View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Watchu know about Order of Operations? 

Answer?
1 25%  25%  [ 15 ]
9 75%  75%  [ 45 ]
Total votes : 60

Watchu know about Order of Operations? 
DRLGrump

Post Re: Watchu know about Order of Operations?
I don't know why you think I've got the left to right order messed up. Literally all throughout high school I was taught that you always distribute the numbers directly next to parenthesis, unless there's an operation symbol in between.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:57 am

But distribution is nothing more than a form of multiplication. Hence, under PEMDAS, it is the third step, done from left to right, in order, simultaneously with division.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:38 pm

(sorry if I'm mistakenly bumping an older thread, I just thought I'd put my two bob's worth in)

I was always taught by BIMDAS: Brackets; Indices; Multiplication; Division; Addition; Subtraction.
The way I would solve this would be:
6 ÷ 2 ( 1 + 2 )
Doing what's in the brackets first...
6 ÷ 2 ( 3 ) ===> 6 ÷ 2 x 3
The number in ouside the bracket has an implied multiplication relationship with the result inside the bracket, which is why the brackets disappear, and the multiplying sign appears between the 2 and 3. We can't do anything with the 6 and 2 first because the brackets are still there to be removed and replaced with that multiply symbol.
So after the brackets are gone, we deal with multiplication next...
6 ÷ 2 x 3 ===> 6 ÷ 6
Multiplication literally comes first before division, which is how I resulted in ' 6 ÷ 6 ' instead of how some people work left to right. Which is why I came up with 1 instead of 9. My method of executing this particular order of operation is what was I was taught in school, and it's also what's used at tertiary level in Australia, so I'm not sure if it's a country to country difference, but I believe myself to be correct. But I won't count out the other answer yet because maths has changed a lot over the ages, and like other things, it's always updating.
What confuses me the most is that my graphics calculator deduced the original sum with the answer of 1, but when it was simplified as I did above without the brackets, it did come up with 9. I think it's the implied multiplication with the 2 and the sum within the brackets, that confuses the calculator, but that's just my opinion.
In all, I think both arguments are rational, but it's kinda like the chicken and the egg. We'll all eventually find out the answer whatever it is, and I'll follow whatever rules are in place then, even if it ends up that I've wasted my time with my wrong answer... lol
(I've not attempted to offend anyone, I'm open to everyone else's working out, so please don't attack me personally for my views)

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:43 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

The BEDMAS/BEMDAS/BIDMAS/BIMDAS/whatever variation of the same thing is misleading.
You should be doing multiplication and division at the same time from left to right.
This also is the case with addition and subtraction.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:40 pm

This is the stuff you learn in 6th grade. It isn't hard. Or confusing.

Can we lock this thread?
Please?

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:43 pm
Profile WWW

Natti wrote:
The BEDMAS/BEMDAS/BIDMAS/BIMDAS/whatever variation of the same thing is misleading.
You should be doing multiplication and division at the same time from left to right.
This also is the case with addition and subtraction.

PE M/D A/S
Quote:
This is the stuff you learn in 6th grade. It isn't hard. Or confusing.

Can we lock this thread?
Please?

Yeah let's lock a thread because you think the answer is simple nevermind that people are getting it wrong and it obviously needs explained.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:22 pm

Homophanim wrote:
Yeah let's lock a thread because you think the answer is simple nevermind that people are getting it wrong and it obviously needs explained.

I have to agree on that point, no reason to lock it, especially when more can be added by others. As much as I'm glad CrazyMLC agrees with my answer, I for one would like to see where everyone would get their sources, I'm still trying to dig through my old stuff. Oh and I can't remember who said it, but would like to know who has died from this to prompt the post... News story anyone?!

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:35 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Wikipedia wrote:
These mnemonics may be misleading, especially if the user is not aware that multiplication and division are of equal precedence, as are addition and subtraction. Using any of the above rules in the order "addition first, subtraction afterward" would also give the wrong answer.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Raziel wrote:

Aaand that is wrong.
Natti wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:
These mnemonics may be misleading, especially if the user is not aware that multiplication and division are of equal precedence, as are addition and subtraction. Using any of the above rules in the order "addition first, subtraction afterward" would also give the wrong answer.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:20 pm

Parenthesis
Exponents
Multiplication
Dividing
Adding
Subtraction

Just made it 10x easier.

Edit: I actually looked at the OP, and somehow I got 3.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:20 pm

It's 9.

6 / 2 (1+2)

PEMDAS: Parentheses, exponents, multiplication AND division done in order from left to right, addition AND subtraction done in order from left to right.

First step: Simplification of what's in parentheses.

6 / 2 (1+2)
6 / 2 (3)

Second step: Simplifications of numbers with exponents. No need to do that.

Third step: Multiplication and division done from left to right. Distribution is not a special mathematical operation. Distribution is just a form of multiplication. Hence:

6 / 2 (3)
3 (3)

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:44 pm
DRLGrump

Yes, we've seen that done plenty of times. But I was taught that distributions was an implied operation, which gives it higher priority. Blame teaching differences.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:47 pm

Well, it obviously needed to be reiterated/reexplained since there were people who didn't understand it.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:00 pm

Tomaster wrote:
I don't know why you think I've got the left to right order messed up. Literally all throughout high school I was taught that you always distribute the numbers directly next to parenthesis, unless there's an operation symbol in between.

This is correct.
If 9 is the correct answer, then why did I almost fail that chapter in middle school because I was using the same logic as people saying the answer's 9?
It's 1 because the M in PEMDAS is clearly before the D, that's why It's PEMDAS, and not PEDMAS.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next