View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 PSN Hacked... 

Post Re: PSN Hacked...
MetalChao, how is a single day 'significant time' between learning that personal information may have been stolen, and telling the public?

Thu May 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Ociamarru wrote:
MetalChao, how is a single day 'significant time' between learning that personal information may have been stolen, and telling the public?

1) I'd like the source that it was a day, because everywhere else disagrees
2) It's still 23 hours longer than it should have been

Thu May 12, 2011 9:50 pm

http://ps3.nowgamer.com/news/5662/psn-s ... -wednesday

Thu May 12, 2011 9:52 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

They might have learned the full extent then, but when your servers containing credit card info aswell as user info for a shitload of users get hacked, you should be prepared for the worst.

Thu May 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Yes, what I did not mean was that they waited a week after finding that credit details were definitely involved.
I am annoyed that they waited a week after learning that there was even the possibility that people might have their bank accounts messed with by other people. As soon as their stuff got hacked they should have said so, in order to let people prepare. Not sat there and waited and double checked.

Thu May 12, 2011 11:59 pm

So you're saying that as soon as they saw a discrepancy which could be due to something as trivial as a petty DDoS attack from a wannabe Anon, they should have screamed "FIRE!", shut down the servers, and told every customer to contact their lawyer and cancel their credit cards?

Yeah that would have blown over nicely.

Fri May 13, 2011 12:28 am

Honestly, I think they handled it WAY better than people give them credit for. And it seems that many of the claims of their wrongdoing (waiting too long, not even having firewalls, using 5-year-old software that could easily be updated) are all unsubstantiated, and have evidence to the contrary.

Fri May 13, 2011 12:47 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:
So you're saying that as soon as they saw a discrepancy which could be due to something as trivial as a petty DDoS attack from a wannabe Anon, they should have screamed "FIRE!", shut down the servers, and told every customer to contact their lawyer and cancel their credit cards?

Yeah that would have blown over nicely.

Shall I repost the link I was apparently disproven by?
http://ps3.nowgamer.com/news/5662/psn-s ... -wednesday
They had already screamed fire and closed the PSN network at this point, so people weren't able to play their multiplayer games so that's already a very drastic action, but did not bother telling anyone their credit card details might be in danger on top of that until seven days after shutting off their multiplayer games.
Do you see where I am coming from now?

Last edited by Metal Chao on Fri May 13, 2011 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 13, 2011 1:13 am

nope im taking that post out cuz its making me look associated with roast veg

Last edited by Contrary on Fri May 13, 2011 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 13, 2011 1:14 am

...Except that they weren't sure, and it would probably piss lots of people off if they told everyone right away that their info might have been stolen, then it turned out there was no info breach and everyone who had cancelled all their credit info, bought credit monitoring ♥♥♥♥, etc. etc. had wasted their time and money.

Fri May 13, 2011 1:15 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Contrary wrote:
What Sony needs to do is double layer their doors and put up portholes for their archers.

They didn't mine enough stone!
Why didn't they just build it out of rope in the sky? That way they could move it around.

Fri May 13, 2011 1:18 am

Ociamarru wrote:
...Except that they weren't sure, and it would probably piss lots of people off if they told everyone right away that their info might have been stolen, then it turned out there was no info breach and everyone who had cancelled all their credit info, bought credit monitoring ♥♥♥♥, etc. etc. had wasted their time and money.

^

Ociamarru wrote:
Honestly, I think they handled it WAY better than people give them credit for. And it seems that many of the claims of their wrongdoing (waiting too long, not even having firewalls, using 5-year-old software that could easily be updated) are all unsubstantiated, and have evidence to the contrary.

Entirely true. There are a lot of "people" (I personally don't consider whiny, unappreciative, spoiled tweens to be the same species as myself, but for the sake of argument I'll refer to them as such) who are acting like it's Sony fault for getting hacked. Yeah, no. Nothing is impregnable. This could have easily happened to a service like Steam, Xbox Live, and... whatever Nintendo has. Also, I really don't understand the people who are like "THIS IS WHAT YOU DESERVE, YOU GREEDY JAPANESE NAZIS"- where the ♥♥♥♥ did that come out of? I think there are some slowpoke.jpegs who still think that this is Anon attacking SCE because of them suing that firmware modder, but Anon has already confirmed that they're not doing it. They did take down the PS store at one point for a few hours, but stopped quickly after when they realized that, quote, "We were hurting the consumers more than the company"- if they see making the store inaccessible as being overly harmful to the users, then why would they do something so drastic that Sony would shut down the whole network?

Personally, I think they're doing a fantastic job. As of yet, they've protected everyone from damage/fraud and are even offering some free identity protection service (with a reimbursement policy of up to $1,000,000) in addition to everything else in the so-called "welcome back" pack, which includes a month free of PS+, and some free exclusive downloads from the PS store. I just want PSN back up so that the stupid part of the fanbase stops whining.

Fri May 13, 2011 2:10 am
Loose Canon

Just found this ESPECIALLY hilarious.

Fri May 13, 2011 9:47 pm
Profile WWW

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/ ... egins-now/

Woohoo!

Sun May 15, 2011 1:20 am

Sun May 15, 2011 1:34 am