View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Invisible Children 

Post Invisible Children

Logo for 25 event
I am posting this because I noticed it isn't already here, and I want to spread the word.

Ok. Basically, there is a rebel militia group in Uganda (and it is moving into Sudan) named the Lord's Resistance Army, or LRA. But they have nothing to do with God. Their leader, Joseph Kony, is quite simply a horrible human being. Killing civilians, kidnapping children, etc. There have been peace talks and treaties signed, but he always goes against his word. He has created an army to ravage eastern Africa. Most of their manpower is child soldiers. These kids are kidnapped, sometimes forced to kill their families, given all kinds of drugs and stimulants, mutilated, forced to mutilate others, they become desensitized to death, they become killing machines. This needs to stop.

Did you know Obama passed an LRA Disarmament bill?
No?
Most people don't. Even though this bill has been passed, nothing has really been done to help the Invisible Children, or to stop Kony.

Please, help the kids of Uganda.

Some links to things about Invisible Children, 25, and how to help.
A video about Invisible Children
The website
About 25
A video about the Protection Plan

/Discuss+Spread the word

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:56 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Post Re: Invisible Children
perhaps I'm just an incredibly callous human being but ninety percent of things like this (especially with regards to africa) are such obvious panderings to white guilt that it's goddamn offensive

people not wearing shoes for a day, people wearing purple for a day, people not talking for a day; white people are all about idiotic attempts to "raise awareness," which is in itself a term so idiotic that it scarcely warrants discussion

if you want to do something, stop pretending your faux-activism is going to accomplish anything and go actually do something, anything whatsoever that does not involve you attempting to get me to care

your assumption of my ignorance is peremptory; your assumption of my empathy is insulting; your assumption of my desire to participate is foolish

bottom line: yes, things are happening that are bad
no, I really don't care
sure, that means I'm (according to your arbitrary definition) terrible
no, I really don't care about that either

whoo I am waxing philosophical about this and, ironically, no one cares about my opinion either

w/e

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:54 am
happy carebear mom

Darkdoom wrote:
But they have nothing to do with God.

A point, has any army that has said it had anything to do with God ever actually had anything to do with God?
My guess is no.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:04 am

Grif wrote:
perhaps I'm just an incredibly callous human being but ninety percent of things like this (especially with regards to africa) are such obvious panderings to white guilt that it's goddamn offensive

people not wearing shoes for a day, people wearing purple for a day, people not talking for a day; white people are all about idiotic attempts to "raise awareness," which is in itself a term so idiotic that it scarcely warrants discussion

if you want to do something, stop pretending your faux-activism is going to accomplish anything and go actually do something, anything whatsoever that does not involve you attempting to get me to care

your assumption of my ignorance is peremptory; your assumption of my empathy is insulting; your assumption of my desire to participate is foolish

bottom line: yes, things are happening that are bad
no, I really don't care
sure, that means I'm (according to your arbitrary definition) terrible
no, I really don't care about that either

whoo I am waxing philosophical about this and, ironically, no one cares about my opinion either

w/e

Raising awareness so those people who are now aware can raise the awareness of people who will also raise awareness which gets people to raise awareness then those people can raise awareness so as to get people to raise awareness which, in turn, gets people to raise awareness which accomplishes our goal of raising awareness so more people will raise awareness and then we can ARE YOU GETTING MY ♥♥♥♥ POINT YET

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:45 am

wow whats with all these ♥♥♥♥ opinion on dr nowadays

so what if people want to make a (useless) token effort to make themselves feel better about something they don't really want to/cannot really control

thats basically life in a nutshell

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:44 am

Blood Diamond rose about all the awareness that's going to be raised.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:06 am

If people only understood the mafia that are poverty awareness companies. Mainly those that sell those toys for 5-10 bucks. From a personal report I found out that only 15% of each toy actually goes into charity, while 50 goes to the salesman and the rest to the company. The same applies for the food collection campaigns and pretty much all other charity organizations.

The only actual way for people to make a lasting difference is by completely stopping support to major parts of Africa, since most money and rations get stolen by warlords, "politicians" or are simply badly distributed.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:59 pm

@Grif
I personally do not care if you care or not. I do not think you are terrible, I just think you are a hardened against human suffering.

@Duh
I was just pointing out that they are not following the regulations of any form of Christianity, or any other religion (asaik). I mean damn, the Nazis used crosses on almost everything, yet they murdered 11 million people.

@Contrary
Maybe it is useless, but in the overall scheme of things you are useless... almost every human is.

@Major
But wasn't Blood Diamond about Sierra Leone?

@FoiL
But at least that 15% goes to helping other people. It is better than nothing

Summary: Almost everyone is useless, people do not care about people, the charity is useless.
Seems kinda depressing to me.
Conclusion: The world is a shitty corrupt place... or at least the internet is.

Last edited by Darkdoom on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:35 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

It's badly distributed money, it doesn't help as much as it could. Hell, in some cases it might make it worse, considering how some of it finances warlords and oppressors.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Darkdoom wrote:
@Duh
I was just pointing out that they are not following the regulations of any form of Christianity, or any other religion (asaif). I mean damn, the Nazis used crosses on almost everything, yet they murdered 11 million people.

The cross isn't an exclusively Christian symbol, just so you know.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:52 pm
Profile WWW

I know but mostly when people talk about crosses they are referring to Christianity, once again afaik.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:00 pm

May I mention the crusades? But that's a completely different subject.

Darkdoom actually summarized matters ratter well. Whatever involves money is useless, charity campaigns are useless, as well as awareness campaigns. And yes, the world is a "corrupt and shitty place". Whoever you help would've simply gone past you without so much as a whim or expression of the slightest sentiment. Be aware that most money that goes into africa is "displaced" by the system and used on mercedes, wine and ladies.

Do not take this as a give up sign, just take this into consideration whenever you see any form of charity.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:01 pm
A HUMAN BRAIN, SAFELY INSULATED FROM THE TERRORS OF HYPERSPACE

Location: Somewhere beyond the endless sea of hyperspace, fighting for your right to call a planet home.
Go to Africa and feed some child soldiers or something.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:53 pm

give me a around a few thousand dollars and I will.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:59 pm
DRLGrump

Nothing you can do, short of going over there and actually helping, will make those children's lives any better. And as terrible as it may sound, I find it extremely hard to care about something happening halfway across the globe that will never directly affect me.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next