hello DRLFF) have rules regarding grammar and such. The person may be apologizing for not being able to live up to the rules.

findude wrote:
Pretty sure that that's something integral to human nature.

Humans are odd. We say false things if everyone else does, and commit atrocities if an authority commands us to.

findude wrote:
TL;DR: Apologizing is pointless, there is nothing sensible to even apologize for. The entire notion of having something clearly defineable, that is not plain laziness, to blame for weak language is absurd.

Actually, i agree. Apologizing is pointless, and blaming your country for it is silly, but chastising people for apologizing is also silly. Let them be sorry if they want, it's not like you'll get stabbed for it.

findude wrote:
Just use it to learn it.
A week, a month, two years.

Some people haven't had that long.

findude wrote:
Don't get butthurt over friendly advice. (Oh well, you are going to anyways.)

haha what

You systematically insult every person with dodgy English by calling them stupid and incompetent. That's bound to get a reaction from someone.

findude wrote:
If you don't agree with me, top this post's wordcount and we shall have a physical fight with the printed versions of our posts.

This would be hilarious.

The parts i haven't quoted are the ones i don't have a problem with, or an opinion about.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

Ok this isn't really going anywhere. Point made, arguments to the contrary made (ohai Contrary), flames will eventually ensue.

Usual jazz, contact a mod if you want this unlocked.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:11 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2