View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:13 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 sorry for my english im from x 

Post sorry for my english im from x
How does that in any way releate to your ability to learn a language, at all?
Are you saying that everyone in x is retarded? x considers english a symbol of capitalist pigdogs? No wait...
Does x not have keyboards with punctuation characters in them? Does x not accept the concept of dividing letters to two groups based on size?

Non-latin alphabet? Well you still seem to have enough ability with the latin one to contradict yourself.

Oh, if you can't yet tell, I'm rather annoyed by bad english. Only second to apologizing for it with senseless excuses.

I mad.

Proper one's would be:

Quote:
sorry for my english...

our schools suck andor i cant learn
im poor in money andor mind and our free schools suck
i cannot bother to press two more buttons to make my messages sensible

No offense people, bad english is bad, deal with it. (As in, learn it.)

I'm sure the sensible people around here can spark some intelligent discussion on this.

So uh, derp, I wrote half an essay on page 2 and deeply gained deep insight into the deeper nature of deeply apologizing. Pot was not involved.
I swear.

Last edited by findude on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:15 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: sorry for my english im from x
I agree with you. I can't remember ever finding a good excuse for bad english.
I think the 'im only so young so i dont speak english very good yet' is the worst excuse of them all.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Forum Rules wrote:
Just because something isn't listed above doesn't mean it's alright to do. Use your common sense when posting - be respectful and try to keep a positive attitude and you'll be fine (eg: no trolling, no pushing the limits of the rules, etc.).
So heads-up: this topic is borderline racist, and it's pretty insensitive to boot. Please keep the discussion civil and sensible or the moderation team will have to descend upon this topic and drag it to the fiery depths of hell.

My two cents: If they're making a genuine effort to speak English, then you should respect that instead of saying "l2english". This is a pretty good example of typical American ethnocentrism. "Hurdur we r the best learn 2 speak americanan or get out." Really don't know what you were thinking making this.

Oh, also, since you're so eager about speaking proper English:
findude wrote:
How does that in any way releate to your ability to learn a language, at all?
Seeing as releate isn't a word, I guess it doesn't. Assuming you meant "relate": If you're raised in Country X, you will learn language X as a child since your learning capacities are much higher. You will always speak your native language much more fluently than you will foreign languages. Furthermore, if your native language is in a different language group than the foreign one you're trying to learn- for instance, English is a Germanic language, whereas most of Eastern Europe uses Slavic languages- it's just that much harder. I would love to see you learn a completely foreign language and speak/write it fluently.
findude wrote:
I'm rather annoyed by bad english... No offense people, bad english is bad, deal with it.... Non-latin alphabet? Well you still seem to have enough ability with the latin one...
Languages should always be capitalized. Ie, "English", "Latin", etc.
findude wrote:
Proper one's would be:
You don't need an apostrophe here. That turns the plural form, "ones", into the possessive, "one's", as in, "One's English abilities." In your case, mediocre.

Perhaps you should brush up on your own linguistic skills before criticizing others.

Last edited by Ragdollmaster on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:33 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Coming from a non-english country myself, I concur.
Location and age has nothing to do with being ♥♥♥♥ at english.

Saying that your english is bad because they are only 13/14/15 is also a stupid excuse, because that's what most people here are. 15 myself.
If you're using the fact that you're under 13 as an excuse, you're actually breaking the terms and conditions of being on the site.

So yeah, become better at english if you're ♥♥♥♥ at it instead of coming up with petty excuses, or just don't come up with excuses at all.

Btw ragdoll, it's an english speaking forum. Plus, I'm a norwegian myself and I can't say I enjoy reading posts with no attention span at all.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:40 pm

Lizard wrote:
Btw ragdoll, it's an english speaking forum. Plus, I'm a norwegian myself and I can't say I enjoy reading posts with no attention span at all.

Ragdollmaster wrote:
If they're making a genuine effort to speak English,

Not "ohey i didnt even use translater me just read by iself, you love!?!?"

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:52 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Just pointing out that even if I come from a non-english country and I am only 14 I've seen Americans who write english worse than I.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:58 pm

How could I not foresee this? Someone actually dissected my unspellchecked post?
Boy, do I look silly now.

Oh and some good ol' personal insults to go with that. Sweet.

Quote:
I would love to see you learn a completely foreign language and speak/write it fluently.

Right.

Good backseat...
err, backsection moderation right there, my lad.

*puts the matches away*
Aaaaand back on topic.

English is a stupidly hard language, and the only way to learn it is using it. This I can see.

But just proper punctuation? Please? Isn't it rather common for any language with a written grammar to have it?

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:03 pm
Moderator Hero

If I joined a French forum, I would do as best I can to learn French. It's far from easy but I don't want to look like an insensitive ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ that can't be bothered, because at the end of the day that's all you look like. At the end of the day, you will get these people turning up and you can either accept them or flame them. It won't take long to figure out which ones actually mean they're sorry and try to improve and the pricks that use it as an excuse, so burning them to a crisp the second you meet them isn't helpful for anyone, best wait a while and see what happens on a case by case basis.

That being said I'm pretty harsh on people who type with their face around here, the good thing about their bad English is that they tend to break rules quite often and continue to do so despite repeated attempts to reconcile with them... which means banhammer.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:12 pm
Forum Moderator

I have to agree with ragdollmaster on the dickishness of the OP. I partially agree though. Hell, I consider myself bad at both punctuation and grammar in general. But I am at least understandable and that is what matters by the end of the day. I guess my point is that if you make a bit of an effort to be understandable, you usually will be. Getting an automatic spell checker also does wonders for small typos or wrongly spelled words. I make extensive use of firefox's built in spellchecker and it is invaluable if you're not the best at English.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:27 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I mentioned once before about making a guide for speaking English properly, but it never came to anything.

Right now I'm trying to learn Russian for the other CC modders.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:39 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

I would imagine that those of you complaining have likely received some sort of instruction in English. A good chunk of the people using this as a so-called "excuse" may very well have no better way of learning the language than to research it themselves. It's one thing to say that people should know how to capitalize (and possibly punctuate) correctly, but do you really expect people to have perfect grammar? English grammar takes practice, and if there is no practice for them in real life, this IS their practice.
I mean, jeez, at least they're acknowledging the fact that their English isn't perfect. What makes you think that every single person apologizing for their English is using it as an excuse, and not just sincerely apologizing?

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

My previous post was pretty biased, sorry bout that.

Anyway, As long as it's readable, it's cool, but when you have a huge wall of text and such, it gets pretty annoying.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:15 pm

Findude, you are being an incredible ♥♥♥♥ about this, but i agree with you PARTIALLY. Any human (barring people with a pathological lack of intelligence) from any country can learn any language with enough practice and/or education, but it just so happens that some countries are plagued by terrible education. And not only that, because as Ragdollmaster mentioned, language groups also play a role. For example, i'm Danish. I could probably learn Norwegian or Swedish with little difficulty, but if i were to learn Russian or Chinese, it would take a LOT of time and effort. In the same manner, a Russian or Chinese person would have a right hell trying to learn Danish. The nationality of the person in question doesn't matter per sé, but their mother tongue does. As much as every English-speaking person wants it to be, the English language is NOT global. Wide-spread in the western world, yes, but not global. Hell, just go south of the Danish border and most people already have dodgy English.

In other, more abstract words, don't call tourists idiots because they don't speak the native language of the country they visit. Just like how most people wouldn't call someone an idiot for not understanding hexadecimals or binary. Why? Because it's not normal for them. That being said, some people are just making horrible excuses (im on interwebz i dnt hav to gramer lolz) in order to save a few seconds. People who are able to write better should do so, but if they can't do better, then that's totally fine by me. I'm not a drill sergeant, y'know.

carefully applied caps adds emphasis herp derp durf

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

I think Shook there summarizes it quite well. Chill, people.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Although English is piss easy to learn it's as hard to master as anything else. Learning all the nuances, phrases and conjugations takes time and some effort. Like shook said English isn't a global language. in most countries we are though the bare minimum necessary to make a halfassed conversation with a plethora of grammatical errors. And I'm not even going to enter the matter of conjugation in terms of relative position within the phrase.

So, stop being a little petty ♥♥♥hole and cut people some slack.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next