View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Random ranting? 
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: debate
I could not agree more.

Sat May 14, 2011 6:54 pm

To me, the (catholic) church is based around a literal interpretation of the bible. My point is that it would be a difficult thing to make people stop taking the bible so literally.

Tue May 17, 2011 2:08 am
DRLGrump

Have you ever been to a Catholic mass? I was a Catholic for 16 years. I can assure you, the Catholic church does not in any way endorse a literal interpretation of the Bible. It's one of the Protestant religions (I want to say Baptist, but I can't be sure) that believe that the Bible came down directly from God's mouth.
Try looking around a bit before saying stupid things.

Tue May 17, 2011 2:28 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

For me the Bible is like a "Guide to be a better person" or something in that way. Not the only one, not the most important or stuff, because I'm pretty sure that there is people that lived many years before the Bible was even written and they were good people, and I'm also pretty sure that there is people who don't believe in any religions and are still good people.

What I mean is that the Bible is one of those books that help you change the way you look at the world. Sometimes there is people that don't need it because they already have their way to look at the world, and that's natural, people are different and everyone can have their own identities on anything.

The problem goes when people get really into it, and take it very, very seriously, and try to convert people and condemn different thoughts. That's why people don't like much religion, because random dude A or random dude B are religious "idiots" and then they think "Every religious dude is an idiot".

Seriously, people can believe as much as they want in any god or religion without having it interfering in any other aspect of their lives.
I'm pretty much Catholic, I believe in God and everything Jesus said and stuff in the Bible and stuff, but that doesn't mean I won't hear Heavy Metal, go to parties, say "Holy ♥♥♥♥!", accept gay people, etc.

Really, job, politics and religion shouldn't take over anyone's life.

Tue May 17, 2011 2:49 am

Well any points I would be interested in making have either been stated or refuted.
As long as there are overly zealous people, they will take the bible literally. That is all I am saying.
By the way what I said wasn't necessarily stupid - things are different in different countries.

There doen't seem to be much further to add, so please feel free to suggest a new topic.

Thu May 19, 2011 4:52 pm

I have a question for people.

Is judgement the basis for much of humanity's problems?
[edited
Prejudice is a prior belief a person has (about something else), which influences their actions. Example: this black person i know absolutely nothing about is less smart than myself (because he/she is black).
Judgement leads to prejudice.]

The problem with judgement is that it is a belief. Beliefs can be twisted, and they can be wrong.

Judgement is wrong - any decision should be based upon fact, not belief.

Last edited by pseudorastafari on Mon May 30, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 28, 2011 4:39 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

You mean prejudice?

Yeah, most problems are born thanks to ignorance. There is many people that, for example, don't actually know which are the differences about being black or white and simply sum it up in "stupid niggers", something very stupid to do.

If people could educate themselves enough, the world would be different. And with education I don't necessarilly mean going to school/highschool/university.

Sun May 29, 2011 1:45 am

Judgement and prejudice are intertwined. I do not mean prejudice - I actually mean that judgement justifies, and eventually leads to prejudice (which determines your judgements). I will explain tomorrow.

Asklar wrote:
If people could educate themselves enough, the world would be different. And with education I don't necessarilly mean going to school/highschool/university.

agreed.

Sun May 29, 2011 5:07 am

"Judgement" as you are describing is prejudice

Sun May 29, 2011 12:30 pm

Well I would describe prejudice as a deeply ingrained belief which likely influences one's actions. A judgement is a decision - which could even be a decision on how to view the topic - that one makes based on their interpretation of a situation/person/fact.

Prejudice is a word that implies irrationality and even immorality. Judgement does not imply wrongful behaviour, and, indeed, is a necessary part of life. But judgements lead to prejudice. You must make a series of decisions on how to view a certain group of peope, in order to become prejudiced - this series of decisions is a series of judgements.

This is the problem with judgement - it can be both bad and good. The very idea that something bad can sometimes be good lends to self-justification. Say you call the cops on the man walking behind you, judging him to be a criminal. Just before they arrive (saving your life), he pulls a knife - turns out he was a serial killer. Now, every time you see a person who you think looks like a criminal, the idea pops into your head that maybe they are. This, if you ask me, is the road to prejudice.

Mon May 30, 2011 6:11 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Judgement doesn't lead to prejudice, egoism does.

Mon May 30, 2011 6:54 pm

Isn't egoism just a judgement?

Tue May 31, 2011 6:19 pm

This thread is dead. Feel free to rant

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6