View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Headphones - I need me some cans 

Post Headphones - I need me some cans
Hi guys. Let's start at the beginning.

My bird chewed up my previous headphones.
The cord is barely in one piece, and is hanging by a thread. He chewed the copper off of the cord, making it nothing but a bird toy.

So I'm in the market. I need options.
But I don't know anything about buying headphones. I don't want to make a mistake, and I'm hoping someone on here knows what they're talking about.

Any help I could get at all would be good. I'm compiling a list of items that have caught my interest, and I'd love it if anyone could help me at all.

I was thinking about getting a pair of wireless headphones. However, I have some PS3 controllers that are birdie-proof. They're 'braided' charging cords.

So, my headphones need to either have braided cords, or be wireless. This is a major priority. These headphones need to last through birdie onslaughts.

I intend to mainly be using these headphones for listening to music or for videos. I often listen to LPs or podcasts. I will, however, be doing some gaming.
I wear my headphones pretty much every hour I'm awake and at home.

Wired
Corsair-CA-HS1NA
SteelSeries-5H-v2 "I blew em up by listening to music; they are gaming headsets" - Lizard
Sennheiser-HD201

Wireless
Sennheiser-RS120
Sony-MDRRF970RK

My Priorities
Durability
Sound Quality
Battery Life (For wireless)
Comfort (I wont wear it if there's plastic poking into my skull)
Volume Control
Price
Range (For wireless)
Microphone (AKA is a headset/is not)
Weight
Appearance

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:23 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Headphones - I need me some cans
...I'll just leave this here.

I do have however, an amazingly good pair of Sony headphones I scavenged from a trash heap some time ago. Imma try to find 'em and post the model name.

Oh, and buy wired. Nothing sucks more than running outta juice in the middle of a song.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Moderator Hero

I'd go for Sennheiser or Bose myself, usually the more you pay means the longer they last plus they do professional standard cans, but I haven't seen them do braided cords on their products. Mind you if a bird can chew through plastic wires, they will probably chew through fabric braids too. I'd assume that the braids are Nylon so they can take wear and tear but possibly not bird attack - just my 2 British pennies though.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:58 am

What about making your own headphones? i've been thinking about this subject a great deal many times and i think it can be done just with good stuff.

Any thorghts on this idea?

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:29 am

Lol, i've been using the headphones i got from a vending machine for 2 bucks for like a year and a half and they still work.
Also, protip: put your headphones in your drawer after use if you have said birdie for realz.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:32 am

Vending machine headphones? what the large one or the small headphones?

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:40 am

Well, for one thing, he demands my attention constantly. Even when I'm listening to my music.
He finds his way onto me and starts biting any cords he can get his grimy little beak on.

And to outline what happened, I fell asleep in the middle of the day and my brother came home. He sat down and fell asleep right next to my computer. (For what reason I have no idea)
He had the bird on him, who quickly jumped off of him and onto my desk. He went straight to work chewing up my headphone cord. He had hours to do this.

This is why I want a wireless pair of headphones.

I doubt $2 headphones will have good sound quality, or will be able to withstand birdie attacks.
No, I will not use earbud headphones.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:47 am
Profile WWW

They had decent sound quality, i couldnt tell the difference between them and my ipod headphones.
Just get a headset.
SO when you get a room and all that you may actually be able to talk.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:51 am

MLC that story is hilarious.

dragonxp wrote:
They had decent sound quality, i couldnt tell the difference between them and my ipod headphones.

This is pretty self-contradictory.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:28 am
Profile WWW
A HUMAN BRAIN, SAFELY INSULATED FROM THE TERRORS OF HYPERSPACE

Location: Somewhere beyond the endless sea of hyperspace, fighting for your right to call a planet home.
EXPERIENCE THE ULTIMATE WALLET CRUSHING POWER OF BEATS BY DRE.

But yeah thems some good uns. Bought a pair on sale for 150. Good phones.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:50 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I use Mikomi Hi-Fi headphones. They'd be perfect if you have a repetitive bird attack problem, because they're dirt cheap.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Petethegoat wrote:
MLC that story is hilarious.

dragonxp wrote:

This is pretty self-contradictory.

I was just saying it cost like 20 dollars for the ipod ones.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Okay, found 'em:

Believe me, these things are magic. I have a pair of professional (though pretty old) bose headphones and they don't sound nearly as good.

Now I won't lie to you, they are also the strangest headphones I've ever seen. To put them on correctly, you have to keep the speaker end turned forwards, pointing somewhat to the outside of your ears, in a pretty awkard position. It's pretty hard to get them on the right spot.

However, when you do so and tune them to a song - any song at all - you'll instantly be transfixed by the sensation. Each single sound now has a an infinite amount of hidden echoes accompanying it, and even the most monophonic beep feels as if it was simultaneously chanted by the voices of a thousand buddhist monks. All around you seems more real and deep than ever, and you reach a state of ambience connection never before imagined. It is as if you could only see the universe in black and white your whole life, and it now blooms in front of you in absolute 64-bit glory.
And then you suddenly notice, no sound is actually coming from the headphones. It is actually forming in an unidentifiable spot near the back of your head, but not quite there. You feel like there is this strange voice inside your head, who only you can hear, and it tells you all the wonderful secrets to the universe's beauty. Like schizophrenia, except it's awesome.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:58 pm
Profile WWW

That sounds... glorious.

Do you have a version number or anything? Something that could help me find it on amazon?

Speaking of amazon, anybody know of a good place to shop for good deals on headphones?

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:17 pm
Profile WWW

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Forgot to post the most important thing. :roll:

They're Sony MDR-W014 ones. Kinda hard to come by (actually, mine is the only one I've ever seen), but abolutly worth it.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next