View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 France bans burkas! Good or Bad? 
Loose Canon

Post Re: France bans burkas! Good or Bad?
I find neither to be offensive, but if I HAD to pick one, I'd probably pick the shirt since it exposes skin rather than covers it. But I assume you're talking ridiculously low cut, such as one that reaches to or below the bottom of the breast.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:10 pm
Profile WWW

FoiL wrote:
What do you find more offensive, burkas or an extremely low cut shirt?

It's obviously not about 'offensive', or else we would have thrown Mindless Self Indulgence in jail a long time ago. It's about what France views as threatening, both physically and socially.

Physically:
In a culture highly dependant on visual recognition for national security (just look at the camera system in Britain's subways if you don't believe me), France has ruled that what is practically a uniform preventing visual identification is dangerous and undesirable.

Socially:
Burqas and niqabs and threatening to France socially, because they represent a tight-knit culture with vastly different attitudes which refuses to be assimilated. Again, the French have decided that this is undesirable. In this respect, it's more of a symbolic move than anything, showing that the French government doesn't 100% approve of Islam, and isn't afraid of doing non-'politically-correct' things.

However, IMHO, all this will do is piss people off, and is probably the wrong way to go about doing things.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:16 pm

I'd almost forgotten one other thing.
It's also worth noting that french law is very anti-religion. The public display of religious symbols is banned, and unlike american constitution, there's nothing in the french constitution to prohibit laws that suppress religion outside a place of worship.

In addition, the Burqa and Niqab are only mandated by Islamic sects that prevent a woman from owning property, working, choosing her husband, rejecting sexual advances, and driving, among other things.

I'm not sure what I think about the whole thing, as both sides seem to be in the wrong.

An interesting quote on the matter:
Habachi, a French Muslim feminist wrote:
When you wear the full veil, you don't have the right to work, you don't have the right to choose your husband, you don't have the right to love. You are totally in prison. What is the aim of our democracy? What is the aim of our republic? It is to protect. That is a new challenge for our republic today.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:29 pm

Nonsequitorian wrote:
If you want to make sure there are less bombings, check more for suspicious people, scan walking gaits and stuff.

I agree with everything else you've said, and I'm sure you're not being serious about the above, but I just want to say that those are terrible ideas.
Checking for suspicious people is basically going to mean checking minorities in today's societies, and gait recognition is plain retarded.

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:33 pm
Profile WWW

Jesus, I read about this when it was just heating up. I didn't think they would pass it. But, here we are. Frankly, I can't see the rationale behind it, either. And really, I read an article about it just now, and apparently the Netherlands, Belgium, and Switzerland are all considering it. WHY? Why would you ban something that is basically part of their life (I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that where it is practiced it's quite important)? Seriously.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:29 am

So is it any type of headwear that obscures/conceals the face to a certain extent, or specifically Burkas?

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:46 am

Dr. Evil wrote:
Might I point out that in France they have about 3 million Muslim women. French police decided to figure out how many of them wore burqas and/or niqabs and found the number to be ... 367
So we're not exactly increasing national security by leaps and bounds here guys.

HOWEVER.

Homophanim wrote:
ARE YOU ALL ♥♥♥♥ RETARDED? FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION? THE CORE VALUES OF AMERICA? FREEDOM TO PRACTICE RELIGION?.

The United States (along with most other western nations) recognizes freedom of religion as 'freedom of belief and freedom of worship with the absence of any state-sponsored religion'. I can worship who I want, and I can believe what I want, but I can't DO what I want. If I tried to stone someone, the state would probably take issue with that. The French have apparently decided that burqas and niqabs are threatening, and moved to eliminate them.

There is no "freedom of expression" but there is "freedom of speech" which isn't quite relevant here.

In the United States, a work place is not allowed to prevent you from dressing a certain way if it's a matter of religion. Do you know why America was founded? TO FREELY PRACTICE THE PROTESTANT RELIGION. This is basic history.
Quote:
So is it any type of headwear that obscures/conceals the face to a certain extent, or specifically Burkas?

Burqas.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:48 am

TorrentHKU wrote:
I'm just saying it's kind of stupid to say we can't kiss, then when we say they can't do something (which we have what passes as a reason for), they get all indignant and pissy. Double standard bull♥♥♥♥.
Does that really justify engaging in similar behaviour? Does compromising your values in order to go tit for tat with another country exemplify integrity?

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:02 am
Profile WWW

Just to reapply myself: I think the fact that this got voted in is bull♥♥♥♥, but there are arguments on both sides. Not that I side with both. Religious expression is much more important.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:15 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

Allstone, not at all. I'm just saying it's a double standard, and that it's bull♥♥♥♥. Doesn't make it right at all to retaliate, but it's still unfair.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:11 am
Profile WWW

Homophanim wrote:
In the United States, a work place is not allowed to prevent you from dressing a certain way if it's a matter of religion. Do you know why America was founded? TO FREELY PRACTICE THE PROTESTANT RELIGION. This is basic history.

But that isn't the US. That is France. And you know why what we now know as France exists? To free it's citizens from the bourgeoisie and the Catholic church. As such, their religious freedoms are much less... Free. The state makes no secret that it does not approve of religion. This is also basic history.

Homophanim wrote:
Quote:

Burqas.

I don't know the specific wording of the law, but it (at very least) includes niqabs, so it's not specifically burqas. It also isn't Muslim headwear as a whole, as both the chador and the hijab are permitted.

Nonsequitorian wrote:
Dr. Evil's example is a bit extreme. In the US, we have the right to practice religion, but that is not the right to commit a federal crime or state crime or even a county crime, it means that, if it doesn't infringe on another's right, you can practice any religion.

Yeah, my example was a bit much, but you get my point :P The French view it as a crime (and an infringement on other's rights) to display any religious symbol, whether it be a cross or a star of david, in public.

Just to clarify, I'm with alphagamer774. There are arguments on both sides, but religious expression is more important, and French law is silly. I just want to point out how and why this passed in France, and why the unique constitution of France means that this isn't unconstitutional for them. I think that it's stupid and wrong, but I'm just pointing out that the reasons it happened are complex and deep-rooted.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:12 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

this is a remarkably sensible debate

congratulations, drl, you're not entirely ♥♥♥♥ retarded

continue!

Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:36 am

The French are being reactionary and stupid.

They are basing their fears of terrorism and suicide attacks on the Islamic culture and religion, but Islamic religion and culture specificaly forbid the use of terrorism and any form of vigilantes. To commit murder is a capital crime in many Islamic countries so Muslim terrorists are infact breaking the laws of their religion and casting bad light on the rest of their fellow muslims. One might say that the Terrorists are using the capital crime of "spreading mischief in the land" as justification for suicide attacks and terrorism, but not only are vigilantes forbidden and the proper law must be followed, retribution against innocents is also against the law, killing innocent civilians is against the law and commiting suicide is to condemn yourself to the Islamic version of purgatory. As such all terrorists are breaking many Islamic Sharia laws and should be viewed as sepparate from the rest of the Islamic and Muslim population.
So these French bully-boy tacics are both useless and serve only to promote Western-Muslim anger.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:32 am

I generally like to avoid arguments aimed at emotion, but
This illustrates my point pretty well. The national motto of France is Liberty, Equality, Fraternity. Core principles shouldn't be an acceptable sacrifice for security.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:21 am
Profile WWW
Moderator Hero

Major wrote:
The French are being reactionary and stupid.

That pretty much sums it up. I don't like Burkhas, they creep me out a wee bit but damn I'm not going to vote for them to be banned.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next